The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Reignac (Bordeaux Supérieur)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 Reignac (Bordeaux Supérieur)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:49 pm

I was surprised to see that I had not opened a bottle of this in almost three years. Our friends Paula & Stuart (no, not that Stuart) were coming over & I was given a challenge of pouring a Merlot that Stuart (really, not that Stuart) would like. After more than 4 years of cellaring this is still very primary, with plummy, dark fruit, a healthy wallop of oak & rich, almost sappy flavors. After getting over the shock of how big it still is there's some mellowing going on in the background, but it's still a bruiser. It's got plenty of structure though, as well as some acidity hiding in a corner. It's no restaurant Merlot, that's for sure. It can probably stand another 3-5 years in the cellar to mellow out even further.

And Stuart (NO, NO, NOT THAT Stuart)...he liked it. He was shocked when I told him that the wine was mostly Merlot (we won't disclose the 25% Cabernet Sauvignon).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: 2001 Reignac (Bordeaux Supérieur)

by Mark S » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: After more than 4 years of cellaring this is still very primary...

Dude, I know the Bordeaux is meant to be more drinkable in it's youth, but it still is Bordeaux.

Have you tried the 05?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Haven't tried any Reignac other than the 2001.

Some of hte other "small" '01s are really peaking/slipping past that peak now. Cap de Faugeres is as good as it is ever going to get with only downside ahead. The same goes for '01 La Prade. I won't be opening my lone remaining Reignac for a while (and won't go anywhere near the '01 Clos Les Lunelles for a loooooong time).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:25 pm

I had the 00 and 05 Reignacs earlier this year. The 00 was also incredibly primary and just starting to soften a bit, but was quite enjoyable with some meat (although I have no doubt it'll be much more interesting in several more years) - the 05 on the other hand was a massive tannic monster. It took about 2-3 days before I could actually drink it without wincing - but it's definitely a very impressive wine with a ton of fruit, richness and a bit of coffee/oak underneath. Not surprised the 01 is similarly very young and primary. The ones I tasted gave me the impression this is a wine to forget about in a cellar for a number of years.