The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN; Pinot, Joseph Swan, Cab, Santa Ynez Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN; Pinot, Joseph Swan, Cab, Santa Ynez Syrah

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:50 pm

Pinot tasting last night at WineStyles. My preferred wine was the 2006 Schug Carneros Pinot Noir, despite some lacking in typicite. This was a darker colored Pinot with quite a roasted coffee character and a lot of savory elements. There was some "pinosity" there, but this is one of those Pinots one could mistake for a Syrah. Still...I liked it. Although not officially a part of the tasting, and very oaky, I was really impressed by the Lynmar Pinot (a special bottling for charity that Beau, one of the owners, brought in. Amazingly smooth and elegant in the mouth, with great Pinosity yet lacking that over the top cherry cola flavor I dislike in California Pinots.

After the Pinot tasting, we tried several different wines. Beau had brought in a 2000 Joseph Swan Mancini Ranch Zinfandel. Bizarre wine. At 16.3% alcohol, this wine is quite fumey and unbalanced on the nose. There is a ton of bright berry fruit, but also some distinctly "porty" notes. Veyr, very bright in character, with a medium body. Most zins with this octane are thick and syrupy-this one reminded me more of a brighter, more alcoholic Sky Zinfandel. Not a group favorite.

2003 Signorello Cabernet Napa Valley. Not my favorite example of this wine, which I've enjoyed more othr times. May be a tired or an off bottle? Mediocre storage? Or...I am just being picky this night? Definitely a lighter style Napa Cab, with some herbaceous and bell pepper notes. some cassis fruit definitely present. Does not show the maturing leather and savory notes I experienced at the winery last summer. I would probably give this an 85 or so...others liked it more.

2006 Three Saints Santa Ynez Syrah. Not a Central Coast fruit bomb at all. This is all about smoke, and meat, and savoryness. Although, others note that this wine is not austere as a good Saint Joseph or Crozes and does have some good berry fruit. No real heat on the nose or palate, this wine appears to be a pretty balanced medium body concoction. At under $20, this is nicely priced as well.
If you like big fruit, look elsewhere. If you like the earth and meat side of Syrah...right here.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach