The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Jancis R.. meets Gary V...; not soul mates!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Jancis R.. meets Gary V...; not soul mates!

by Tim York » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:07 am

Jancis Robinson devoted her last Saturday's Financial Times article to Gary Vaynerchuk http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/752277bc-b1da ... fd18c.html .

Clearly Robinson is not instinctively enamoured by the brashness of Gary's self-branding approach but she does concede that there is a positive side to it.

Personally, although initially put off by Gary's style, I have come to really appreciate the serious core of his wine criticism and his remarkable talent for describing wine. If his style helps him to connect with an audience of many tens of thousands, the more power to him because he is on the side of the angels. Thanks to him, many people have the chance of being weaned away from oak bombs and up-front fruity blockbusters towards more rewardingly subtle and characterful products.
Tim York
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Re: Jancis R.. meets Gary V...; not soul mates!

by AlexR » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:41 am

Ah, the great divide of two peoples divided by a common language...

On both sides, we are surprised when the other isn't more like us.

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:10 am

I have never watched even a clip of one of Gary Vaynerchuk's programs, and quite frankly I have no intention of doing so, and am not even curious.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 am

Tim York wrote:... I have come to really appreciate the serious core of his wine criticism and his remarkable talent for describing wine. If his style helps him to connect with an audience of many tens of thousands, the more power to him because he is on the side of the angels. Thanks to him, many people have the chance of being weaned away from oak bombs and up-front fruity blockbusters towards more rewardingly subtle and characterful products.

Well said, Tim. Frankly, the wine industry ought to be as grateful to Gary as it is to Parker - he leads a crowd of similar size, and he has succeeded where all others have failed in bringing serious wine to the younger adult generation. (Disclaimer: WineLibrary and WineLibraryTV are major sponsors of WineLoversPage.com ... but I accepted them because I could see past Gary's idiosyncratic style to recognize what he's doing.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 pm

I watched this eagerly as a huge Jancis fan. It seemed to me that she quite enjoyed and even appreciated Gary V. (If you read her Financial Times article last Sunday about this, it's pretty interesting to hear all she had to go through to just connect up with him. He is surrounding by a barrier of folks and pr.) And I have to say that, in every other episode of his that I have watched, he was just too over the top for me. The sober, quiet approach is more my style. But he seemed to calm down just a touch with Jancis, while staying true to his exuberence, and for the first time, I was able to appreciate what he brings to tasting a wine. Not a fan now, but do have the feeling I could at least watch a little more of him now since something clicked about his style and intent. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Every time I see Gary V I feel like I am watching Mad Money (a show I cannot stand).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:05 pm

Frankly, I am more a fan of Gary's shelf talkers than his "Thunder Show." Maybe it's the fact that I prefer the printed word to the image (the medium is the message, after all) but I get the message much more easily from what he writes.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:06 pm

I just find it ironic that the PR folks are the ones bringing Vaynerchuk bad press . . . not exactly what they're getting paid for, is it?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Too bad someone that is obviously so dedicated to wine is also so obviously such a giant wanker, from the personal style point of view.

Never have the words "Shut the F*** UP!" come so readily to mind.... annoying little git.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:47 pm

He probably took note of the comments posted under his previous interview with Randal Grahm which were telling to stop interupting and let the guest speak.

Indeed I posted on those lines myself Iwas so irritated with him not letting Grahm say anything
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well said, Tim. Frankly, the wine industry ought to be as grateful to Gary as it is to Parker - he leads a crowd of similar size,

Frankly, that's preposterous. Different media, but any hint that Gary V has a similar following to Parker is ridiculous, Hate him or love him (or somewhere in between), a rave from Parker is guaranteed to start a stampede on a lot of wine stores worldwide. A rave from Gary might- or might not- cause Winelibrary to sell out. I know dozens of people who eagerly await their WA. I know one person who watched WLTV for more than a couple episodes. I'd be very curious where that 90,000 viewers figure came from
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:53 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'd be very curious where that 90,000 viewers figure came from

Gary bought his mom a computer for Christmas last year.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:12 pm

I'll admit that when I first encountered Vaynerchuck on his video appearances, he turned me off completely. Until one day the penny fell.......Gary is not talkng to people like us. Gary is in fact talking to a generation that largely perceives "people like us" as somewhat "scary". People like us may use and even rely on the internet but we were not born into it. We still read books, still realize that every subject has its language and that without language you cannot discuss that subject intelligently. The generation to which Gary speaks is one that wants a short, hedonistic and ideally somewhat hectic (perhaps even schizoiphrenic) interpretation of life. This is a generation that does not write letters but sends SMS's. That wants everything in short bursts.

