Purim wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Purim wine

Postby Harry J » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:30 pm

B"SD
It's said "wine gladden the heart". Interestingly in the Purim events in which Purim is rooted the wine was used to manipulate.And as such it's diversity of choices is not admirable in its generosity. We however hope to share our wine in context of happiness and joy. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Purim wine

Postby Sam M » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi Harry ,
I'm thinking of the tepperberg cab for Purim. Saw a good deal.
Anybody have any tasting notes?
Sam
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Sam M wrote:Hi Harry ,
I'm thinking of the tepperberg cab for Purim. Saw a good deal.
Anybody have any tasting notes?
Sam

Hi Sam,

There are 3 series for Teperberg: Silver, Terra and Reserve. Which wine and year are you talking about?
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby David Raccah » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:29 pm

Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:22 pm

It was actually the tepperberg 2012 silver Shiraz
On sale. Any tn's
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Sam M » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:06 am

Ok , my brother asked me to buy the wine for his purim party.
Here is what I chose:
What are you drinking?

tepperberg terra MALBEC
DALTON SINGLE VINYARD CS
DALTON SB 2012
TEPPERBERG SHIRAZ 2012
PSAGOT EDOM 2011
YATIR RED 2009

Dahlwinnie 15
Balvenie Carribean cask 14
Tres generation silver tequila
arak
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Sam M wrote:Ok , my brother asked me to buy the wine for his purim party.
Here is what I chose:
What are you drinking?

tepperberg terra MALBEC
DALTON SINGLE VINYARD CS
DALTON SB 2012
TEPPERBERG SHIRAZ 2012
PSAGOT EDOM 2011
YATIR RED 2009

Dahlwinnie 15
Balvenie Carribean cask 14
Tres generation silver tequila
arak

Except for the Yatir Red 2009 which I find horrible (not the forest, the red blend), nice selection Sam.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Gedalya P » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm currently enjoying the wines of Lewis Pasco and Beit El. Nice stuff.
Flam, of course
Tura Cabernet 09

Bunnahabbhain something or other from duty free

Delirium Tremens Belgian Beer

Thankfully, I have an iron stomach.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Beer, Beer, and more Beer. I am sick and tired of feeding good mevu wines to my friends! Best option = beer!!!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:23 pm

David Raccah wrote:Beer, Beer, and more Beer. I am sick and tired of feeding good mevu wines to my friends! Best option = beer!!!

try mench
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:34 pm

With regard to an earlier post in this thread why would s/o be sick of serving their friends good wine that also happens to be mevushal.?!
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Elchonon Hellinger wrote:
David Raccah wrote:Beer, Beer, and more Beer. I am sick and tired of feeding good mevu wines to my friends! Best option = beer!!!

try mench

I look forward to trying that at a shul function next weekend. I am guessing you liked it? The red, white or both? I very much enjoyed the Tribe red and look foward to seeing what they did at the lower price level.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Moshe F » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:05 pm

not sure which way to go and it has been bothering me for a week or so. i typically open 4 bottles for myself during the meal and i cannot make up my mind. perhaps i can take a poll of what yall think? If one were to spend 100 USD or 346 NIS (approximately, not exactly) for 3-4 bottles, what would you choose?

Thanks,
Moshe F
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby lewis.pasco » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:18 pm

I suppose I am biased, but

...i typically open 4 bottles for myself during the meal and i cannot make up my mind. perhaps i can take a poll of what yall think? If one were to spend 100 USD or 346 NIS (approximately, not exactly) for 3-4 bottles, what would you choose?

Thanks,
Moshe F

In that price range 1 bottle of The Pasco Project #1 would fit in quite nicely... :wink:

Available at a store near you NOW!
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:24 am

In California, there's still time to pick up 4 bottles of AD Zin at a 25% discount (off $30, by the case) and including tax, still comes to less than $25 (if picked up at the winery, or with enough orders, I could be persuaded to make a run to the winery and stockpile at my house). Price good through Shushan Purim. Just sayin' (grin). 3 Silvers under its belt so far.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:25 pm

For the party we have every year I picked entry level good stuff - Kayoumi Riesling, Dalton PS and Capcanes Petita. For Seuda I get the Psagot SV Cab while the non-discerning hoi-polloi will enjoy some Recanati PS/Zin (I'm sure I will have some of that as well).
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Yossie Horwitz wrote:For the party we have every year I picked entry level good stuff - Kayoumi Riesling, Dalton PS and Capcanes Petita. For Seuda I get the Psagot SV Cab while the non-discerning hoi-polloi will enjoy some Recanati PS/Zin (I'm sure I will have some of that as well).

These are about some of the most wine-snobbish lines I ever read from you :mrgreen:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Yossie Horwitz wrote:For the party we have every year I picked entry level good stuff - Kayoumi Riesling, Dalton PS and Capcanes Petita. For Seuda I get the Psagot SV Cab while the non-discerning hoi-polloi will enjoy some Recanati PS/Zin (I'm sure I will have some of that as well).

These are about some of the most wine-snobbish lines I ever read from you :mrgreen:

:)

Se'udah with my son-in-law's family. 2007 Capcanes, Flor de la Primavera, Peraj Habib. Beautiful wine.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi. Binyamina cab res '10 heavey, Carmel select '13 w/a 14.5 tag over the top,barkan pinotage taste buds not active@that point. And hasod malbec,argentina. All in all a special evening.
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi all. Yesterday I had 2007 Carmel Mediterranean, 2007 Hagafen Prix Cabernet Sauvignon and apparently 2011 Recanati Petite Sirah/Zinfandel (don't remember that part...). From what I remember, the Mediterranean stole the show.
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Harvey L » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:10 pm

My first bottle of Pasco Project # 1. Lovely deep ruby/garnet color. Cherries and blackberries in the nose although I'd offer that the fruit is still a bit closed. Lovely fruit, acidity and finish. Drinking nicely now but strong hints that this is a wine to come back to in another 6 months or so to check on its progress. Lewis, what do you think the optimal drinking window is?
Harvey L
Wine geek

Postby Adam M » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:41 pm

It is fitting that my post should sit immediately adjacent to Harvey's, as we very recently sat immediately adjacent to each other at a most auspicious wine-related event[, which, NB, happened to feature some of the best aged beef roast that I have ever tated).

[Hi Harvey :D ]

I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of a bottle of the 2007 Castel Grand Vin. The rest is in an air-depleted Poland Spring water bottle in my freezer awaiting consumption this Shabbat. [NB: I was impressed that the 2006 Yarden Cab that took out of my freezer this past Shabbat was delicious, and was in 95%-98% as good condition as when I had it fresh the week before...]
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby ChaimShraga » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Is it over? I was drunk the whole time.

Jean Lallement, Champagne Brut, Verzenay Grand Cru, n.v.

I had this just two months ago and I've been waiting restlessly ever since to come back home again, where salty cashews and chicken broth marry foamy citrus fruit and minerals in an elegant funk of pure umami. I've had better champagnes, but few as unique as this.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Salty Cashew and chicken broth? Umame? I have never heard any of those descriptors before for wine, much less Champagne. I suppose yeast autolysis could manifest itself as some of those things, but I would typically call it a flaw. I have had cheesy Chardonnay and dry reds, and I sometimes enjoy the flavor, but here again, I'm thinking I would usually find such flavors, and the ones you describe, as flaws if they were the most prevalent flavors of the wine. As a nuance, it could be nice.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum