wine Pesach

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: wine Pesach

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:27 pm

Adam Peters wrote:I always suffer from the fact that a wine looks so nice in the rack, and I know that once I drink it I might not be able to get it again.

Adam, I know the feeling but as a fellow (and very well-known) wino wisely told me once: "Don't ever get involved with your bottles. Drink them before it's too late. You might find the same wine again and if you don't, there'll always be plenty of other great wines out there to enjoy".

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Just a thought --- would 2010 Tzuba Pinot Noir be good for the seder?
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Josh Kramer wrote:Personally, I think a wine like the Alexandeer Sandro is great for at least one of the cups of the seder. Its not obviously a semi-sweet but has some sweet chocolate and vanilla notes and very easy drinking

+1

Other easy drinking yet quality and delicious red wines include

AlexEli Pinot Noir
Capcanes Flor la Flor
Galil Mountain Ela
Hevron Heights Isaac's Ram
Dalton SMV
Ella Valley Merlot
Psagot Merlot
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Josh Patt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm considering using the Galil Mountain Alon and maybe the Shilo Legend.
Wines with some body, but still fruity and soft enoguh to go down without a fight.

BTW Adam, the Ella Valley Merlot is a full bodied wine with a lot of tannin. I think it's an excellent wine, but I wouldn't call it easy drinking.

Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Someone asked me to get them wine for Pesach. These are the ones I got. Only tasted the last 2. Curious how all of them taste. Har bracha petit sirah. Ariel shiraz (araza)2011. Yogev malbec/carignan. Alta delta carmenere chile. Galil mt shiraz 09 and of course galil mt ela'10. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:20 am

These are the wines I'll be choosing from over Pesach, in no particular order:

Yarden Merlot Magnum 2001
GHW Yarden Cab 2007
GHW Yarden Cab 2006
GHW Yarden Kela Merlot 2006
Galil Yiron 2007
Galil Yiron 2008
Galil Yiron 2009Shirah Bro.deux 2010
Dalton Cabernet Reserve 2009
Four Gates Cabernet Franc 2007
Domaine Netofa Rose
Covenant Landsman Zinfandel 2011
Covenant Landsman Pinot 2011

I'll also be opening a bottle of Quevedo Ruby Port, Yarden T2 2008, and possibly Yarden Botrytis 2004 & 2007.

For the Arbah Kosos / Four Cups I plan on drinking Zion Dovev Cabernet Semi-Sweet as it is lighter in alcohol, non-mevushal, and easy to just gulp down. I also found a perfect size glass that I am using - the Schott Zwiesel Tritan Bar Special 3.8 Oz Grappa Glass. That way I will still be able enjoy the good wines by the actual meal.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:01 pm

To start with -
2006 Red C cabernet,
2009 Yaffo syrah,
2010 Hagafen rousanne and
2011 Carmel Kayoumi riesling;

for the 4 cups, our usual kiddush wine, Kesser Concord, but some of our guests will use grape juice.

After that we will see. Most of our guests are not big drinkers.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:35 pm

Man, what is up with all of you and sweet /semi sweet for 4 cups? You're supposed to use your best wines. For me that's 4 Gates PN: I think I'll do a bottle each of the 10, 09, and Cuvee D. Haven't decided on 4th bottle yet. For meal I'll go with 4 Gates chardonnay, to balance out all that red wine.
Riedel spirit of O is a perfect becher at a moderate 8.5 ozs.
For day meals I'll go with a variety of 4 Gates, including the incredible CF, which is one of the greatest wines I have ever tasted. Can't wait!
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Moadim l'simcha!

So, I ended up with the following:

Seder:

4 cups: Dalton Petite Sirah 2011, delicious, smooth, creamy, rich blueberry and easy drinking, crowd pleaser.

Shulchan Orech/meal: Carmel Limited Edition 2008, incredible. Decanted 3 hrs+ beforehand. Improved even more on Day 2.

Lunch:

Carmel, Kayoumi Vineyard, Riesling 2010: Seems to be on its way down or perhaps I don't have enough experience with Riesling and there's more to expect, I don't know... Sweetness has almost receded, you really need to pay attention to detect any. Light gold with some green reflections, on the nose sweet lemon, yellow plums and petrol, almost dirty socks, medium in body with some tropical fruit along with the yellow plums, some bitter yellow grapefruit on the mid-palate with somewhat salty stoney minerals with some lemon zest on the moderate finish. Drink up.