And once the penny fell, I realized that Gary was succeeding in reaching those people, a huge market for wine and for developing wine lovers. And that is just fine.

The good news is that one day in the not too distant future the people in the generation that now adore Gary will be just like us. The better news is that because of this early education they may actually avoid the too-often phoniness and snobbery that is found in the wine world.

And then, of course, the children of that generation will have to find their own Gary Vaynerchuck. No fear - one will come along. As for me, in my outdated jargon, best I can say to Gary is "keep on truckin'"

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Well said, Tim. Frankly, the wine industry ought to be as grateful to Gary as it is to Parker - he leads a crowd of similar size,

Frankly, that's preposterous. Different media, but any hint that Gary V has a similar following to Parker is ridiculous, Hate him or love him (or somewhere in between), a rave from Parker is guaranteed to start a stampede on a lot of wine stores worldwide. A rave from Gary might- or might not- cause Winelibrary to sell out. I know dozens of people who eagerly await their WA. I know one person who watched WLTV for more than a couple episodes. I'd be very curious where that 90,000 viewers figure came from

Totally different audiences, Dale, and no, Gary's audience isn't going to go running out to buy trophy wines. You're somewhat misreading what I said, though, by taking a portion out of context. I said Gary has a large following (I don't know about numbers, or about that 90,000, but Parker's paid circulation remains in the same 40,000 range it has been in for years. His true readership is much larger of course, but it's mostly pass-along on the Internet and shelf talkers.

Again, though, the Vayniacs are a completely different demographic. You don't know many of them and neither do I. They're not in our generation, they don't read the wine critics, and they don't hang out on wine-geek forums. But ... at the risk of repetition ... Gary has done an amazing job of bringing them into fine wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:58 pm

Robin,

There's an awful lot of young folks on eBob, and also do not forget Parker's on-line base. He has plenty of on-line subscribers & those people are willing to pay to hear him. I'm with Dale.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Robin,

Much as I prefer Gary's taste (in wine) to RMP's, the latter's influence is undoubtedly greater on a worldwide basis. Even In the supermarkets here, we can buy a translation of the French wine section of Wine Buyer's Guide and, until his bust up with his translator, WA was available in a French language edition. All over Europe, there are wine shops quoting Parker points, and even TNs, with their offers. Outside Europe, Australasia and the USA, where there is serious local competition, I guess that RMP's views carry far more weight than those of any other critic.

Although there may be a few handfuls of foreign eccentrics like me who appreciate the substance of Gary's message, I don't think that he is exportable, even to the UK. (I did see a French video on TV or net praising the precision of his graphic wine descriptions and style "tailor made for Americans".)
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:40 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I'm with Dale.

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time communicating this. One more time, without regard to Parker's circulation or the fact that some Gen Y people follow him: "the Vayniacs are a completely different demographic. You don't know many of them and neither do I. They're not in our generation, they don't read the wine critics, and they don't hang out on wine-geek forums. But ... at the risk of repetition ... Gary has done an amazing job of bringing them into fine wine."
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Robin,
not to be argumentative, but where is the evidence of this great body of GenYers that follow Gary?

