The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Finger Lakes vs. Germany - Keep on Trocken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Finger Lakes vs. Germany - Keep on Trocken

by Hoke » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You know, everyone seems to have an opinion on what should have been poured. What's even better is the wide range of opinions. Guess what - a decision was made & the wines were poured.

Just so, David.

Nothing stopping anyone from arranging their very own version of a tasting and reporting on it, right?

Then they can pick out exactly the wines that should have been picked out. :D

And then we can pick the list apart. :twisted:

Hoke
(As he laboriously got up from his recliner and began to clean up the debris resulting from having to quarterback most of the NFL teams via tv this past week. It's exhausting work.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:47 pm

Hoke wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:You know, everyone seems to have an opinion on what should have been poured. What's even better is the wide range of opinions. Guess what - a decision was made & the wines were poured.

Just so, David.

Nothing stopping anyone from arranging their very own version of a tasting and reporting on it, right?

Then they can pick out exactly the wines that should have been picked out. :D

And then we can pick the list apart. :twisted:

Hoke
(As he laboriously got up from his recliner and began to clean up the debris resulting from having to quarterback most of the NFL teams via tv this past week. It's exhausting work.)

Put their money where their keyboards are? Hoke, are you serious? :wink:

Excuse me, but I have to go put the pedal extenders in the car so I don't have to sit up front to drive.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:53 pm

There's hasn't been much about which German wines should have been poured. It's been Finger Lakes.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Really interesting thread!! I really enjoyed reading this one. Great writing folks!

Was planning to put together a similar event for a bunch of friends (a lot less formal of course but still blind) and we also use the occasion insert two of the same bottle approach.

Not much comment about the Canadian insertion. It would have been good to insert a few Rieslings from other producers like 30 Bench, Hidden Bench, Cave Spring, Konzelmann, etc that would have been perhaps a more specific look for the area (split between the bench and the peninsula.).

Thomas, thanks for the insights, always interested reading your stuff.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:There's hasn't been much about which German wines should have been poured. It's been Finger Lakes.

True - but if you combine the eBob version of this thread with the one here we needed to pour about 17 Finger Lakes wines.

Oh, and I should not have provided the Donnhoff as that wasn't fair. :roll:
no avatar
User

Joe Cz

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:46 am

Monroe, NY

by Joe Cz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Well, I don't know about what's fair or not. I was surprised that some FL wines I would have high expectations for weren't included, but with only six representatives, it must have been very hard to decide which to include. Some other producers I would recommend based on past experience: Heron Hill Ingle Vineyard, Dr. Frank, Red Newt. On the other hand, David could definitely have gone for bigger guns on the German side. Having visited the Pfalz earlier this year, it would be easy to pick six 2007s from there that would have mopped the floor against virtually any opposition but that would have had pricetags in the $50-60 range--maybe not exactly a fair fight.
Joe Czerwinski
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:04 pm

At one offline in the Finger Lakes I was impressed with the Fox Run Lemburger. Did you try that David when you visited the winery?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:45 pm

JC (NC) wrote:At one offline in the Finger Lakes I was impressed with the Fox Run Lemburger. Did you try that David when you visited the winery?

They had the Lemberger available, but I did not taste it. I only tasted one red (wanted to concentrate on Riesling for obvious reasons) & it was the Cab Franc which I liked.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:They had the Lemberger available, but I did not taste it. I only tasted one red (wanted to concentrate on Riesling for obvious reasons) & it was the Cab Franc which I liked.

They have a hard time keeping the Lemberber in stock; there must be a short supply. Last time we were there they were out! We like both it and the Cab Franc.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:00 pm

For those who might be interested, there was a short article about the tasting posted here.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:58 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:For those who might be interested, there was a short article about the tasting posted here.

Thanks for link.
I'm glad to see FL Riesling getting some attention.
But have to say that article is peculiar. They picture the Prejean and the Wiemer and say they each "earned a 90 in the tasting."
Do they mean "at least one taster rated 90?" Do they mean the average? Well, let's see, David rated the Prejean 65 and 74, Salil 76. - I guess you guys were the voters Thomas threw out because he didn't like scores, or else all of the others rated 94+.
Personally, if one is going to make a point based on scores on a panel tasting, I'd like to see them all. As noted before, these days simple to post a Google Doc spreadsheet with tasters (by number, not name) in rows and wine in column.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:16 pm

At least one taster rater each with a 90 or higher score. Indeed the "results" were reported to cast the "home team" in the most favorable light possible.
Previous