There will certainly be some more wines over Chol Hamoed (aside from my wineries visits tomorrow at Zichron Yaakov and Recanati).

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Z Spigelman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:31 am

First Cup - Gvaot Herodion Vineyards Dance 2009
Second Cup - Recanati Special Edition 2011
Third Cup - Dalton Alma SMV 2009
Fourth Cup - Gvaot Herodion Vineyards Dance 2009
Moadim L'Simcha.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:38 am

With an apology to all the purists here, we also used grape juice for the arba kosot.

With the meal: Psagot Shiraz 2010 - excellent
Tues lunch - Bravdo Chardonnay 2011
Odem Mountain Volcanic CS 2009. An unpleasantness on the nose that quickly dissipated. This wine became more drinkable after being open for 30 minutes. However, the consensus around the table was "underwhelming/disappointing."

Moadim le'simcha
Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Mo'adim l'simcha

First seder:
2010 Tzuba Pinot Noir --- excellent seder wine
2010 Vignobles David, le Mourre de l'Isle
2011 Hagafen, Lake County, White Riesling
First day:
2004 Recanati RSR --- reported on "longevity" thread
Second seder:
2010 Capcanes, Peraj Petita --- just fine on its own terms, but not a great seder wine; maybe could use some further cellaring.
2011 Dalton Rose --- does the job it is supposed to.
Second day: 2010 Binyamina Chardonnay (unoaked) --- Fine, but nothing special.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:02 am

Tasted many wines yesterday first day of Chol hamoed in Israel at Carmel, Tishbi and Recanati including advance tastings with winemakers Gil and Koby of 2011 Wild Carignan and 2011 RSR. Will report on these later.

Last night enjoyed a BBQ in my backyard in the company of 2 nice wines.

Carmel, Appellation, Cabernet Franc 2009: Deep purple with on the nose bursting milk chocolate and moka followed by classic green pepper, strawberries, raspberries and pipe tobacco. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate ripe, almost jammy raspberries, green pepper, plums, cassis, tobacco leaves, cilantro, sweet cherries, nice acid, chocolate covered coffee beans and good tannins on the long finish. Great QPR. Nice evolution over the course of the meal with the fruit reall shining after 2 hours or so.

Psagot, Cabernet Franc 2008: Wanted to stick with CF after 2 bottles of the Carmel.
Purple with garnet at the rim, nose features also green pepper along with sweet toasty oak and plums. Medium-bodied with ripe plums, Mediterranean herbs, loamy dirt, acidic cherries, spicy sweet oak and vanilla with a hint of tobacco and cracked black pepper with silky tannins on the long finish. Lacking a bit of acid and tannins are close to have fully integrated. Drink now.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby gaston k » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Happy Pesach

Seder Nights - 4 cups both nights on Kesser (easy drinking, if a bit Nyquilly)
With Meals:
Night 1 - BR Cohn CS 2008 - starting to age a bit, but really smooth and honestly different than most CS out there.
Lunch 1 - Psagot Shiraz 2009 - yummy.
Night 2 - Baron Rothschild Haut-Medoc 2000 Bordeaux (non-mev) - still kicking, throwing off some fine sediment, really good
Lunch 2 - Cantina Gabriele 2011 Chianti - just fine with dairy meal
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi Harry,

Having had so many wines over the past several days, it was difficult to give each and every one sufficient attention.

