The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Jancis R.. meets Gary V...; not soul mates!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Jancis R.. meets Gary V...; not soul mates!

by Sam Platt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:35 pm

I've never listened to a wine critic that I couldn't learn something from. Rather it's Parker, Gary V, Florida Jim, or David Bueker, I always pick up something new. I do enjoy Gary's show, but sometimes I think that he takes the showmanship element a bit too far. His discriptions sometimes seem forced; "eating cotton candy in a car stuck in traffic behind a garbage truck", or something similar. He's at his best when he's thoughful and unforced. I could see the image and hype overtaking the content if he is not careful. He needs a new spit bucket that has "It's about the wine!" written on it.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Jancis R.. meets Gary V...; not soul mates!

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Sam Platt wrote:His discriptions sometimes seem forced; "eating cotton candy in a car stuck in traffic behind a garbage truck", or something similar..

I agree. For someone trying to popularize wine, these types of comments can alienate people who are not very descriptive. In one sense it is open because it doesn't rely on technical evaluations and allows people to free associate. But then it just sets up another hierarchy of people who are sensitive and able to evoke long descriptions and those who can't.

I guess the wine populists just can't win!
Previous