The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: How bad food masked the faults of this Loire CabFranc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: How bad food masked the faults of this Loire CabFranc

by Tim York » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:50 am

Bourgueil “Racines” 2004 – Frédéric Mabileau – Alc. 12.5%

This Alsatian choucroute prepared by a usually reliable butcher was so salty and sharp that I wondered whether he had not inadvertently doubled the dose of salt and used vinegar instead of Riesling to marinate the cabbage.

I am thankful that I did not waste a good Riesling on it. At the time I was half congratulating myself on choosing the above although I did remark to Germaine that it would only please a hardened Loire CabFranc lover.

However when we substituted cheddar for the uneatable choucroute, it was revealed that the salty mess had by contrast sweetened the wine’s fruit, rounded out its body and blunted its sharp edges. Here is the TN with the cheddar.
C: Quite deep and dark
N: Fresh and sharp with minerals
P: Undernourished sharp tasting red fruit with strong acidity and minerals, little “gras” and a raw finish with drying tannins; 10/20.

I could not understand how I had managed to choose this wine after a tasting in the grower's presence a couple of years ago, so I looked up the estate in the RVF’s Classement des Meilleurs Vins de France 2007 and read this (probably written in the Spring of 2006). “The 2004 reds remain fresh, peppery and well made but their initial fruit is disappearing rather quickly. Proof that this estate can go further in preserving the integrity of its grapes.” This journalist’s insight can be praised!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: How bad food masked the faults of this Loire CabFranc

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:40 am

Not a producer I have read about, Tim. Maybe just as well! (I jest of course)
I love this dish and have reproduced a couple of times. Good German-style grocer in town here with all the trimmings.

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/loire/mabileau.shtml
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: How bad food masked the faults of this Loire CabFranc

by Tim York » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks for that article by Wine Doctor. I note that his positive impression of a 2004 comes from about the same time as I was tasting and liking them with the grower (and no! I wasn't led astray in my judgment by the presence of his spectacular looking wife because she wasn't there). Le Classement's reviews of 2006 and 2007 are much more positive and they congratulate him for "cette juste remise en question".

I recall a conversation with Mabileau about the remark by the former French Prime Minister, Lionel Jospin. "There is no moral and public health difference between wine and cannabis". Perhaps something for a discussion thread?
Tim York