Whites:

Carmel Kayoumi Reisling 2010 - The wine shed much of its baby fat, showing leaner than before, with its sweetness diminished, and its acidity more pronounced. The palate is redolent with lime, tangerine, and pomelo. Unlike Gabriel, who thinks this wine is past its peak, I don't detect anything to indicate that it is on its way out. B/***/Y

Goose Bay Pinot Grigio 2011 - The fruity notes of apples and pears are showing brightly, and the bit of residual sugar lends it extra heft. It was pleasant, if not sublime. I used it for the first two cups of the second Seder, and it served its function well. C+/**/N

Hagafen Prix Chardonnay Hall Vineyard "D" Block 2006 - This was probably the most impressive wine I had over the holidays. The marriage of the fruit with the oak is heavenly, resulting in flavors of baked apples with cinnamon and other spices. I'm very glad to have 6 more bottles. A-/***/Y

Reds:

Flam Syrah Reserve 2010 - Last year, upon release, the flavored were subdued, giving me the impression that it is going to be a very mellow and elegant Syrah. That is definitely not what the wine is telling me now. What impressed me most about the wine is the depth and brightness of the raspberry flavors, coupled with Syrah's trademark black pepper. Hopefully, with age it will develop additional complexity. While the fruit is deep and bright, it does not taint the wine with unwanted sweetness. B+/***/Y

Yarden Merlot Kela Vineyard 2006 - Yes. I got to sample one of the single vineyard Yarden wines. Although the oak does not dominate in the form of tannins, it does so in the form of the flavor profile. The layers of chocolate, derived from the barrel, coat the the blueberry fruit in a very thick covering. On the positive side, I found this wine to be elegant. B/na/Y

Shirah Counter Punch 2010 - This blend of equal parts Grenache and Syrah, was well received. Its relatively high alcohol content of 15.2%, does not dominate. The fruit is contained in a damping earthiness. B/**/Y

AlexEli Pinot Noir 2010 - This is the style of Pinot I like. It showcases the grape's delicacy. The fruit is cherry and the weight is light. The fruit isn't as focused as I might like, but it is on the road I like to travel. B/**/Y

Tishbi Malbec SV 2009 - Its fruit flavor is best described as red currant that is succulent and acidic. The oak flavoring is minimal and the fruit overpowers it. I like it. B+/**/Y

Friend's Cabernet Sauvignon Suisun Valley 2011 - This is a wine produced by a friend who made only several hundred bottles. Without his permission I will not post his name. The wine was produced in New York from grapes grown in the Suisun Valley. This is medium bodied with subdued tannins. The fruit is nice, and it tastes like a well made entry level wine. Members of my household, looking for an easy drinking wine for the four cups, found this to be a good choice. C+/**/Y

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Hagafen Prix Chardonnay Hall Vineyard "D" Block 2006 - This was probably the most impressive wine I had over the holidays. The marriage of the fruit with the oak is heavenly, resulting in flavors of baked apples with cinnamon and other spices. I'm very glad to have 6 more bottles. A-/***/Y

Woohoo! A Pinchas-rated A wine! Now that's a day day to remember! :lol:

Kidding aside, Pinchas as I said it might be either my bottle only, my lack of experience with Riesling in general or I don't know what but your TN concurs with mine as to the sweetness that is almost gone. But my bottle definitely lacked acid and this time I'm the one saying it! :wink:

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Josh Kramer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Seder 1: Red C 2009 - smooth and enjoyable, not overly tannic, great for seders (and so apropriate)
Seder 2: Castel Grand Vin 2009, Shiraz Kayoumi 2009, and a bunch of cheap Pinot. GV great as always, and the Shiraz was nice during the meal.
Lunch Day 1 - The Cave 2007 - beautiful, drinking well (this is the mevushal one). Herzog Chalk Hill 2007 - seemed past its best. Didn't have much going on here.
Lunch Day 2 - Someone brought a cracker of a bottle - the 2005 Chateau Leoville Poyferre, inky purple, a little oak, rich and perfect with a good brisket that was served. Also had Psagot Edom 2010, Dishon CS 2009, 1848 Cab Sav 2nd Gen, Soreka Reserve (this was nice, chocolate & tobacco flavours), and the Carmel late harvest. Great stuff
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby Pinchas L » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Pinchas L wrote:Hagafen Prix Chardonnay Hall Vineyard "D" Block 2006 - This was probably the most impressive wine I had over the holidays. The marriage of the fruit with the oak is heavenly, resulting in flavors of baked apples with cinnamon and other spices. I'm very glad to have 6 more bottles. A-/***/Y

Woohoo! A Pinchas-rated A wine! Now that's a day day to remember! :lol:

Kidding aside, Pinchas as I said it might be either my bottle only, my lack of experience with Riesling in general or I don't know what but your TN concurs with mine as to the sweetness that is almost gone. But my bottle definitely lacked acid and this time I'm the one saying it! :wink:

Best,

GG

That's the point, issuing As sparingly, makes those few earning the score stand out.

