The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 6 year old Macon doing fine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 6 year old Macon doing fine

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:05 am

While NY State Theater, their Lincoln Center home, is being renovated, City Opera is doing some concert performances in other boroughs. Yesterday was Brooklyn, so I was in charge of dinner (a real bonus of cellphones, Betsy could keep me posted re return time). I baked red snapper filets with a butter/herb dressing, served with wild rice, salad, broccoli, and the 2002 Daniel Barraud "La Roche" Macon-Vergisson. Six years is pushing it for Macon, but this was far from dead. Clean citrus and green apple fruit, there is a little vanillin hint of oak(?), big for a Maconnais wine. Good length, some flinty mineral notes on finish, nice wine. Would it have been better a year or two ago? Maybe, but quite pleasant now. Perfect for the fish. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 6 year old Macon doing fine

by Tim York » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Dale, that is by no means unique. Rijckaert's Viré-Clessé "En Thurissey" 02 was still vigorous with some added complexity at a tasting in the summer and the previous summer his Viré-Clessé "L'Epinet" 02 was similar. I doubt, though, whether he can achieve the same every vintage.
Tim York