The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sherry, Vina Herminia, Lustau, Melton, Montes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Sherry, Vina Herminia, Lustau, Melton, Montes

by Jay Labrador » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:17 am

Short notes from a tasting of Caballero brands at Ralph's Wine Museum with a few others thrown in.

Caballero Macarena Manzanilla - Very light and slightly nutty. Uninteresting.

Caballero Pavon Puerto Fino - Very dry. Makes your mouth water. Also untinteresting.

Vina Herminia Crianza 2004 - Slightly hot, tannic. Blackberry. A bit spicy. Good.

Vina Herminia Excelsus 2005 - Sweet fruit on the nose and palate. Strawberry. 8 months in French oak. Good. Very friendly.

Vina Herminia Reserva 2001 - Mint. Some softness but firms on the finish. Good balance. Very nice.

Montes Purple Angel 2005 - Carmenere with a pinch of Petit Verdot. Rich. Lots of fruit. Very tannic. Monolithic, very primary. Not showing much yet but should be very good in 5 years or so.

Charles Melton The Father in Law Shiraz 2005 - Earthy nose. Strawberry. Quite sweet. Unbalanced and not a style I like.

Lustau Moscatel Emilin - Very long and sweet. Sweet spices. Has the acidity to balance the sweetness. Raisin, grape and marmalade. Lovely.

Lustau San Emilio Pedro Ximenez - Coffee, very rich, spicy, smooth. Figs, dates, very long finish. Outstanding.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Sherry, Vina Herminia, Lustau, Melton, Montes

by Jenise » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:02 pm

Agree with you about the Melton. In fact, your statement could fit any of the Melton reds as far as I'm concerned. But their Rose is another story--love that one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov