The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Living in historic times

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Living in historic times

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Yesterday, something happened that I never thought I'd see. A moment so wonderful, so life-changing, so uplifting that despite the woeful economy and troubles in foreign lands I am now filled with a sense of hope and joy. I know for a fact that whatever trials await me, I will forge ahead and not only survive but do so with a smile on my face!

Yesterday, I was in the small grocery store just around the corner from my house. I was looking over the wine selection which has lately been greatly improved when it seemed as though a single label jumped off the shelf and straight into my eyes. It was the 2005 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel!! Right there! In Sacramento!!! This was a moment to savor, for despite our proximity to Berkeley we have never had any distribution of ESJ wines in our area. (Some of you might want to chime in here to remind me that I am a lazy-ass poor excuse for a wino for not ordering it like the rest of the world, but I'm just not much for doing so. I like buying wine in shops where I can spend time looking at the stuff.) Of course, I immediately grabbed a bottle and walked over to their wine guy to inform him that he needed a LOT more of this in the store. He told me that those bottles had just been put on the shelf a few hours prior and that they came via a new distributor who also had plenty of Spanish and Italian wines in their book. Great, fine, yadda yadda yadda. I didn't need to hear more. I'll be going back to buy more tomorrow.

Happy times!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Living in historic times

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:55 pm

There will be tears in my eyes when I find ESJ here in Alberta!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:55 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:There will be tears in my eyes when I find ESJ here in Alberta!

Don't cry for me, Albertina? Wish I knew somebody up there in the business, Bob. Heck, I'd so love a good excuse to visit up there. Check out the Stampede, all that good stuff.
Nice to hear we made it as far as Sacramento; whcih store, Mike?
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:22 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:There will be tears in my eyes when I find ESJ here in Alberta!

Don't cry for me, Albertina? Wish I knew somebody up there in the business, Bob. Heck, I'd so love a good excuse to visit up there. Check out the Stampede, all that good stuff.

This was at Taylor's Market. Richard there has really done some good things with their wine program. Can't remember who he said was bringing in your wine, though.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:

Speaking of distribution, Steve in our emails last week I asked if you had distribution in Washington and I don't think you answered. Reason is, got a local wine retailer whose palate has delightfully skewed straight in our/your direction. Hates big oak, alcohol, and gobs. Loves European wines and goes gaga over the really edgy and traditional stuff--he's the one that brought in Brun Beaujolais and Lopez de Heredia, for instance. Anyway, he's interested in your wines by reputation but hasn't found a source or tasted a bottle (I plan to gift him one of those 7 bottles of gamay you're shipping me).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:24 pm

I'm so bad; the paperwork for WA is onerous, nightmarish, and paperwork, for me, is like a root-canal. So I just haven't gotten it together there; I really should.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Speaking of distribution, Steve in our emails last week I asked if you had distribution in Washington and I don't think you answered. Reason is, got a local wine retailer whose palate has delightfully skewed straight in our/your direction.

This would be so excellent, since as Jenise explained to me, anything that is in the distribution system in Washington is obtainable by any retailer there. Since Stuart and I are now headquartered in a non-shipping state, yet close to Washington, this would be a fabulous thing!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Steve, have you ever tried to get it distributed into Oklahoma? I'd love to see it here in Tulsa.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Mr. Edmunds,

Would you be able to distribute down here in Cuba? Probably less red tape than some parts of the U.S.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Still not in NJ :( , and we can't order wine from wineries in this silly state.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:11 pm

I finally found the Syrah here in Center City Philadelphia late this summer. I took it up to NY state and shared it with friends - it was a pleasure!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Seems like you have been away Paulo? What is new in your musical world I wonder.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:51 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Seems like you have been away Paulo? What is new in your musical world I wonder.

Hey, Bob! Just busy and have not been posting much. Making an effort here! Hope all is well with you. Just got done doing Berlioz' Romeo and Juliet with Duitoit (who is a jerk!) and getting ready to do scenes from Meistersinger with Rafael de Burgos... Maybe I'll see you in chat!

Warm regards,
PLO
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Still not in NJ :( , and we can't order wine from wineries in this silly state.

Our NY distributor also sells in NJ; tell your favorite wineshop to contact David Bowler Wine.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Maria,
I know the Rocks and Gravel is at WineLibrary (Springfield) at a very good price.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Apparently, Richard at Taylor's realizes the historic nature of this event. He put the Rocks and Gravel on this month's list of "Dick's Picks". He calls it "...a seamless blend of G-S-M that's endowed with rich fruit, delicious, spicy flavors and excellent balance......In a wine category full of overpriced/overhyped bottlings, Rocks and Gravel is a great effort and a great value, too."

As I said, this guy has really improved their wine program.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:41 pm

WOO HOO...thanks Steve and Dale!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwwww, Mike....

by TomHill » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:03 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Yesterday, I was in the small grocery store just around the corner from my house. I was looking over the wine selection which has lately been greatly improved when it seemed as though a single label jumped off the shelf and straight into my eyes. It was the 2005 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel!! Right there! In Sacramento!!! This was a moment to savor, for despite our proximity to Berkeley we have never had any distribution of ESJ wines in our area. (Some of you might want to chime in here to remind me that I am a lazy-ass poor excuse for a wino for not ordering it like the rest of the world, but I'm just not much for doing so. I like buying wine in shops where I can spend time looking at the stuff.) Of course, I immediately grabbed a bottle and walked over to their wine guy to inform him that he needed a LOT more of this in the store. He told me that those bottles had just been put on the shelf a few hours prior and that they came via a new distributor who also had plenty of Spanish and Italian wines in their book. Great, fine, yadda yadda yadda. I didn't need to hear more. I'll be going back to buy more tomorrow.
Happy times!

It's only because of that slick/photogenic/handsome crack marketing guy behind the label and his huge marketing department did you finally get EdStJ there in Sac. Alas, the wines are not in NewMexico but the LosAlamos crowd seems to consume their fair share.
The R&G is a deceptive wine. It is often not very impresive when it's first released and seems a bit simple. But then, a few yrs down the road, it slaps you upside the head and announces "I've arrived" and has turned into this wonderful red. So, even though they are pretty drinkable now....put some aside for 2-5 yrs down the road. You'll be surprised and utter that ol' EdStJohn lament..."I shoulda bought more".
I think Steve is working on a new release newsletter. But as he notes...paperwork is not his strong suite.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:22 pm

It's in the Art Department, currently. Boy those guys are slow...
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks for the info, Tom! After greedily slurping down the first bottle I bought, it seemed to me that the wine would benefit from a little extra bottle time so I went over and picked up several more bottles. Might get more just to avoid that "shoulda bought more" syndrome.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks guys...I took my first ever trip to Wine Library (don't know why I haven't been there before, it's only 15 min away). I picked up several bottles of the ESJ R&G. I am so stinkin' excited. Is there any way to convince Gary V. to carry other ESJ's? I will also talk to my local wine places and see if I can't get some there as well. Wine Library is too dangerous to go every week!