The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Festival in Bardolino - video

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Wine Festival in Bardolino - video

by Peter May » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:50 pm

I don't know if I can imbed a video in the forum, but lets try

I was in Italy last month staying in Sirmione on Lake Garda. On the other side of the lake is the twon of Bardolino surrounded by the vineyards that make the Corvino based blend of the same name.

This was the 79th Festival of Grapes and Wine and I took some clips with my new Flip Mino camera, then edited out small bits and merged them together using the supplied software.

Realise there's not much to do with wine. Thats because while I was tasting I wasn't filming :)
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: Wine Festival in Bardolino - video

by Steve Slatcher » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:01 pm

Did you try eating at Al Torcol in Sirmione, Peter? We were staying in Sirmione last year and that was the best place we found. Decent wine list and helpful staff happy to chat about the wines. I "discovered" Taurasi there. Well... I have tried a few before but that was the first reasonably mature one - Piano di Montevergine, Feudi di Sangrigorio, 1997.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Peter: I have envy.

Both Sirmione and Bardolino are such beautiful places on Lago di Garda!

My wife and I cherish the times we've gone over there (we try to spend at least part of a day there every time we go to the Veneto). The little town center is so lovely, and we like to situate ourselves at the little harbor piazza and sip Chiaretto, and have some lake fish or tutti di mare, and watch the ferries come and go, and watch the people come and go.

Thanks for bringing up some great memories.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:50 am

Steve Slatcher wrote:Did you try eating at Al Torcol in Sirmione

Steve, we didn't go there. So many restaurants ! I'll try it next time we go.

We ate in quite a few and quite often at the Grifone which is at the waters edge by the castle.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:09 am

Peter May wrote:
Steve Slatcher wrote:Did you try eating at Al Torcol in Sirmione

Steve, we didn't go there. So many restaurants ! I'll try it next time we go.

We ate in quite a few and quite often at the Grifone which is at the waters edge by the castle.

We didn't try Grifone. The location at least sounds better than "ours". Al Torcol is towards the end of a side street running West off the main drag, and up a slight incline. Not very noticeable unless you are looking. Also ate in a few other (cheaper) places that were less distinguished and I would particularly recommend.

You could also try visiting Ca' dei Frati next time you are there if you haven't already. Just outside the newer bit of Sirmione (may be a different name) on the "mainland". We walked from the old town but it was a bit of a schlep (45mins?). Without a doubt, one of the better local wineries.