The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bday wines: 4 Bdx, 5 Burgs, 1 Loire, 1 Alsace

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bday wines: 4 Bdx, 5 Burgs, 1 Loire, 1 Alsace

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:03 am

Last night we celebrated my 48th. Betsy had invited some friends, when one couple said he would be traveling, she invited another couple. Then travel plans changed, she said ok to everyone. With 10 people our table with leaves is big enough,but dining room is very snug. So we moved table into living room, and had a feast. Betsy had gotten two legs of lamb from Dines Farm, so we did the big one rare and the smaller medium rare to medium.

As people arrived, Betsy served marinated fresh salmon roe on shiso (a seasonal thing she found at a local Japanese restaurant, they sold her some), along with some husk tomatoes/ground cherries. Most of us had sparkling wine:

(probably grading a little harder than normal, I SAID I'm not consistent)

NV Foreau Vouvray Brut (lot 2041)
Bright, lively, granny smith and lemon with a little hint of Parker House Roll yeastiness. B+

One person doesn't like bubbles, so we also had:
2006 Sylvain Dussort "Cuvee des Ormes" Bourgogne Blanc
Sweet fruit balanced by zippy acidity, not much oak. clean and nice Bourgogne. New producer to me. B/B+

First sitdown course was were individual "pumpkin gratins" (an adaptation of a Jacques Pepin recipe, somewhere in the netherland between gratin and souffle). Hoke Harden had raved over a match between a Chardonnay and pumpkin soup, so I went with Chard (went very very well, would definitely repeat combo)

2000 Carillon "Les Combettes" Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
With any '96-'03 white Burg I am tense as I open, but relief spread over me as it was apparent this had slipped by the PremOx monster. I really like Carillon, and would buy more except I seldom see. This shows the vintage, a bit fat, but not flabby. Citrus and pear, rather floral, fruity but with a long dry finish. Some real Puligny stones on the finish. B+

1993 Marquis de Laguiche (Drouhin) Chassagne-Montrachet
I've found this to be a great village level wine, but it's really beginning to show its age. Honied pears, ripe, nutty. Others found it younger than I did, probably because they hadn't had before. I found finish a bit tired. B-

Next up was supposed to be the red Burgs, but the lamb started coming out (along with cauliflower with pimenton and baby bok choy) ; I had planned on Bordeaux with the meat so went ahead:

1998 Bourgneuf-Vayron (Pomerol)
Nice medium bodied Pomerol, black plum and currant fruit, a little cedar note, easy tannins. B/B+

1989 Meyney (St Estephe)
This has always vied with the '86 as my favorite Meyney, and I felt this bottle showed beautifully. The most complete of the three Bdx I served with the lamb. Mature but not fading. Mostly resolved tannins. The cassis fruit may have lost a tad of its youthful verve, but it can still stand up to the lamb. The notes of pencil shavings, tar, and leather are nicely integrated. What more could you ask in a (once) cheap claret? A-

1970 Clos Rene (Pomerol)
This is still alive and even fairly vigorous, probably has as much fruit as the Meyney. Rather thick texture, red plummy fruit, a bit of chocolate and earth. My non-geek friend Nancy is surprised she finds it the oldest but not as complex, I think she's right. Still, a perfectly acceptable wine, and it was fun to open as one of the guests (Annabelle) is a '70. B

As the platters came around with seconds and thirds, I passed the two Burgs that had been opened earlier but not poured:

1980 H. Boillot "Les Rugiens" Pommard 1er
Beguiling nose, a bit light on the palate. Fred found it his wine of the night. I really like this wine, the nose is amazing. Cherries, woodsmoke, truffles, and earth. Just a hint of barnyard. The palate is ok, high acids, red fruits - it just doesn't measure up to the nose. Still, I love a great nose. B+

2000 Domaine Parent "Les Chaponnieres" Pommard 1er
There's nothing truly wrong with this, a perfectly acceptable but anonymous Burg. Black fruits, a little earthy note, not a lot on the finish. I am a fan of Rugiens and Epenots/Epenaux, but other Pommard 1ers tend not to excite me. B-

We had moved on the the cheese course (a local cheese called Drumm, Stilton, Muenster, "Camembert" (Hudson Valley), and 4 yr old Gouda. I thought about a Port for the Stilton, but instead went with an Alsace for the Munster and another Bdx for the Gouda:

1989 Loberger Gewurztraminer Vendanges Tardives
Auslese level sweetness, nose of roses and ripe fruit. Lychees and pineapple/mango tropical notes on palate, with a little hint of that Gewurz oiliness. Pretty decent acidity for the grape, but not the longest or most complex. B

1979 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
Best bottle I've had of this yet. Nice balance of fruit and acidity, mostly resolved tannins. Red plums and currant, cocoa and cigarbox. Rich but not heavy claret, this is really singing. A-

Nancy had brought a lemony dessert, knowing that I don't eat dessert Annabelle showed up with a small "cake" for me (a napolean of granny smith, cream cheese, chives, and salmon). Good night for wines. I'd happily have my 2 least favorite (Drouhin and Parent) on my dinner table. Really a fun night, I felt blessed to have such good friends, such good luck with the wines, and such a talented cook for a wife. :)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: Bday wines: 4 Bdx, 5 Burgs, 1 Loire, 1 Alsace

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:20 am

Dale Williams wrote:...such a talented cook for a wife...

Sure reads like it. Your notes always make me hungry.

Another Happy B'day at you, Dale. (Feels like the fifth or sixth time I've written that.)
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:43 am

Sounds like a "good time was had by all." Happy birthday.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 am

Really nice lineup, Dale. Happy birthday.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:NV Foreau Vouvray Brut (lot 2041)

What does the lot number signify?

