The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My first encounter with Le Clos Jordanne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eric Lo

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:17 am

Hong Kong

My first encounter with Le Clos Jordanne

by Eric Lo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:37 pm

Now I can understand the hype that Canadians had raved about the wines from LCJ!
2003 is their debut year selling wines. The Premier Cuvee is a blend of all Premier and Grand Cuvee's grapes and is supposed to be supplied to Hotels and restaurants and I was lucky to receive a 6-pack.

03 Pinot Noir Premier Cuvee, Le Clos Jordanne, Niagara
Open up with a welcoming blueberry note which is slightly sweet and then some nice floral which later reveals smoked meat and hint of mineral. In the mouth , it's med to full bodied with velvety texture consists of sweet plum and dark berries. Acid and tannin are well balanced with the fruit as well too. Finish is long but elegantly gentle. It resembles a decent Beaune premier Cru and at $35cdn, I think it's really great value and the wine is definitely got a touch of old world in it and Jean Claude Boiseset must have done some deal to it. Lovely wine which is so smooth despite tannin is still a bit rough and finish is slightly alcoholic. For a debut wine, this is awesome.

I also drank the two premier cru whites from Le Clos Jordanne which I also got a six-pack of each.

05 Claystone Terrace, Chardannay, Le Clos Jordanne, Niagara
Not giving out much in the nose and in it, dominating is mineral and toastiness plus some green lime fruit. The palate is really caressing, volumptuous , buttery and layered along with a nice pivot of mineral to back up. Expansive palate and a long long finish. acidity was up there as well to balanced out the wine. A promising future ahead once this wine matures

05 Le Clos Jordanne Chardonnay, Le Clos Jordanne, Niagara
Nose is more opened up than the Claystone with more peachy fruit and intense mineral. In the mouth , it has the structure and the stunning mineral domination but yet balanced out beautifully by the lively acidity . More a wine for meditation I would describe. Long finish made of smooth mineral and refreshing yet subdue acidity. A different wine compare to the Claystone. I would love to see how it develops in the next few years!

Not an earth shattering experience but they are indeed full of promises and initially I was pretty stringent in assessing the performance of these wines in comparison to the nice Burgundies selling at usually double the price, and that was then when I begin to realise that they are not bad at all!
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: My first encounter with Le Clos Jordanne

by David Creighton » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:28 am

even the ontario lcbo can hardly get this stuff; and in hong kong! wow. i had a glass at a restaurant in niagara and i agree it is the real deal. had heard the same from a well known author who had tried it. glad to see some really first class red stuff coming out of there. you can only drink so much ice wine.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Eric Lo

Rank

Wine geek

Hong Kong

by Eric Lo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:28 am

Dave hi,

I only drank them in Canada and the rest of the wines are still in Toronto. I think US is the only place that they would export for the time being.

Nice wines indeed.

Eric
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

by Norm N » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:42 am

Hi Eric
Keep in mind that LCJ production was very limited in the first few vintages (2003-05) with such young vines but will increase in coming years quite alot, making availability much better. I expect the '06s to be available in the next few months, but it is the '07s that should really be exciting.

By the way, they have continued to extend their vintyards further up the escarpment with new plantings this year and I expect they will continue next year. Very risky, these plantings as they are well away from the moderating infuence of Lake Ontario so it will be interesting to see how the vines survive the winters.

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Eric Lo

Rank

Wine geek

Hong Kong

by Eric Lo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:25 am

Norm,

interesting indeed! With the increase in vine age, the wine would only get better. As for the vines further up north, it would be intersting to see how they fare.

06 would be out again so soon? I only bought my 05 half a year ago! But how good is 07?

cheers,
Eric
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

by Norm N » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:46 pm

Actually, Eric, the new vines are being planted further south, away from Lke Ontario.

The first 2005's were released last Novemebr, and are mostly sold out...that's why I think that the '06s must be soon.

As far as 2007 is concerned, it is widely considered one of the best, perhaps the best vintage ever here in Niagrara....without exception, all wineries are saying this. It was perfect weather last summer, in stark contrast to this year. Can't wait.

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

by Norm N » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:03 pm

Eric Lo wrote:06 would be out again so soon?

Hi Eric,
The Le Clos Jordanne 2006's are going to sold on line starting October 15. There is a consumer tasting scheduled for October 14 (I think it's the 14th, the website news announcements seems a bit confusing). I am going to try to attend if I can get a ticket. Anyway, here is the link to the announcement:
http://www.leclosjordanne.com/en/news/default.asp

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:57 am

Indeed the hype resulted in almost immediate sell-outs in Ontario. The jury is still out on how 'great' these will be. So far there is definite promise (in the 2005's) which sat around on the shelves in Quebec. Although Ontarians were limited to 1 bottle per person, you could buy by the multiple case in Quebec.
Early 'reports' on the 2006 say these are probably not up to the quality of the 2005's - so best to taste before you buy. But 'everybody' is waiting for the 2007's which are receiving rave reviews (although still in barrel). Which probably means another trip to Quebec next year!
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

by Norm N » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:54 am

Hi Alan,
Indeed 2006 was a more difficult vintage than '05 or '07 with all that rain in September. However, I do know that LCJ has very strict selection process, so they may have done well. Tasting before you buy is a good idea...wish I could, the tasting is being held in Toronto and I can't make it. $75 per person if you want to go... I'm hoping to taste the wines down here in Niagara at some point.

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

by Norm N » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:05 pm

For those who are interested, David Lawrason's thoughts on the '06 LCJ's pinots and chards.....

http://www.davidlawrason.com/news.asp

Note that prices are up $5 /bottle across the board.

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:30 pm

Norm N wrote:
As far as 2007 is concerned, it is widely considered one of the best, perhaps the best vintage ever here in Niagrara....without exception, all wineries are saying this. It was perfect weather last summer, in stark contrast to this year. Can't wait.

Norm

I had a change to taste some barrel samples of the 2007's and they are indeed very good. Very nice levels of ripeness but followed with a good level of acidity to keep things fresh. Tannic but should all come together nicely. Very lively wines.
no avatar
User

Matthew Sullivan

Rank

Just got here

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:41 am

by Matthew Sullivan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:49 am

I got a chance to try Le Clos Jordanne's entire range of 2006 Pinots and most of the Chardonnays. The Pinots are their best ever in my view. They are extremely light because 2006 was such a cruddy year weather-wise, but they've parlayed the lightness into real elegance and charm.

My only disappointment was the 2006 Village Reserve Pinot Noir, which I found muddy compared to the single vineyard Pinots but quite pricey at $30. The value is in the single vineyard wines, and especially La Petite Vineyard. At $40, it comes very close to the diaphanous quality of the $70 Grand Clos.

I've posted complete tasting notes for the Pinots here:
http://www.lawandstyle.ca/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=90

I'll post my tasting notes of the Chardonnays in a couple days. They have gobs of oak, but it is very well-integrated and buoyed by the fruit. Great complexity this year.

Matthew Sullivan
The Short Cellar
http://www.lawandstyle.ca/shortcellar
no avatar
User

Matthew Sullivan

Rank

Just got here

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:41 am

by Matthew Sullivan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:57 am

Here is my review of the 2006 Clos Jordanne Chardonnays...
http://www.lawandstyle.ca/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=90

Matthew Sullivan
The Short Cellar
http://www.lawandstyle.ca/shortcellar