The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Buena Vista 1978 Lachryma Montis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

WTN: Buena Vista 1978 Lachryma Montis

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:04 am

Halloween night and we have a surprise visit from two friends of the longest acquaintance of my life, now at the front door and lo, they've brought us treats. It's their last bottle of the exact wine which they served Dawn and I on Halloween some twenty-four years back. This is a set up; Dawn and Connie have planned this quietly for years, to be held on the bottle's 30th year of being.

Between our households, we must have hunted down four or so cases of "The Lach". We printed t-shirts boldly announcing "Lach Man" superpowers, which we wore on trips to the North Coast. The 1978 (and its 1975 and 1977 brothers as well) were our personal secret handshake: our first wine-find of our own and it was drinking well back in 1984.

Buena Vista 1978 Lachryma Montis - Sonoma Valley Red Table Wine
This was supposedly a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and several other red grapes, presumably Pinot Noir and Barbera, but we never could discover exactly what from the winery. Supposedly a fine table wine on par with the Private Reserve program, it was produced at Buena Vista's old winery property and received a mixed barrel treatment of French, American and Yugoslavian. We laugh a bit before pulling the cork, having no hope this wine will drink well at all. But, for about twenty minutes, this pale garnet memory (marked with sediment bits throughout) gives a glimpse of its old self. It's a decent impersonation of a very old Chianti. A bit of dried rose petal, mint and cherry aroma. The flavors are somewhat quiet, a little watery but having a dill and cherry cola sweetness in the mouth, a nudge of sourness and sour cherry on the finish (something that I find typical in aged nebbiolo). Quickly though, the bottle turns sour and is undrinkable.

Sigh. We reflect on the bottles gone past and our own youth, long past as well. Dawn starts water for coffee and Connie pulls out her gooseberry pie. I run to the cold room for a 1/2 bottle of '83 Suduiraut. Life is good. So is the Suduiraut, wickedly decrepit tonight, darkened past amber and still sweet. Just how we like it with the Gooseberry pie.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WTN: Buena Vista 1978 Lachryma Montis

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:35 am

Man, that's one that barely brings back some old memories. I remember having some vintage or other of that (probably at the winery) back in the mid-80's(?)

Don't remember anything about the wine other than the name. Very nice of the ladies to plan this for you, though! A worthy 30th anniversary wine between friends, whether it drank well or not.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

Re: WTN: Buena Vista 1978 Lachryma Montis

by Jeff_Dudley » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:35 pm

Mike,

Yes, the ladies did a good thing for the Lach Men. I recall several vintages still being poured in the Buena Vista Reserve Room, probably as late as 1989. I think they charged $12 per taste for it, at the time a shockingly high price in the valley.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin