The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Henry of Pelham Gamay 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Henry of Pelham Gamay 2007

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Niagara Peninsula.

Medium dark cherry red in the glass.

Whoa...nose of poop. Not barnyard. Not earthy. Poop. Actually, it's probably just sulphur, but it's dificult to actually drink a wine that smells like a cesspool.

Tart, tangy and drying, cherry and raspberry fruit, medium weight, smooth in the mouth, red licorice, lots of spices, quite tart-tangy and drying toward the finish. Pretty simple and one dimensional.

A tart, drying finish.

Due to the sulphur on the nose and the incredibly high degree of acididity, an unacceptable wine, from a producer that, until today, I had admired and had great respect for. Avoid at all cost.

Purchased at $14.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Henry of Pelham Gamay 2007

by Paul B. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Bruce,

Many thanks for the note and the poignant warning. I don't buy Henry of Pelham's Gamay because I don't think that the grape produces particularly interesting wines in our terroir, by and large. For a supposedly cool-climate variety, I have found most varietal Gamays from around here to be lacking in anything of interest - certainly they are uniformly less interesting than Baco Noir and most definitely less so than Foch.

That said ... was this off-odour possibly mercaptan-induced?
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

by Norm N » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:46 pm

Paul B. wrote:Bruce,

Many thanks for the note and the poignant warning. I don't buy Henry of Pelham's Gamay because I don't think that the grape produces particularly interesting wines in our terroir, by and large. For a supposedly cool-climate variety, I have found most varietal Gamays from around here to be lacking in anything of interest - certainly they are uniformly less interesting than Baco Noir and most definitely less so than Foch.

Hi Paul
I"m not much of a Gamay fan myself in general, perhaps because we don't seem to have access to that many really fine Beaujolais here in Ontario. Niagara wineries generally do a half-assed job treating it as a bit of an after-thought. However, I have enjoyed 13th Street's Gamay in the past, and more recently Malivoire's Courtney Gamay really impressed me (an '06, which made it all the more impressive). Chateau des Charmes is supposed to be doing a fine Gamay Droit (their own clone)...the '07 should be available soon if not already, but I have not tried it.

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:29 pm

I had the Stratus Gamay a few years ago and it was superb. However, it was also the most expensive Gamay I've ever had at $36. I bought it during NiagaraCOOL 2005.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:39 am

Howie Hart wrote:I had the Stratus Gamay a few years ago and it was superb. However, it was also the most expensive Gamay I've ever had at $36. I bought it during NiagaraCOOL 2005.

Yeah, you're a braver man than I, Howie. I don't think I could have brought myself to buy it at that price, not knowing what to expect.

As I remember, the wines at Stratus were certainly intense (especially the Stratus White blend, which I gave kudos to for its creative uniqueness), but they were really expensive. I bought the Riesling icewine and only liked it so-so because of the highish alcohol.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:44 am

Norm N wrote:Chateau des Charmes is supposed to be doing a fine Gamay Droit (their own clone)...the '07 should be available soon if not already, but I have not tried it.

Norm,

Yes, it's a wonderful wine - I was turned on the moment I tried it. However, it's a wholly different clone of Gamay. I find it makes a much darker, Syrah-like, peppery wine with much character to recommend it; regular Gamay from around here tends to not have much character at all.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Just about to decant the `06 Baco Noir! Stay tuned.