The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1992 Belle Père Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Louis Belle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: 1992 Belle Père Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Louis Belle

by Salil » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Bought for $18 a few months ago from Hart Davis Hart. Given the reputation of the vintage, I figured it was a gamble but worth a try at a sale price. Opened it last night, and I'm very glad I bought this.

Clear dark red colour turning to brick-orange at the rim. The nose is lovely with perfumed aromas of leather, olives, earth and autumnal leafy notes. Quiet, subtle and rather light on the palate (only 12.6% alcohol - when did I last see that in a Syrah, or any other red for that matter?) with earth and leather dominating over faint red fruit flavours, bright acidity and smooth, well-integrated tannins. The flavours fade a little quickly on the finish, but that's the only minor complaint I could have about this.

Texturally, this reminds me of the few older Burgundies I've tried - very silky, delicate and subtle with wonderful aromatics. Plenty of complexity here with the flavour profile I'd expect from a classic old-world Syrah, and lovely with food. A definite thumbs-up (especially at the price).
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

Re: WTN: 1992 Belle Père Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Louis Belle

by Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:46 am

What a deal, and how nice to hear something from 2002 in the Northern Rhone is showing well. I skipped the whole vintage there, looking to save a few bucks for bigger vintages - and bigger prices. I have one '99 Cuvee LB still laying around and your note reminds me to go get it.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:16 am

Actually, it's a 92. So I'm sure your 99 LB will be fine for a good while longer.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:54 am

Salil,

Sorry about that, I guess I need to proofread a bit, what a a concept. :wink:
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin