The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some White Wines...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some White Wines...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:51 pm

We tried last night (10/29/08) Some Whites:
1. SauvignonRepublic SauvBlanc RRV (http://www.SauvignonRepublic.com; 13.8%) Graton 2006: Pale
yellow color; rather gooseberry/grassy/cat pee slight earthy/pungent classic SB nose;
tart/dry stoney/gooseberry/cat pee bit melony/floral slight earthy flavor; med.long
tart gooseberry/grassy light earthy/floral finish; attractive/pleasant SB but just that.
$16.95
stoney light grassy/floral finish; bit on light & lean side but a very attractive Loire
SB at a great price. $10.20
flavor; very long tart lush/melony/floral light vanilla/toasty/oak finish; a pleasant wine
that only whispers of SB; rather pricey at $66.00
stoney/minerally/earthy pungent/under-the-porch/grassy finish; rather classic Loire/SB w/ lots
of pungent character. $30.00
a classic/pleasant SB at a great price. $14.50
light toasty/pencilly/oak flavor; long slight pencilly/oak rather meloney/herbal slight earthy/
stoney finish; lots of ripe SB fruit but nice acidity and structure; rather textbook SB.$25.00
very long/lingering very perfumed/floral/almost muscatty some herbal/SB light pencilly/oak finish;
some herbal/SB character but lots of floral/aromatic character.$25.00
Albarino but lack that bracing/minerally character. $17.00
oaked flavor; long very overripe/rotted apple finish; rather corked on the nose but very
overripe on the palate. $37.00
peachy some alcoholic/hot some toasty/caramel/oak finish; loads of very ripe Viognier character
but too over-the-top for me. $22.00
Viog rather hot/alcoholic finish; rather overripe/fumey and slammed w/ oak. $29.00
pear/peach/Viog some minerally/Condrieu finish; a stunning Viognier at a great price. $21.00
tiring on the palate. $43.00
long overripe/oxidized/toasted hazelnuts caramel/butterscotch/toasty/oak some hot/fumey finish;
totally over-the-top and breaking apart. No bargin at $14.24
some toasty/charred/oak flavor; big/ripe/tart/lush powerful/huge fruit/floral/honeysuckle some
toasty/oak/smokey complex finish; huge Roussanne fruit but the structure to carry it out in age;
terrific Roussanne at a good price. $36.00
I don't think this is particularly a growing trend, just a weird chice of Viogniers.
On the other hand, the Harlequin may be one of the greatest USofA Viogniers I've yet had.
Robert Goodfriend has fashioned some very good Viogniers there in Touchet since the 2006, but this
may very well be his best one yet. It shows some of that minerality you get in Condrieu but
virtually never find in US versions. A tryuly stunning Viognier.
On the third hand, I was rather surprised by the Paras Viognier. I had tasted this about six
months ago and liked it for its intense Viognier varietal character. This one seemed pretty
overripe and w/ residual sugar. The Paras Vnyd is atop MtVeeder on the old AlBaxter Veedercrest
site. I've had some exceptional Viogniers and Syrahs from this vnyd over the yrs. I believe that
Doug Danilek (formerly of JadeMtn) is now back as the winemaker of these grapes according to
Scott Woodard.
balanced & structured that may go out 10-20 yrs is my guess.
enhanced floral aromatics. The story I heard (from Doug) was that DougMeador/VentanaVnyd, down
in ArroyoSecco of MontereyCnty was finding his SB's to be on the very herbaceous side. He happened
to spot a Sauv Musque on the UC/Davis list of plant material, but noone there seemed to know
anything of its origins or its character. He planted some and was very impressed by its aromatics
and sort of became a champion of Sauv Musque over the yrs. Supposedly, Merry Edwards was also
working w/ Sauv Musque in the '70's as well I've heard. The wine from Musque have an enhanced
perfume/floral character that reminds me some of RibollaGialla and MoscatoGiallo from Friuli.
Whatever it is, the DryCreekVnyd version is one of the best around.
Tom