Hey, I like Gary in person. I've shopped at Wine Library for years (need to pick up some of my 2005 Bdx soon). It's a great store. But I've still never seen any evidence of this great following . He got some laughs on Conan,and a couple articles. But I've never heard of a person going into another wine store and ordering a wine because of Gary. While I may be pushing 50, I know a load of 20-something year olds. Some drink wine, some don't. None watch Gary. Actually,more order from Garagiste (the hype kings), than WL. To me, the biggest question if Gary is the Parker of GenY is why if you look on WL's site at the wines he gives big scores to (and in most cases feature in a video), some quite small production wines were reviewed months ago and are still available, both at Wine Library and elsewhere. So where is the evidence of this great following? Maybe they're all under age, but PLAN on buying wine when it's legal? :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:35 pm

Dale Williams wrote:So where is the evidence of this great following? Maybe they're all under age, but PLAN on buying wine when it's legal? :)

Beats me, Dale. If you look at the responses to Gary's shows, it looks to me as if he's building a passion for wine in a lot of young people, many of whom may not live within reach of his shop. If that passion is or is not converting into sales I cannot say, but it still seems pretty obvious to me that this guy is reaching a young audience with wine enthusiasm in some way, and that's been a holy grail for the wine industry for ages.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote: The generation to which Gary speaks is one that wants a short, hedonistic and ideally somewhat hectic (perhaps even schizoiphrenic) interpretation of life. This is a generation that does not write letters but sends SMS's. That wants everything in short bursts.

But will this "hectic" approach to wine lead to a life long love of wine or does it just create the same short term bubble that hit cigars, cult vodkas and flavored martinis? There may be quite a few Vanyiacs out there--just take a peak at the WL forums--but they seem (to me) more interested in the trendiness and the buzz than the wine. Sniffy-sniff and chugging are not a short cut to appreciating wine.

Strip away the snobbery if you must, but leave some decorum.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:13 pm

Bonnie in Holland wrote:And I have to say that, in every other episode of his that I have watched, he was just too over the top for me. The sober, quiet approach is more my style.

Amen, Bonnie. 8)

I also liked Rogov's analysis and think that he has hit the nail right on. However, I would add that even within that young demographic, there will be individuals who will prefer a more sober, you might say "normal" way of approaching and contemplating wine. I'm 36, so I'm younger than many here, yet I don't know whether that puts me into a Gary-fan demographic or not. Still, I'm certainly not a fan of his hectic, crazed style. No doubt the man is sharp and a talented promoter ... but to me, that style is in and of itself antithetical to the sort of pensive contemplation that I experience when I ponder over a wine.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:31 am

It may be partly generational, but it's also stylistic. There is more than one way to enjoy wine and Gary V and his fans have their way.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:30 am

I read Ms. Robinson's articles in the FT. I also watch Gary V's Thunder show. I was incredibly surprised that Jancis Robinson appeared as a guest on Wine Library. But what surprised me even more, was that I did not think they were as opposite as I thought they would be. Ms. Robinson was definitely more casual and friendly than I had envisioned (I have never seen her on TV, only read her articles).

As far as the Thunder Show...I certainly wouldn't call myself a Vayniac, but I do watch Gary's show and think we have similar palates. I respect him as a very shrewd business man...I think he has done incredible things for his family's business. I also watch him, because I like to have as much exposure to different wine media mediums as possible. This is especially important to me, since my main source of wine information is written (internet/books/articles), and like many of you brought up in a previous thread, that really puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to pronunciation of wines/regions. For this reason, I seek out as much audio media regarding wine as possible (shows like "In Wine Country" and the "Thunder Show" or "Uncorked").

I was, however, disappointed when Gary V did a show about Italian wines and really botched up the pronunciations. But in general, I think it's helpful for someone like me, who doesn't have a circle of wine knowledgeable friends, to watch a program like the Thunder Show. I am not a Gen Y, but at 35 yrs old, I still feel less exposed to wine than maybe the older generations. The only advantage that I have over some of my friends is that I married an Englishman...it seems that Europeans (even the younger ones) have a much better understanding of wine than Americans. They certainly have more exposure to European wines and I have found that they don't have as much trouble (in general) as younger Americans with pronunciation or knowledge about varieties and regions. So, Gary may not be an International hit, but personally, I find him a helpful source of information regarding wine.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:51 am

Maria Samms wrote:that really puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to pronunciation of wines/regions. For this reason, I seek out as much audio media regarding wine as possible (shows like "In Wine Country" and the "Thunder Show" or "Uncorked").

I was, however, disappointed when Gary V did a show about Italian wines and really botched up the pronunciations.

Maria, don't copy Gary's pronunciation of French names. It is truly horrible.
Tim York
Next