The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 mid-Italian cheapies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 mid-Italian cheapies

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06 am

Yesterday I had a speech at St John's U in Queens, Betsy had a chamber rehearsal in Brooklyn. We contemplated meeting for dinner, but decided it was too scary trafficwise. So we resolved to share pizza at home. I got back first, and while waiting for her to give me the 30 minute warning, opened the 2006 Falesco Vitiano (Umbria). I had not had this wine in several vintages, but remembered it as a dependable workhorse, and took a chance at a $7 sale at Zachys (2006 is supposed to be very good in Tuscany, and Umbria is close). Well, even at $7 not a deal. A Concord grapiness, soft and rather empty texture, low acids, short. C/C+

After half a glass of the Falesco I decided I didn't want to linger on that, so went for another cheapie ($5 on sale), the 2005 Viticcio Chianti Classico.Not great, but substantially better than the Falesco. Ripe black cherries, lower acids for a Chianti but not flabby, a little vanilla. Not very long or deep, but acceptable pizza wine. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: 2 mid-Italian cheapies

by Mark S » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Dale Williams wrote:...and while waiting for her to give me the 30 minute warning, opened the 2006 Falesco Vitiano (Umbria).

?

Is this something designed to purge bottles of TCA or brett? Perhaps a dogbone buried in the backyard could work as well?

7-bucks. Sometimes a 'deal' is no deal at all.