The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Food/Wine Pairing Suggestion?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Food/Wine Pairing Suggestion?

by Sam Platt » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:34 pm

We are going to a charity dinner this coming Saturday and have offered to bring some wines along. The main courses are Cornish game hen with an orange sauce, and prime rib. I was thinking about an Alsatian Gewurztraminer and maybe a Pouilly-Fuisse for the fowl with a Bordeaux and California Syrah (ESJ Shadow) for the beef. Any other thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Food/Wine Pairing Suggestion?

by Carl Eppig » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Sam, I don't know about the weight of the Syrah. If it is on the light side, sounds fine. Otherwise I would go with a Pinot on the heavy side. Good ideas about the whites.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:57 pm

I love Muscat any time orange is mentioned.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Sam, I don't know about the weight of the Syrah. If it is on the light side, sounds fine. Otherwise I would go with a Pinot on the heavy side. Good ideas about the whites.

Carl,

The Syrah I had in mind is a middle weight that I think would work pretty well. I had actually thought about taking a D'Angerville Volnay, but I had more or less dismissed the idea of any Pinot being sufficient. Do you think the Volnay would hold up well?

David Bueker wrote:I love Muscat any time orange is mentioned.

David,

That's a great idea. Unfortunately, the only Muscat I have is the Quady Essencia. Probably too cloying for a main course.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Sam Platt wrote: Do you think the Volnay would hold up well?

Yes.

Cheers, Carl
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:22 am

One year on our anniversary I served Lafite with cornish hens in orange sauce. Works for me. But I think a light bodied red would work nicely, like a good Beaujolais.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:38 am

I'm not familiar with the Volnay, but I generally don't think of pinot noir with prime rib. My knee jerk reaction is that prime rib tends to be a fattier cut of beef and that most pinot noir does not have the tannin content to stand up to that level of fat. The only beef I pair with pinot noir is tenderloin or some other very lean cut.

I still have several bottles of The Shadow in the cellar. Last I tasted one, there was a fair amount of tannin still there. Bordeaux tends to have more tannins than pinot noir as well. I think either would be a fine match with the prime rib.

Julia B, have you popped one of your Shadows lately?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:01 pm

Sam Platt wrote:We are going to a charity dinner this coming Saturday and have offered to bring some wines along. The main courses are Cornish game hen with an orange sauce, and prime rib. I was thinking about an Alsatian Gewurztraminer and maybe a Pouilly-Fuisse for the fowl with a Bordeaux and California Syrah (ESJ Shadow) for the beef. Any other thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sam,
The wild card here is "orange sauce." In its original incarnation, Duck à l'orange was made using bitter oranges and had very little sweetness to it. Most interpretations of it, though, use sweet oranges and add sugar to boot, making the end result quite sweet and a difficult pairing. I'd think that a high-acidity white would be the thing, either Riesling, Chenin or something funkier. You'd want a fairly big white, though, so I'd look to something like Auslese or Coulée de Serrant (finally! a use for a Joly wine!!).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:37 pm

Not sure about the Pouilly-Fuisse with the orange sauce Sam. I'd go with Mark's Riesling or Chenin instead. The other wines sound OK to me though. Let us know how it works out!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Sam,
Sorry I missed this post until now. The Shadow is in a kinda weird phase right now. At best, it will require mucho hours of decant (based upon my last gulp a few months ago), so I don't know how that will fit with dinner plans.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. This particular Volnay, D'Angerville Clos Des Ducs, is stout enough that I could see it standing up to the prime rib pretty well. For the game hen with orange sauce dish I might take a 2003 JJ Prum Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese that we haven't tasted yet. I will stay away from the Pouilly Fuisse and will let the Shadow work through its funky phase this time.

Thank again.
Sam