The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Brut Nature to Celebrate with!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A Brut Nature to Celebrate with!

by Saina » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:48 pm

I received a good enough piece of news today that I had to go out and buy a bottle of fizz to celebrate!

• N.V. Drappier Champagne Brut Nature Zero Dosage - France, Champagne (11/6/2008)
    34,90€; 12% abv; 8g/l acidity. The nose at first was voluptuously fruity, more Rubensian in proportions that I thought possible for a Brut Nature - it smelled of strawberry jam. Gladly by the second glass some nuance had appeared and it became a very pure example of Pinot with its red toned fruit/red apple and floral notes. The fruit was sweet and still had a touch of strawberry to it, but it was no longer jam. Fine, small mousse. The palate is well structured and dry and grippy but it also had more pure fruit than I expected from the label, but happily less than I was afraid I would get from the first sniff! It shows great Pinosity, but I wouldn't have guessed a Brut Nature if served blind - could this be based on 2003? A surprising wine in some ways, but a very pleasurable one, too.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A Brut Nature to Celebrate with!

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Lots of 2003-based NVs out there right now. 2004/2005 are coming into markets now/soon, but not soon enough for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed it & also glad you got some good news.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:08 pm

And your good news is.....????
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Slow day in the office there Bruce!!!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:40 pm

DavidB: Lots of 2003-based NVs out there right now. 2004/2005 are coming into markets now/soon, but not soon enough for me.

Indeed. I read that the '04s should be in the steely, high acid style that I guess we two would enjoy very much. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the NVs and MVs based on '04. I guess '05 was as warm in Champers and elsewhere in France, so maybe not crisp and steely enough for me?

BruceH: And your good news is.....????

I was exempt from the compulsory military service. With a large part of my studies having concentrated on peace in the Near East, and being of a rather pacifist bent in a more holistic way also, this was obviously a huge relief for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I was exempt from the compulsory military service. With a large part of my studies having concentrated on peace in the Near East, and being of a rather pacifist bent in a more holistic way also, this was obviously a huge relief for me.

Fantastic, and congratulations!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Indeed Otto, congratulations. As is said, quite truly: War is bad for flowers and other living creatures".

When you speak of the "Near East" are we using the same terminology as when I refer to the "Middle-East" - that is to say in general Syria, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan and Israel? If so, we must talk more in detail......

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:DavidB: Lots of 2003-based NVs out there right now. 2004/2005 are coming into markets now/soon, but not soon enough for me.

Indeed. I read that the '04s should be in the steely, high acid style that I guess we two would enjoy very much. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the NVs and MVs based on '04. I guess '05 was as warm in Champers and elsewhere in France, so maybe not crisp and steely enough for me?

BruceH: And your good news is.....????

I was exempt from the compulsory military service. With a large part of my studies having concentrated on peace in the Near East, and being of a rather pacifist bent in a more holistic way also, this was obviously a huge relief for me.

Congratulations, Otto! :D
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Great, Otto, to hear that some good news came your way! May it be the start of a really good period for you.
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Indeed Otto, congratulations. As is said, quite truly: War is bad for flowers and other living creatures".

When you speak of the "Near East" are we using the same terminology as when I refer to the "Middle-East" - that is to say in general Syria, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan and Israel? If so, we must talk more in detail......

Thanks for all the congratulations! :) Rogov, that is indeed what I meant with NE. Middle-East and Near-East are practically synonyms, though ME tends to have more political connotations while NE historical.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Belated congrats to you, Otto. Your scholarship would have been wasted in the military, I am sure, and the wines available for tasting would have been spoofy to the extreme :lol:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:39 pm

Congrats on your good luck Otto. Incidently, I'm making a 100% Pinot Noir bubbly this year. I may make a few bottles "Brut Nature" and maybe, somehow, a few years down the road, perhaps I could get a bottle to you. I don't know how. :?:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Congrats on your good luck Otto. Incidently, I'm making a 100% Pinot Noir bubbly this year. I may make a few bottles "Brut Nature" and maybe, somehow, a few years down the road, perhaps I could get a bottle to you. I don't know how. :?:

When Otto gets that job as a globe-trotting wine scribe for a leading European wine magazine next year, I'm sure he'll be able to drop by and share a glass or two of your bubbly, Howie. :wink:
Cheers,

David