The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Age hath its merits

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Age hath its merits

by John Treder » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:25 am

I've made Foppiano one of my regular stops in Sonoma County, partly because it's right on my path and partly because they make some pretty good wine. It strikes me the way Seghesio did 20 years ago.
They often sell some library wines, and some of them have tickled my fancy; here's one of them.
Foppiano Estate Bottled Petite Sirah, 1988, Sonoma County. $28.45 in September 2008. 13% alcohol
The cork was soft and wet nearly to the top, but it came out easily and didn't crumble until I touched the inside end. I opened the bottle an hour and a half ahead and made sure it was Ok. The first taste, on opening, had nice color and a pleasant nose after some agitation, but seemed sort of like a collection of pieces rather than a complete wine. Nothing wrong, however, and I've noted that characteristic before with older bottles. The note is composed of my feelings after dinner last night with spaghetti, and tonight with steak. The wine was better with steak; I think the tomato in the spaghetti sauce wanted a wine with more brashness.
Totally dark and opaque purple. Somewhat reticent nose. Lots of primary fruit and brambles, some black pepper, just a taste of tannin and just a taste of acidity. Very very well balanced. Medium long. Some secondary notes, dusty, slow to show its real strengths. A delightful dowager, ready to drink.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Age hath its merits

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:57 am

So pray tell, what is going on there these days! No press news anywhere.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:29 pm

Pretty much like much of Sonoma County - in September, everyone was worried about the harvest, which started early because of the dry spring and summer. Foppiano has been bottling some PN the last few years, but PN and Italian-style wine making don't seem to fit all that well.
BTW, the latest Joseph Swan newsletter is available on http://www.swanwinery.com/. Rod has an interesting essay about this year's growing season.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks, wondered if they were still around!
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:48 am

John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:35 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:I've made Foppiano one of my regular stops in Sonoma County, partly because it's right on my path and partly because they make some pretty good wine. It strikes me the way Seghesio did 20 years ago.
They often sell some library wines, and some of them have tickled my fancy; here's one of them.
Foppiano Estate Bottled Petite Sirah, 1988, Sonoma County. $28.45 in September 2008. 13% alcohol

I've always liked Foppiano as well, but have never been there. They always seemed to make good, workingclass wines for the populace, not for the high-minded set. Can't belive they still have some of the 88! One of the best Petite Sirah's I had from them was the 1991 reserve or some designation from a vineyard that that was the last year of it before it became either developed or otherwise dug-up.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Looking at my list, it seems they usually have a sale of library wines in the fall - probably to clear space for the new vintage. I bought a bottle of '94 Petite Sirah at the same time I bought the '88, and two years I bought their last two bottles 8) of '86. The '86 turned out to be memorable bottles - among the best of any wine I've ever tasted.

John
John in the wine county