Ladders / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Ladders / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm

B"SD. Seems like our actions words and thoughts can sometimes be high and sometimes low. The ups and downs and of course the heavily populated place of status quo. There are those times too when were not doing speaking or even consciously thinking. Just dreaming Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Ladders / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Mark Lieser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Shiloh Cabernet Franc - 2008. Maybe not on the level of, e.g., Ella Valley's CF, but enjoyable nevertheless (especially for the price)

Midbar Orange 44 - 2010
Domains Ventura Grand Vin Cabernet Sauvignon - 2009. Perhaps no longer at its peak, but still good.

Shavua tov,

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Harry, Shavua tov!

Mark, nice wines!

Friday night:

GMW, Viognier 2012: I was somewhat disappointed here as I expected a much higher quality and complexity given the vintage and the really nice basic reds of the winery for 2012. First of all, what shocked me was the 15% Abv. On a 2012 white wine. Unusually high, especially for that vintage. Unoaked. Gold in color with light green reflections. On the nose some floral notes, with touches of citrus and tropical fruit salad. Medium-bodied and featuring a slightly oily texture with notes of tangerines, apricots and peaches with a tea leaves bitterness, good acidity and a hint of tannins on a moderate finish. Luckily the wine is balanced and there's no perceptible heat from the high alcohol content. A decent wine but there's nothing memorable about it

Teperberg, Terra, Malbec 2011: Currently my favorite QPR red wine in that price range (50-60 shekel). Round, supple, sexy. Delicious.

Shabbat lunch:

Gush Etzion, Lone Oak Reserve, Syrah 2008: This bottle was neither better nor worse than the previous one a few weeks ago, I was in a rush to drink it as it's past its peak and should leave to puppy paradise very soon.

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby ChaimShraga » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm

I somehow wound up drinking the Yarden, Malbec, 2010, which my wife thought very nasty. Me, I thought it was interesting, especially the nose, with an unusual, for GHW, salinity.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2010 Capcanes Peraj Petita. Just lovely, between medium to full bodied, balanced, taste, finish.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:40 pm

2010 Shira Thompson syrah- this is a hit. At first uncorking , it released a powerful alcohol scent. It tasted great however. a mouthful of flavor. I expect it to settle and be even better.

Shira One Two Punch - very nice and lively. It was not fair to have it after the Syrah though.

2011 Saslove Aviv Cabernet - very nice, earthy . Very different. i liked it the last time I had it which was in the summer.

Sam
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:49 am

'12 Agur Rose A-/*** (I thought I was out of this but I found 3 bottles lurking in a corner. Cause for celebration!!)
'11 Elvi In Vita B++/***
'07 Yarden BdB A/***
'07 Carmel Mediterranean A/** After an extended dumb period, this wine has now really opened up and is drinking beautifully. The balance is simply superb. One of Israel's best.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi;Golan can '11 tasted very nice. Flavor of chocolate present. Wild goat malbec '13. Nice. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Covenant 2010 Chardonnay Lavan- still drinking beautifully. Also some Cabernet and lamb chops that I will report on in the other thread when I have a little more time to post.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi Harry,

Midbar Viognier 2010 - Citrus orange peel merge with apricot rinds on the tongue, forming a nice mix of flavors. The wine is dry and the high alcohol dries the mouth on the finish. It is a bit leaner than I expected, but some honeyed texture does kick on towards the end. Overall, it was quite enjoyable. 14.5% AbV. B/**/Y

Tishbi Shiraz 2007 - Although labeled as Shiraz and not Syrah, this wine features prominently its earthy and gamey character, keeping its fruity and spicy side in the background. The cork is holding up very nicely, though the color is a dull purple, an attribute that seems to be derived from a body that is on the lighter side. C+/**/N

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Shlomo R » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Nothing fancy this Shabbos - a Weinstock Merlot, possibly 2009 vintage. Definitely good but not exciting, which was fine for this week. Also opened a gift from a friend - a bottle of Charbay Hop Flavored Whiskey.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:20 pm

2011 Landsman Syrah. Not a blockbuster wine but I believe it has improved in the last 6 or so months. I quite enjoyed it. If anyone wants to try a bottle and is in NYC feel free to PM me....
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:30 pm

BS"D
Thank Harry!
Yes the mind and the Mouth.. sometimes two very different expressions.

2009 Herzog Z2 - Zinfandel - smooth(pepper subtle on the finish only)
2010 Agua Dulce - Zinfandel - great range on the drink (expressive wine)
2010 Recanati - Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - got a lot better from 2009
2012 Recanati - Shiraz - @ $15 it is always impressive
2011 Or Haganuz - Dan/? Vineyards blend 3 grapes.. Cab, Shiraz and Merlot - nice new effort
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:06 pm

This weekend was quite fun but lacking in the wine department...

Festivities began on thursday night with 2007 Domaine des 3 Celliers Chateauneuf-Du-Pape... Unfortunately, this bottle was corked... as was another one we opened straight after... So we went to 2012 Dalton Fume Blanc, a wonderful wine, apple and some wood-ee-ness citrus-ee and mild peaches.
Friday night: 2011 capcanes peraj petita, a wonderful smelling wine and a solid tasting one too.
2010 Binyamina Reserve Merlot, tastey.
Saturday: 2012 Dalton Chardonnay Unoaked. Really fresh and refreshing.
Sunday: 2011 Baron Herzog Special Reserve Russian River Chardonnay. Good weight and balanced flavors.
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby gaston k » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Fri Night - Landsman 2012 PN - lighter than the 2011 but perhaps more enjoyable.
Sat Lunch - Glass of 2010 Harkham Shira and a botlle of Watou Tripel.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:03 pm

May I also add that I enjoyed immensely the Morad passionfruit wine. Granted, it aint from grapes. But it is SOOOO good. Fortuitously, I purchased a bunch of passion fruit from the grocery store for Shabbat that turned out to be not ripe enough. But have no fear, Morad passion fruit wine was there to save the day! I scooped the passion fruit into a glass, added a couple of ice cubes, filled the glass with the wine and added a spritz of seltzer to top it off. Any one who is a passion fruit-lover will go gaga for this stuff. Enjoy!
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Sunday I made an upsheren and had the following wines:

'07 The Cave Magnum: B-/* The bottle was poorly sealed with wax that crumbled, leading the cork to dry out and disintegrate when opening. The wine wasn't quite spoiled, but certainly not at peak. In any event, The Cave is a rather bland wine. Way overpriced.

'10 Peraj Petita: B/*** '10 vintage was definitely subpar for Capcanes.

'11 Dalton SV Choshen Syrah: A-/* A very nice syrah, with awesome blueberry notes, but I don't think it's quite worth the $45 it goes for. To be fair though, this wine is still very young and I didn't give it enough time to open up. I would retaste in a year or so.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Mazel Tov, Elie, and thanks for tasting the Agua Dulce Zin, Yehoshua. Glad you enjoyed it!
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Had the Agua Dulce Syrah - enjoyed it. Now I have tried all 3 of Craig's wines and I liked the Syrah and Zin.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 am

Dagnabbit, can't get anyone to like the Cab. Oh, I guess I should say that the Agua Dulce wines seem to be collectors items, as a decision was made to pull the plug on the kosher program. A 1 vintage rarity. Too bad, as the 2011 Merlot was very good.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:42 pm

2009 Ramon Cardova Rioja crianza. Pretty tasty; almost as tasty as the 2007 vintage.

2009 Shiloh Secret shiraz. A well-balanced, bit lighter shiraz; went well with fish in a rich sauce.
YoelA
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum