The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A mature Saumur-Champigny

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: A mature Saumur-Champigny

by Tim York » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:47 am

Saumur-Champigny 1982 – René-Noël Legrand – 100% Cabernet franc

These bottles were available at the estate for a knock-down price because Legrand considered that they were breaking up (I can’t remember the word he used but that was the gist of it). He has always been apologetic about his 82 saying that his yields have since come down and that his work in both the vineyard and cellar has improved. Nevertheless, about five years ago the wine was still really beautiful, so I reckoned that the gamble was worthwhile. Here is what one bottle was like last night (they are probably quite variable).

C: Quite light with amber at the rim and somewhat lacking in transparency (perhaps stirred up by transport from Varrains in May and/or by standing up for only 1 hour before serving) but I don’t think that this affected the taste.
N: Lovely with aromas of fine tea, pencil lead and a touch of gently sweet red fruit.
P: Has definitely dried out somewhat losing some body and “gras” but still retains enough to support the lovely aromas and for elegance on entry and mid-palate; however the finish now reveals a slightly cloying touch, almost incipient rottenness; so a very interesting and attractive, if flawed, drink; difficult to rate but let’s say 15.5/20 (was 17.5/20).

I have been buying Legrand’s wines at the estate for well over 10 years. They are often rustic and difficult to taste when young but they usually show exceptionally deep colour and robustness with bags of structure and terroir character and age beautifully; superb 89 Vieilles Vignes. Legrand’s integrity is shown by his willingness to unload a wine like this, which he considers seriously flawed; it is, IMHO, every bit as good as several mature bottles from, for example, Lamé-Delisle-Boucard, for which I paid solid prices.

He has one importer in the USA (California) and none, I think, in the UK.
Tim York
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Re: WTN: A mature Saumur-Champigny

by AlexR » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:35 pm

Fascinating Tim.

I've had very old Chinon and Bourgueil, but never Saumur or Saumur Champigny.

What surprises the world of wine holds!

All the best,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:29 am

Agree with Alex, very interesting. Thanks for this note Tim!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:49 am

Alex, in my book Saumur-Champigny is just as fine as Chinon and Bourgueil in, perhaps, a rather more robust less elegant style and there is no reason why the best examples should not be equally age-worthy. If Legrand had been working as well in 1982 as he did later on, I think that this vintage would still have been showing robustly.

My guess is that the S-Cs of the Foucault brothers (Clos Rougeard) are even more age-worthy and certainly more consistent than those of Legrand but I have more doubts about the ageing of the excellent but easier drinking wines of Chevallier (Ch de Villeneuve), Vatan (Ch du Hureau) and Th. Germain (Roches Neuves).
Tim York