Sounds like a good time, and no birth year wine!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks, all.
Rahsaan, I believe even though it's NV, that the middle digits (04) indicate the year (previous ones I had were 2011 and I was told they were '01).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:08 pm

As to birth year wines, I have one BV GdlT and one last Fonseca, hope they show ok for my 50th.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Mouth watering notes!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks, all.
Rahsaan, I believe even though it's NV, that the middle digits (04) indicate the year..

Interesting. So if it's all from one year, why/how is it NV?

Or does that just mean the middle digits indicate the dominant year in the blend?

Even so, if they're going to go through the trouble of making lot numbers with codes, why not go the full distance and include percentages from all the years included :D
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:22 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:Thanks, all.
Rahsaan, I believe even though it's NV, that the middle digits (04) indicate the year..

Interesting. So if it's all from one year, why/how is it NV?

Or does that just mean the middle digits indicate the dominant year in the blend?

Even so, if they're going to go through the trouble of making lot numbers with codes, why not go the full distance and include percentages from all the years included :D

I can't speak to this wine but on the Pierre Peters NV it is the bottling date. It does not directly point one to the predominate vintage of the blend. But for the PP Thiese has been rather forthcoming elsewhere on how certain bottling dates relate to whats inside them. Again for the PP NV I find this important as it seems to be more variable than the NV from the larger houses.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Dale Williams wrote:1989 Meyney (St Estephe)
This has always vied with the '86 as my favorite Meyney, and I felt this bottle showed beautifully. The most complete of the three Bdx I served with the lamb. Mature but not fading. Mostly resolved tannins. The cassis fruit may have lost a tad of its youthful verve, but it can still stand up to the lamb. The notes of pencil shavings, tar, and leather are nicely integrated. What more could you ask in a (once) cheap claret? A-

Thanks for the note. Been holding my only bottle of this for what seems like forever. I still have a problem with opening singles from when I really started cellering bottles. Any idea on how much longer before I waited too long?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:09 pm

I've got 2 more, and will probably drink withn next 5 years. But no one ever really knows!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Belated birthday greetings, Dale.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting. So if it's all from one year, why/how is it NV?

I think they only do vntage in the "better" years (and it's called Reserve). Why? I dunno. Maybe less stringent rules about something for NV Vouvray? I was thinking something like aging (the vintage dated Loire petillants I can think of seem to come out quite a few years after vintage, is that a requirement?).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Dale Williams wrote:vintage dated Loire petillants I can think of seem to come out quite a few years after vintage, is that a requirement?).

Must have a minimum of 24 months on the lees for Crémant de Loire. I don't know about Vouvray or Montlouis.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:14 pm

Belated happy birthday, Dale! Will toast to your (and your liver's) health this evening.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:03 pm

Dale,

Does your records indicate what you paid for the 89 Meyney? About 2 years ago the owner of my Big Ass Wine Store (BAWS) dumped a couple cases back into his store. The price that was set (don't have a clue who set it) was $89 per 750ml bottle. I am thinking that he as a retailer must have paid in the neighborhood of $12 wholesale and then dumped it back at 89, and I have grumbled ever since.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Bob,
I paid $20-25 many years ago (not long after release, but not futures), then bought a few more at $35 a few years ago because I was sad they were almost gone. $89 seems steep, but wine (above the base level) is frankly a luxury item, and for luxury items I'm a total free market person. 15+ years of capital investment and storage is a big investment, and whatever price those that sell choose as their selling price is fine with me. I'm free to buy, or not.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:29 pm

FWIW, the tags on my two '89 Meyney show $18.99, from the L.A. Wine Co (a big discounter). I bought it blind based upon Mr. P's review.

I haven't tried one yet, but the comments from the birthday bash will change that soon. Thanks.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:08 am

Happy Birthday, Dale.

I'm getting through a nice batch of that 2000 Carillon Combettes myself. IMHO, it surpasses the "Les Perrieres" from the same producer/vintage. The Combettes is from relatively young vines.

My note from August -

Lunch was washed down with an exceedingly charming bottle of Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet Premier Cru “Les Combettes” 2000, a wine I’ve had more consistency from the marginally pre-oxed bottles of the higher rated “Les Perrieres” vineyard from the same vintage. Boasts a particularly pleasing very bright youthful colour and perfectly-honed aromatics of grilled nuts, toasty oak, white peach and vanillin-poached brown pears wrapped in a swathe of mouth-watering minerality. The palate delivers the same “mail” - magnificently integrated flavours bound with lively mineral-infused acidtiy and substantive but well-judged medium-toast French oak, plenty of balancing grip and a very tidy, permeating, authoritative finish. Unlike many other recent reports on Carillon’s variability with the pox, I’ve yet to open a 2000 “Les Combettes” in the last few months that has looked different. Thank @#$ for that! 93 points for this beauty, even in an outside setting and in less than perfect tasting conditions!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Dale, looks like I'm just about dead last to wish you happy birthday, but happy birthday! Btw, I've never had a Carillon, but I bought some this summer shortly after seeing the name on a short list of producers you like. Wine Commune had a number of the 04's, and they sold for relatively little. I'm sure I'll eventually have much to thank you for.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:42 pm

re: 89 Meyney.. Hart Davis Hart has a few bottles available for a very reasonable $45.. but they probably won't last long.. I just got an email from them about these (and other bdx) that just became available.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Saw those. Not a bad price for a mature Bdx. I actually thought about it for a second, but I have a couple left, so would rather spend on something I don't have.