The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Stock Market Crash Bargains

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Stock Market Crash Bargains

by Jenise » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:13 pm

I was just offered 2003 Laurel Glen Cabernet for $17.50. It's going to get worse. Or is that better?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Stock Market Crash Bargains

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:23 pm

The question is how long to hold out until the wine- I mean stock- prices reach their low point!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:09 pm

Well, $17.50 may be all it's worth. From the notes on Cellar Tracker, sounds like a thin year.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:05 am

My guess is that stock prices will bottom before wine prices. But no guesses on when and at what level those bottoms will be!!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Bermuda

by Josh » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:26 am

Drinking more wine in tough times is a good investment.

Well it won't make your stocks go up but it will make you feel better about it :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:54 am

Jenise,

Laurel Glen is no longer a favorite of the gob-festers. Plus 2003 is not a favorite of the gob-festers. Take the two in combination & it's not surprising that the wine received lackluster views on CT. I would ignore them.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I would ignore them.

Or maybe buy more based on them. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:59 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Jenise,

Laurel Glen is no longer a favorite of the gob-festers. Plus 2003 is not a favorite of the gob-festers. Take the two in combination & it's not surprising that the wine received lackluster views on CT. I would ignore them.

You have a point. I'll re-read them. I like to think I can usually tell a gobber from the notes they write, but I may not have had the right hat on. As Cynthia implies, sometimes a pan from them is a reccomendation to me.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:33 am

Just bought a case of 2000 Le Joncieux (Premieres Cotes De Blaye) from Wine Chateau, which had sent me an email ad. I think the case cost $154 with shipping included, less than $13 per bottle. You probably get blurbs from Wine Chateau, too. I am drinking a lot of Cotes De Blaye, finding it funky, rich and complex (asphalt, rubber, earth, etc.), and very cheap. My cellar (not my walk-in wine cellar, but my basement floor) is covered with cases of bottles for about $15 each. I am trying to lower my expectations and have a cache to carry into the woods along with my 800 gems when I disappear from the ruins of civilization.

As I mentioned in another post, I bought some 2005 Lynch Moussas. As you might know from your Decanter, this wine is mysterious. Somehow it won out against most of the 2005 First Growths in a blind wine tasting by experts, including Masters of Wine. At the same time, it does not appear to have done so in the style of the Judgment of Paris trump, in that Decanter is recommending holding the bottles until 2020, the beginning of their assumed plateau! This is impossible for me, but I couldn't pass up these at twenty-something a bottle bargains, maybe thirty, don't remember, rather than a quadruple digit cost per bottle for First Growth Pauillacs.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Jenise wrote:Well, $17.50 may be all it's worth. From the notes on Cellar Tracker, sounds like a thin year.

If this is the real Laurel Glen and not something like Quintana (which is okay in its own right), I don't care how thin the vintage was, that's a deal.

Can you tell from the Cellar Tracker notes whether they're posted by Parkerites? People looking for gobs generally don't end up rating Laurel Glen highly ... but we do. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Ok so I checked and there are no notes on the 2003 Laurel Glen Cabernet. There are notes on the 2003 Counterpoint. They're not bad at all. Color me confused.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:04 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok so I checked and there are no notes on the 2003 Laurel Glen Cabernet. There are notes on the 2003 Counterpoint. They're not bad at all. Color me confused.

Counterpoint would be a pretty good deal at $18 itself. Color me a long-time fan of Laurel Glen (and of Patrick Campbell) who would certainly go for it.
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:24 pm

OK- please educate me on "gobs,gobbers, gob-festers". I'm not familiar with this terminology. :oops: Thanks.

CHEERS!

Art
We're not here for a long time,
we're here for a GOOD time !
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:26 pm

Heavily extracted, low acidity fruit bomb wines and the people who like them.
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Dave:
Thanks for the 411! I now know I'm NOT a gobber! :D

Art
We're not here for a long time,
we're here for a GOOD time !
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:30 pm

I was at a charity wine auction last week and prices were down a solid 20% across the board (OK, not 'trophy wines'). I've attended these before (usually with caution as some real junk occasionally gets contributed) but the real difference was in the audience/bidders. I didn't recognise any restaurateurs at all. They are usually interested in case lots. And older wines (in particular) were completely passed. I had virtually no opposition on 1795 and 1899 madeiras (OK that's REALLY old) - and anything prior to 82 (19) was similarly ignored.
I also hear that wine auctions are now only selling maybe 50% (instead of their normal 90+%).
But it will take a few months for the auction houses to adjust their estimates - expect the deals in the New Year.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Heavily extracted, low acidity fruit bomb wines and the people who like them.

Speaking of which, I actually saw a new wine in a wine store the other day whose name is: Fruit Bomb! I guess someone had to do it.

And yes, Robin, this really is Laurel Glen and not the Counterpoint. I saw a bottle with my own eyes.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Alan Gardner wrote:I was at a charity wine auction last week and prices were down a solid 20% across the board (OK, not 'trophy wines'). I've attended these before (usually with caution as some real junk occasionally gets contributed) but the real difference was in the audience/bidders. I didn't recognise any restaurateurs at all. They are usually interested in case lots. And older wines (in particular) were completely passed. I had virtually no opposition on 1795 and 1899 madeiras (OK that's REALLY old) - and anything prior to 82 (19) was similarly ignored.
I also hear that wine auctions are now only selling maybe 50% (instead of their normal 90+%).
But it will take a few months for the auction houses to adjust their estimates - expect the deals in the New Year.

Alan,
I too was at a charity auction shortly before the news began to get really bad (i.e., Oct 3 IIRC) and it was already shocking to see the decline in the number of lots being offered and the number of bids that they received. We were the only bidders on two lots: '96 Huet CdB Moelleux 1er Trie and '95 Tijou 'Les Perrieres' Savennieres.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:23 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:the only bidders on two lots: '96 Huet CdB Moelleux 1er Trie and '95 Tijou 'Les Perrieres' Savennieres.

Mark Lipton

Nice score.

Why would anyone give these wines away!
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Jenise,

I must admit to still being an ardent Laurel Glen follower.

The '03 Laurel Glen was included in a dinner tasting in Sonoma in Sep '06, date as best I can recall. Color was very saturated for this house. Nose was more roasted-not-raisined, the oak being balanced but strong. Body was more chunky on the mouth than I like, blind I would have guessed it for good Sullivan cabernet from a good year, having more blackberry fruit-driven than the typical olive and herb nuances. Barry thought VA was bothersome, but for me it had the mark of the vintage on it, just a bit too much heat on the finish. We both passed on our allocation at winery's discount price.

It's been sitting on the shelf at Bristol Farms for a while out here, priced at $ 39.99, down from $49.99 . The 2004 was released several months ago and is far better to my taste. I didn't buy any but Barry took my 2004 allocation. 8)
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin