The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: 06 Chignard Fleurie and 03 Dei Sancta Catharina

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: 06 Chignard Fleurie and 03 Dei Sancta Catharina

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:22 am

2006 Domaine Chignard Fleurie Les Moriers 12.5%
Delicate and attractive nose showing sweet cherry (fresh, not compote!) with a hint of sous-bois and funk. First taste, before food, is surprisingly tart, overwhelming the sweetness and the fruit aromatics. With food, the tartness recedes, but the wine remains quite tangy. I think excessive acidity is responsible, as if this was Italian, designed to tackle tomato sauce. Beneath the tartness, there is elegant fruit, but I find the imbalance off-putting. Would be very curious to get others’ impressions of this wine in this vintage, as I know it did well in 2005. On the second night, the tartness is diminished, but the fresh cherry has become somewhat candied.

2003 Dei Sancta Catharina Toscana 13.0%
And now for something completely different. An unusual super Tuscan blend of Prugnolo, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot, from a hot year. Powerful and extremely aromatic, with blackberry, sandalwood, cocoa and vanilla. Extremely tannic, very good acidity (despite the vintage), at this point more acid than sweet. With food and aeration, the tannins recede and the sweetness comes out. Highly extracted but not alcoholic, somewhat hard at this point, but might become quite tasty in two or three years. Still quite tannic on night two. The question here is will the fruit last long enough to be sufficiently around when the tannins become integrated.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTNs: 06 Chignard Fleurie and 03 Dei Sancta Catharina

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:43 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2006 Domaine Chignard Fleurie Les Moriers 12.5% the second night, the tartness is diminished, but the fresh cherry has become somewhat candied..

I hear about others leaving their Beaujolais open for two days to find 'improvement' but this is the common result that I get.