The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1997 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

by Redwinger » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:05 am

1997 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

Decanted for about an hour. Threw quite a bit of sediment. Deep, dark, almost purple color with no indication of fade on the rim. Black cherry flavor profile. The oak was evident and more than I am comfortable with. NJ didn't mind the oak and it was her birthday afterall. I was surprised that there was still enough acidity and tannins to give support to the fruit. Not a lot of complexity, but it was a heck of a lot more enjoyable that some of the other recent Cabs from this vintage that we've tried lately.

No harm in holding for a bit longer, but I don't think there will be any significant development.

Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1997 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:23 am

I am one who tends to hold Pride cabs for a long time compared to the average wine geek, so I am surprised to see a post on the '97. The '95 is standing up in my cellar for an appearance later this month. I never thought of '97 as much more than a delicious yet superficial vintage, so your note does not surprise me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

Re: WTN: 1997 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

by R Cabrera » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:12 am

Redwinger wrote:1997 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

Not a lot of complexity, but it was a heck of a lot more enjoyable that some of the other recent Cabs ...

Redwinger

That's pretty much the Pride wines that I know and appreciate. Thanks for the note.
I don't have anymore of the pre 2000's Pride, but am encouraged that I can hold on to the early 2000's that I have for later drinking.

RC
Ramon Cabrera