The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Trius Merlot 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Trius Merlot 2007

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Andres Wines
Niagara Peninsula

Medium-dark red in the glass.

Nothing on the nose at first, later revealing light cherry and smoke.

Tangy, rather light bodied and thin/hollow, strawberry, cherry and raspberry, bright, creamy-viscous, lots of spice, floral, a light bitter streak, red licorice.

With time, the wine becaem a bit harsh and rough.

Drying and lightly bitter on the finish.,

A disappointing wine from a good vintage in Ontario.

Purchased at $14.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Trius Merlot 2007

by Paul B. » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:01 am

Oh boy ... "Andres" doesn't have the greatest ring to it ... they have made lots of jug wines of no particular distinction in Ontario for a long time ... :shock:

And the note pretty much summarizes why I'm not a fan of everyone and their cousin piggybacking incessantly on the Bordeaux paradigm. More Ontario wineries should grow Zweigelt - it actually works, and it's good!! :)
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 am

Your comments on Andres are correct Paul but, just for clarification, the line of Trius wines are made by Hillebrand, which is owned by Andres. I was frankly surprised to see the Andres name on the bottle, instead of Hillebrand, since most Ontarians still turn up their noses when they see the name.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:15 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:Your comments on Andres are correct Paul but, just for clarification, the line of Trius wines are made by Hillebrand, which is owned by Andres. I was frankly surprised to see the Andres name on the bottle, instead of Hillebrand, since most Ontarians still turn up their noses when they see the name.
Do they still make "Spumante Bambino"? :roll:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:23 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Bruce Hayes wrote:Your comments on Andres are correct Paul but, just for clarification, the line of Trius wines are made by Hillebrand, which is owned by Andres. I was frankly surprised to see the Andres name on the bottle, instead of Hillebrand, since most Ontarians still turn up their noses when they see the name.
Do they still make "Spumante Bambino"? :roll:

Sort of. Spumante Bambino is still available in Ontario, but is made by Brights, which is owned by Cartier Wines and Beverages.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 am

You know, Bruce, I'd say they made quite a mistake in not keeping the Hillebrand name - a name that I always associated with quality. Andre's just has such a "bad old days" ring to it, that if I weren't already familiar with the Trius brand, I would have passed the wine over just going on what I always knew Andre's to produce.

Damn globalization! :twisted:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca