The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Halloween w/GV, plus Prosecco, St Emilion, Gattinara

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Halloween w/GV, plus Prosecco, St Emilion, Gattinara

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:24 pm

After giving out 3,500 pieces of candy at work (village closes down business district, for 2 hours kids from all over trick and treat downtown), came home for dinner and our neighborhood T&Ters. Between answering the door, we had pork chops in a mustard cream sauce and doggiebag cassoulet beans, with the 2004 Schlossweingut Bockfliess Gruner Veltliner (Weinvertel). This was a cheapie doing double-duty as the cooking and dinner wine. Clear GV character- lentils, white pepper and citrus, but quite a bit on short side, and surprisingly seems just a touch off dry. Wouldn't go looking for this, but it was $5 and ok for that price! B-

Got a call from a friend Saturday- his wife was out of town, and he had just scored some venison. He came over, he and Betsy did some cutlets (a mustard glaze, and then plain with a balsamic reduction), while I grilled squash, eggplant, and fava beans.

Greeting/preptime wine was the 2007 Bisson Prosecco del Colli Trevigiani. Dry, crisp, just lightly sparkling (label says frizzante). Bright apple fruit with a lemon twist. Very good, big hit all around, will get more. B+

Two reds with the meal:
2001 Ch. Monbousquet (St Emilion)
Ron likes big ripe reds, which is why I chose. Usually if I mentally prepare myself for a modern Bordeaux, I can enjoy. But this one mostly annoyed me. Huge blackberry and cassis fruit, but even this fruit can't stand up to the wave - I mean WAVE- of toasty/caramelly/burnt oak that frames this wine. I've liked this more before, but this was way OTT for me last night. It did get a bit more tolerable after a couple hours air. C+

1998 Travaglini Gattinara (the one with the odd shaped bottle)
Light, floral, some tar and leather over light red cherry fruit. I expected something a little sturdier, but this was a nice lighter styled Nebbiolo. Good acidity, resolved tannins, could use a little more concentration. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.