The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rhones, Mystery Wine and a Fantastic Filhot Sauternes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Rhones, Mystery Wine and a Fantastic Filhot Sauternes

by Jay Labrador » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:08 am

Having to make room in his cellar for some new bottles, a group of us were invited to lunch by Jojo who generously supplied all the wines.

Domaine Sainte Anne Cotes du Rhone Blanc 2004 - Viognier. Some slight oxidation. A little peachy. Dry and crisp. Slightly flawed by the oxidation.

Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc La Crau 2004 - Soft and fresh. Very good.

Escaravailles Heritage 1924 Rasteau 2005 - Nice nose but with a bit of a medicinal quality to it. A little hot. Ripe, soft, sweet. Modern-style. Very good.

Domaine Sainte Anne Les Mourillons Saint-Gervois 2003 - Plum liqueur-like nose. Soft and easy to drink. Not a lot of complexity. Straightforward wine but well-balanced. Very good.

Chateau Rayas Fonsalette 2001 - Leather, old books, earth. Good fruit. Very complex. This has softened sufficiently to be ready for drinking. Great stuff. Outstanding.

Clos du Mont Olivet Cuvee du Papet 1998 - Good nose. Soft and spicy. Dry fruit. Quite dry. Good but not that interesting.

Chateau Saint Cosme Gigondas Valbelle 1998 - Beautiful nose but still quite tannic. Could use a bit more time.

Domaine Janasse Chaupin 2000 - Spicy, medium weight. Indistinct nose. Didn't make much of an impression.

Mystery Wine - Some bricking on the edge. Good nose but this has some age on it. Quite dry. Some acidity on this. Tobacco. Some guesses were Burgundy, Right bank, Merlot. I thought it couldn't be Merlot due to the obvious acidity. I knew it was Bordeaux due to bottle shape although it was in a paper bag. I guessed Left Bank 1990. Turned out this was Chateau Calon Segur 1982. At least I got the side of the river right. This wine has passed its peak but has just started to decline. I would drink up if I had any.

For dessert we had:

Chateau Filhot Creme de Tete 1990 - Light copper color. Lovely, classic Sauternes nose. Honey. Beautiful balance. Brown sugar, marmalade. No heaviness at all. Mind-blowing stuff. Creamy, but the acidity provides balance. Endless length. This goes to 11. Filhot is only 2eme Cru in Sauternes but this Creme de Tete could outrank a few firsts.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Rhones, Mystery Wine and a Fantastic Filhot Sauternes

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 am

I am surprised that the Chateauneufs did not make more of an impression. I'm a fan of both the Olivet and Janasse wines you tasted.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: WTN: Rhones, Mystery Wine and a Fantastic Filhot Sauternes

by Jay Labrador » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I am surprised that the Chateauneufs did not make more of an impression. I'm a fan of both the Olivet and Janasse wines you tasted.

I was surprised too! I think it was because they came after the Fonsalette which was just great so the Olivet and the Janasse just couldn't keep up. If I remember correctly, the general consensus was that the Fonsalette was clearly the best wine.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.