The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: update on 95 Branaire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: update on 95 Branaire

by Jenise » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:21 pm

This wine, unlike most 95's, has been famously open for about a year now, but if Sunday's bottle is typical, it's going back to sleep. We had an otherwise unflawed bottle open and in decanter for several hours, and it didn't relax. Last night the remainders were much better.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: update on 95 Branaire

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:30 pm

That's odd.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: WTN: update on 95 Branaire

by Covert » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:24 pm

Jenise wrote:This wine, unlike most 95's, has been famously open for about a year now, but if Sunday's bottle is typical, it's going back to sleep. We had an otherwise unflawed bottle open and in decanter for several hours, and it didn't relax. Last night the remainders were much better.

Memories make a wine. As you know, '95 Branaire has a special meaning to me. The only '95 I really like a lot. I was at a trade show in San Diego and a cute, young woman overheard a colleague and me talking about wines we loved, and we bounced around a few price points. The girl exclaimed that she would give her body to any man who bought her a $100 bottle of wine. I took her to a lovely restaurant on the edge of the major park in that city, the name of which escapes me. I was very careful in selecting a wine, remembering my guest's comment. I decided on the '95 Branaire, partially because it cost $95, just like its year. It just seemed perfect, and lucky. One sniff and sip and I was blown away. The quintessential Bordeaux from my perspective (most men would probably consider it little and light; but that's partially why it was perfect, then). For the girl's pride, it was as good as a $100 bottle; and she was off the hook. I subsequently bought a case and every damned cork had a plug rather than press fit, and the wines were oxidized, as you know. Checked out Winesearcher, and zip. I would give my body to get my hands on another '95 Branaire.