Regarding the Riesling, I chose it to open the Seder, using it for the first 2 cups and the lighter course at the start of the meal. For me, it served its purpose well. As for acidity, usually when people describe the fruitiness of the wine with flavors from the citrus family, they imply the presence of acid. Granted, I chose as my descriptors the softer version: lime not lemon, tangerine not orange, pomelo not grapefruit, but these are all members of the citrus family.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 pm

2011 Dalton- single vinyard meron unfiltered -loved it well balanced , earthy ,
2010 Psagot cab franc- very good. It took a little time to open up. Still young in my opinion.
2011 dalton rose- i enjoyed this rose as a fun refreshing treat.
2010 hagafen prix sauvignon blanc - good structure , lemon and kiwi
2011 hagafen estate Sauvignon blanc- very similar to the prix but the prix is creamier and finishes better. Both are good but nothing to get excited about.
2011 hagafen estate Pinot noir- really enjoyable I took just a few minutes to open up. Nice pinot execution , soft and delicate. Nice aroma.
2007 casa de corca portugal Douro - this surprised me much better than I expected.
lan zur 2011 Pinot noir from chile. Not worth the time.
2011 capscanes peraj petita . Just as good as the 2010. Went well with matzah pizza
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:33 am

Josh Patt wrote:I'm considering using the Galil Mountain Alon and maybe the Shilo Legend.
Wines with some body, but still fruity and soft enoguh to go down without a fight.

BTW Adam, the Ella Valley Merlot is a full bodied wine with a lot of tannin. I think it's an excellent wine, but I wouldn't call it easy drinking.

Josh

Fair enough. I hear you, though for me a wine also qualifies as easy drinking if it is smooth to drink and not in any way powerful in terms of alcohol or oak. That's what I have always liked about the Ella valley merlot, very smooth yet with character...but yes, full bodied as well....
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 am

Adam M wrote:
Josh Patt wrote:I'm considering using the Galil Mountain Alon and maybe the Shilo Legend.

Josh

Fair enough. I hear you, though for me a wine also qualifies as easy drinking if it is smooth to drink and not in any way powerful in terms of alcohol or oak. That's what I have always liked about the Ella valley merlot, very smooth yet with character...but yes, full bodied as well....

and i felt that the recanati cab reserve 09 was full,smooth and yet barely tannic at all.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm

I had a few nice wines - with the real shockers being the reemergence of the 2007 Hagafen CabFranc! The 2010 Ramat Naftaly Barbera and a few odds and ends. The 2007 Yarden Chard, Odem, is nice and out of its slumber, but had a bit too much oak for me, but man was it round and rich. Actually liked the 2007 Yarden Chard (plain) more.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/03/29 ... nd-before/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Jeff Adler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm

We enjhoyed several nice wines over the first 2 days of Pesach

First Seder
2007 Gush Etzion Blessed Valley - opened it well in advance
2010 Peraj petita
2011 Recanati Cabernet

First Lunch
2011 Elvi Invita

Second Seder
2012 Psagot Edom Red
2008 Galil Mountain Yiron

Second Day Lunch
2010 Goose Bay Viognier (only Kosher viognier I could find)

Looking forward to Shabbat and Second day days to enjoy wine with food!

Cheers

Jeff
Jeff Adler
Wine geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:34 pm

BS"D

First & Second Night Sedar:
2011 Recanati Special Reserve Wild Carignon
2007 Barkan Superior Pinotage
2009 Or Haganuz Amuka

Daytime Meals:
2007 Gush Etzion Cabernet Franc
2010 Gilgal Syrah
2010 Les Ramparts De Bel Air
2009 Galil Alon

Chol Chamoed

2012 Yarden Sauvignon Blanc
2007 Laufer Late Harvest Chardonnay
2009 Judean Heights Late Harvest Blend

More to taste drink and lean left with a pile of Matzah!! :)
A Kosher Pesach Sameach and A Gut Shabbos!!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

PreviousNext

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum