The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Zins From The Archives...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Zins From The Archives...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:18 pm

We tasted last night (10/15/08) Some Zins From The Archives:
1. ElyseWnry JacobFranklin NapaVlly Charbono (ToffanelliVnyd, 13.2%; 17 brls) 2006: Dark
color; light toasty/oak rather licorice/pungent/earthy somewhat spicy/loamy/foresty nose;
soft/fat/lush rather earthy/loamy/licorice light toasty/oak somewhat rough/tannic flavor;
med.long earthy/licorice light toasty/oak finish w/ rough tannins; a rather earthy/rustic/
rough wine but a bit on the soft/fat side. $35.00
flavor; very long lush/ripe blackberry/boysenberry/PS bit peppery/pungent finish w/ fair
tannins; a soft/lush/ripe PS w/ loads of fruit but not quite the structure of previous
ones. $65.00
pencilly/cigar box finish; interesting nose but not deliver much on the palate. $8.15
dried out/astringent flavor; long/smooth some lush/blackberry/Zin slightly dried out/
astringent finish; drying out slightly but smooth/polished on the palate w/ some blackberry
fruit remaining. $7.75
no tannins; a delicate old lady that doesn't have much to give; not dried out but just sort of
an Oakland wine.."there's no there there". $7.60
astringent flavor; long lush/blackberry/Zin/spicy/herbal some vanilla/oak finish w/ light
tannins; classic Rosenblum lushness and still very much alive. $12.50
tarry/pungent/charred/oak no fruit flavor; med.long tannic/astringent/dried out some charred/
oak/pungent finish; no fruit & lots of charred/burnt oak; pretty far gone but not vile. $10.00
slight funky/wet dog fur finish; pretty much dead & gone. $7.50
very long bit astringent very spicy/briary/perfumed finish; starting to dry out & crack up a bit,
but lovely aromatics in the wine and still speaks of Amador Zin. $14.00
slight astringent flavor; very long charred/burnt/tarry/oak some briary/blackberry slight
astringent/dried out finish; pretty strong charred/forest fire character but still briary Amador
Zin fruit; starting to dry out and crack up. $8.00
pencilly/oak fairly lush/briary/AmadorZin/blackberry/spicy quite ripe complex flavor; long slight
astringent/dried out somewhat lush/ripe rather briary/AmadorZin/spicy/blackberry complex cedary/
old Zin finish; starting to dry out but some wonderful old Zin character therein. $4.19
pencilly/cedary/old Zin complex flavor; very long rather sweet spicy/peppery/blackberry/Zin some
cedary/pencilly finish w/ little tannins. In wonderfully good shape w/ plenty of blackberry fruit
left; tastes much sweeter than 1%. $16.00
harvesty very strong briary/blackberry/AmadorZin some hot/alcoholic bit charred/burnt/oak complex
flavor; long bit alcoholic slight raisened/late harvesty very briary/AmadorZin/blackberry/spicy finish
w/ light tannins; in amazingly good shape and no signs of drying out; nose a bit funky and
weird, but great flavor. $10.99
vines slight late harvesty/alcoholic ripe/briary flavor; very long very ripe/briary/blackberry/juicy
slight alcoholic/late harvesty finish w/ little tannins; still in great shape and a classic Amador
LateHrvst. $8.90
very intense blackberry/boysenberry/Amador/briary/DrPepper/cream soda big Zin fruit slight cedary
flavor; very long very sweet complex/cream soda/DrPepper intense blackberry/Amador/briary/spicy
rather complex slight cedary/pencilly w/ little tannins; in wonderful shape w/ no signs of falling
apart. $8.00
the oafish/clunky character Calif PS can often show. The Charbono is Ray's first foray
into that varietal.
one time, Lee was making some pretty outstanding dessert wines, including ports and sherries;
but, again, I've not tried any of late.
grapes. Trinchero bought a ton in '68 and the rest, as they say, is history...sort of. My first
Amador Zin was the SutterHome '70. It was stunning..and only 13% alcohol...or thereabouts. It
kindled my love for Amador, one of the really beautiful/bucholic (Kansas boys know bucholic) parts
of Calif. I had the chance to try that original '68 SutterHome a handful of times and it easily
went out 20 yrs in age. Meanwhile, Charlie went commercial and started making AmadorZins from Deaver
at his HarborWnry, right smack dab behind Wingo&Sons Upholstery there on WestSacramentoBlvd. No
tour buses showing up there. His Deaver Zins were always wonderful until the '78, when they got
very ripe and he had a stuck fermentation and it was still quite sweet. He sold it as "Country
Zin" at $4/btl, and kissed off Deaver Zin grapes until just very recently. Then along came Cary
Gott in '73 and started MontevinaWnry, where he made some of Amador's greatest wines ever made
for the next 8 yrs. Then in the mid-'80's, ScottHarvey came along and was winemaker for Nancy
Santino's label. The Renwood label was spawned and again some of Amador's greatest wines were
being made. And one should not overlook the great Amador Zins made in the mid '70's from Eschen
and Esola grapes by FrankMahoney/CarnerosCreek and PaulDraper/Ridge. MontereyPeninsula also,
from John Fererro's grapes.
Alas, those times of an unending flow out of Amador of great Zins has come and gone. So sad.
Amador could be consistently making those great Zins of yore, but just doesn't. You occasionally
see those flashes of greatness from BillEaston or Ben&KatieZeitman. Occasionallt Karly or Sobon.
And Noceto. And Youngs. But they could be doing so much better in the ShenandoahVlly. There
are some exceptional grapes being grown there but it seems to becomming a vinous backwater, with
only an occasional flash in the pan. Easily the best Amador Zin I've had in 10 yrs or so was the
recent ScottHarvey Vnyd1863 (GrandPere) Zin '05, a dead ringer for those early SutterHome Zins
(and that's to be considered a compliment).
So sad I say.
and raisened and pruney. It certainly showed no signs of that at 25 yrs of age. It held up far
better than I'd expected.
By and large, this batch was in pretty good condition and none of them totally shot.
that an important wine writer wanted to talk to them that they insisted I stay for lunch and
plyed me w/ some of Ernie's ho-made wine (it was pretty dreadful...oxidized & volatile). I had
mentioned that my car ('68 DodgeDart) was making some strange noises. So after lunch, Ernie
insisted that I drive it around back of the house so he could jack it up and look underneath.
He diagnosed it easily as badly worn U-Joints and would have replaced them right there on the
spot if'n I'd have let him. A really great/salt-of-the-earth couple, like I know from Kansas.
Alas, "Ornery Ernie" died some 15 yrs ago in a welding tank explosion at his home, but Lena
still lives there and is doing well I'm told.
I really do need to revisit the ShenandoahVlly for a few days, my old vinous stomping grounds.
Tom
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: Some Zins From The Archives...(long/boring)

by Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:19 pm

Terrific notes Tom. The titles sound like Zins from my youth!