The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Basa Rueda, Blanck Gewurz, Boubée Sauternes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: Basa Rueda, Blanck Gewurz, Boubée Sauternes

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:55 am

Three whites for an all-seafood menu prepared by Marcia.

With minced crab fried in tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and coriander served as an amuse bouche followed by “escondidinho,” a casserole of shrimp layered under mashed “mandioquinha” (arracacha, white carrot) purée:
2006 Basa (Telmo Rodriguez) Rueda Blanco 13%
An unoaked blend of 50% Verdejo, 10% Sauvignon Blanc and 40% Viura. Nice nose of grapefruit and touches of quince and lilac. A bit sweet, insufficient acidity, ending on a slightly bitter note. My first wine from hipster Telmo Rodriguez but nothing to write home about and nowhere near as attractive as the 2007 Bodegas Valduero García Viadero Blanco tasted a few months ago at the Leon and Castilla event.

With muqueca, a Brazilian fish dish using Saint Pierre fried in coconut milk, dendê (sorry, no translation) oil, tomatoes, peppers, onions, parsley and coriander:
2005 Paul Blanck Gewürztraminer Alsace 13%
Bottled under screwcap (hooray). Characteristic lychee, acacia and honey aromas followed by some caramel sweetness on the palate. At first this seems to have sufficient acidity and is somewhere between dry and off-dry but, as it warms, the acidity recedes and it becomes increasingly cloying. Towards the end it became undrinkably so.

With a dessert of sweet pumpkin cubes and sweet coconut purée with cinnamon:
2004 Johanès Boubée Sauternes Réserve 13%
A gift from a recent dinner guest. Found few references to this sauternes, apparently it is available in some French supermarkets. Characteristic apricot nose but with less honey and botrytis than one finds in top class sauternes or barsac. Good acid/fruit balance, light and pleasant, reasonably tasty but too dilute to deliver the classic sauternes experience. Never thought I’d call a sauternes a quaffer but if ever there was such, this is it.

Food was great, wine was mediocre, a frustrating imbalance after all the hard work Marcia put into planning and preparing the meal.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: WTNs: Basa Rueda, Blanck Gewurz, Boubée Sauternes

by Keith M » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:37 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2006 Basa (Telmo Rodriguez) Rueda Blanco 13% . . . My first wine from hipster Telmo Rodriguez but nothing to write home about and nowhere near as attractive as the 2007 Bodegas Valduero García Viadero Blanco tasted a few months ago at the Leon and Castilla event.

Mmm, you might want to try out the 2007 Basa--I haven't had the 2006 but the 2007 was certainly not lacking in acid and very friendly with seafood, indeed delicious.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Keith M wrote:Mmm, you might want to try out the 2007 Basa--I haven't had the 2006 but the 2007 was certainly not lacking in acid and very friendly with seafood, indeed delicious.

Thanks, Keith, then I won't write it off. Enjoyed your Poulsard post!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:15 pm

Echoing Keith here, yes, the Basa Rueda is worth another shot, Oswaldo.

Get the freshest vintage possible, I'd say; I think that's when it is best. I've certainly not had any deficient in acidity.

And the fish dish sounded great!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:23 pm

Oh, Oswaldo, up here dende oil is referred to as red palm oil. I've had it once that I recall.

It's a startlingy orange-red oil, high in saturated far. Very colorful stuff.

When Thomas Pellechia and his friend, Frank, were in town, and I found out Frank had visited numerous times in Brazil, and loved the food there, we decided to go to our local Portugese restaurant, La Salette. Best feijoada I've had in California. And Frank said it was very, very Brazilian! Thomas and Roxi had Cataplana del Mariscos and both said it was very good. Manuel, the chef/owner, does a great mix of classic Portugese and Brasiliana cooking.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:44 am

Hoke wrote:Oh, Oswaldo, up here dende oil is referred to as red palm oil. I've had it once that I recall. It's a startlingy orange-red oil, high in saturated far. Very colorful stuff.

Thank you, that's it! Stands out like a fiery redhead next to the amber brunette of other oils.