The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Warm weekend, and Rieslings rule

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Warm weekend, and Rieslings rule

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 am

Saturday was a twist on saag paneer, a curried spinach/tofu dish baked with potato slices on top, with the 2012 von Hovel Oberemmeler Hutte Riesling Kabinett (AP 04 13). Quite sweet for Kabinett, but not all all cloying- razor sharp Saar acidity keeps it alive and linear. Sweet lime, apple, and ginger. This should age but drinking well now. B+

Sunday we spent the day working in yard and taking dog for walks in woods, then walked over the hill to some friends’ home for dinner. We started with the NV Ayala “Majeur” Brut Champagne. Pleasant, apple and dough, good brightness, straightforward. B

We ate on the deck, starting with grilled octopus with white beans and frisee
2009 Heidler “Maximum” Gruner Veltliner. Big powerful wine, peach fruit over rocks, peas,
this is almost too much, but with the food it shows well. B/B+

Main course was grilled chicken,a Ming Tsai Asian slaw, and sweet potatoes, we continued with the GV, but also tried

2004 BV Tapestry
Somewhat kirschy fruit, vanilla, seems to be drying out on finish, not really a fan. B-/C+

2009 St. Cosme “Les Deux Albions” Cotes du Rhone
Slightly jammy note to the fruit, but it does get some interest from some herby/underbrush notes. B/B-

Maybe not greatest wine night, but fun night with good people, and first outdoor dinner of the year.

Monday was shrimp tacos and slaw, with the 2011 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett (AP 02 12). Pretty and full, rich/sweet and with a creamy texture but with plenty of acids to keep it fresh and lithe. Citrus and green apple, slatey, long. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Warm weekend, and Rieslings rule

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:25 pm

I have that von Hovel in the cellar. Going to have to open one soon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:15 pm

David, what's your impression of von Hovel overall? I had some very good bottles on the OH Auslese from 80s (especially 83), but the few bottles from 90s and early last decade didn't leave much of an impression. But I liked closeout 08 Scharzhofberger Kab and that gave me push to buy this when it was on a flash site. Which I liked.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Good, mid tier producer that sometimes rises much higher. The common comment is the Hutte wines are better than the Scharzhofberger wines, but I do not see a consistent gap in quality.

In short: I like the wines, but would not miss them if they were gone.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 pm

thanks David, so my "buy on steep discount but don't search for" attitude might work out. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 am

Dale Williams wrote:thanks David, so my "buy on steep discount but don't search for" attitude might work out. :)

Mostly my approach as well. The 2012 Kabinett was quite cheap on pre-arrival.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:09 am

The other day, Max von Kunow poured just after bottling several 2013 von Hövel wines at J.J. Prüm. Despite vintage reports, they showed very well and were typical Saar. I especially liked the 2013 Scharzhofberg Kabinett. The 2010 Oberemmeler Hütte Spätlese feinherb is one of my favorites from the last few vintages.