The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Value - It's not a focus it's a way of life!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wine Value - It's not a focus it's a way of life!

by Jenise » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:44 am

Grape Expectations, David.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Bastianich Friulano

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:31 pm

2011 Bastianich Adriatico Friulano. Fresh fruit on the nose, nice mouth feel and a pleasing taste of dry almonds. The 2009 got favorable reviews here from Tom Hill, Michael Malinoski and me. I liked this one even better. $13.50 w. case discount.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Bastianich Friulano

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:2011 Bastianich Adriatico Friulano. Fresh fruit on the nose, nice mouth feel and a pleasing taste of dry almonds. The 2009 got favorable reviews here from Tom Hill, Michael Malinoski and me. I liked this one even better. $13.50 w. case discount.

Dan,who is the importer of this wine? It sure sounds like one I would like.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Bastianich self-imports, possibly under the name Italian Wine Merchants. He's partners with Mario Batali, and you may have seen his mom's cooking show (Lidia Bastianich).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

Bastianich Friulano!

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 pm

The back label says it's imported by Dark Star Imports, NY.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Bastianich Friulano!

by Jenise » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:The back label says it's imported by Dark Star Imports, NY.

Ha! See what I know.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:51 pm

2011 KELLER RIESLING TROCKEN, RHEINHESSEN, GERMANY. 12% abv. CellarTracker shows the average price at close to $26 but I paid $17.95 from Woodland Hills Wine Company. (It is now listed at $31 or $37 at other USA stores but I consider it a bargain at under $20.) Straw color with clarity. Spritzig (bubbly) at first. Lemon-lime notes on nose and palate. Bright and inviting. The minerality is expressed as rocks or stones. This is a compelling wine suitable for pairing with fish or some dishes where you want an acidic wine to cut through the richness of a creamy sauce. I believe this was my first wine from Keller.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Nice one JC, do not see that many Rheinhessen up here but will check with some valuable sources.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:24 pm

2006 Domaine de la Garrigue Cuvée Romaine was also really fine last night. No trace of VA or other faults apart from a fairly typical Brett profile. Fairly full-bodied, with a dark berry fruit profile and a meaty, gamey overlay. Very good CdR for which I probably paid $11-12 a few years ago.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:46 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:2006 Domaine de la Garrigue Cuvée Romaine was also really fine last night. No trace of VA or other faults apart from a fairly typical Brett profile. Fairly full-bodied, with a dark berry fruit profile and a meaty, gamey overlay. Very good CdR for which I probably paid $11-12 a few years ago.

Mark Lipton

Cool. As I mentioned above, the 2011 was quite delicious the other night.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Bastianich Friulano!

by Bob Henrick » Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:The back label says it's imported by Dark Star Imports, NY.

Dan,

I emailed Dark Star and was replied the "We don't sell this wine In KY". This response in spite of the fact I told them where I live and I am only about 75 miles from Ohio. So, the obvious question is ?do you sell it in Ohio"?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Mon May 05, 2014 6:00 am

There's an old saying that for New Yorkers anything west of the Hudson is "upstate". Whoever responded from Black Star seems to have taken the saying to a new level.
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Mon May 05, 2014 7:06 pm

2009 Muga Rioja Reserva $21.95 (Vintage Wines, San Diego). Consistently one of my favorites.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 09, 2014 8:09 am

Linking to a great value that I posted a note on in the body of the forum:

2012 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese

Importer: Terry Theise Selections & Michael Skurnik Wines
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu May 22, 2014 7:30 am

The Masi 2011 Campofiorin ($18.95) might be one of the best values in a Ripasso to come along in quite some time. The ’11 is still quite young but with vibrant fruit: plum and spice but there’s suite a bit of punch from the tannins; that all said, it is also very drinkable. Touches of chocolate, black cherry and mocha .My fellow drinkers enjoyed the sheer elegance. It’s also a wine that punches well above its price point, and definitely tastes that way – it is a wine you could easily put aside for a while and to find that kind of wine for under $20… that’s big plus and a bargain imo.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu May 22, 2014 3:46 pm

This wine was my last bottle of what must be one of my very best QPR purchases. IIRC it cost about £8 (currently c.$12) in the late 90s and IMO it punches at about the same weight as a lesser Bordeaux GCC or upper cru bourgeois costing even then 3-4 times the prices. I have little to add or subtract from this TN from some 2 years ago except to note that this bottle has sailed unscathed through a house move and some rough handling during the last week when being placed in my new wine fridges.

Vin de Pays des Cevennes 1995 – Domaine de Baruel, Reiner Pfefferkorn – Alc.13%, a Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah blend. Opening this bottle makes me feel nostalgic about La Vigneronne in Kensington in the days of Liz and Mike Berry. It was one of their discoveries. My previous bottle had veered in a lean and mean direction but this one was back to form.
Colour was still very youthful with some purple tints. The nose showed dark fruit with a lot of damson and minerals and a touch of violet. The palate was full bodied, savoury, austerely expressive and surprisingly youthful with lively acidity
lightly tinged with varnish, dark plum fruit, good complexity, depth and roundness in mid-palate and still firm tannic structure supporting the finish. I used to think of this cuvée as a good ringer for Trévallon but it has got increasingly Bordelais with time and I could no longer detect much Syrah influence; 16.5/20++.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Gruet Demi-Sec NV

by Sam Platt » Fri May 23, 2014 9:11 am

Gruet Demi-Sec NV

My wife found this bottle hidden behind a bunch of clutter in the cellar. Though I have no recollection of buying it the original price was marked as $11.99 and a “20% off” cut-out bin sticker had been applied to the bottle. Apparently I bought it for about $10 several years ago and promptly forgot about it. We chilled it along with another sparkler in anticipation of dumping this old Gruet down the drain.

Color: Deep bronze yellow - this guy has been around for quite some time. Medium intensity tiny bubbles.

Nose: Lively nose of pear and short bread. Nice sinus burn from the rapid de-gassing.

Taste: Apple and toast notes with a bit of an odd plastic taste mid-palate. Some sweetness, but much less than I had anticipated and not cloying in the least. Extended finish of buttered toast.

Other than the plastic note that my wife didn’t notice this bottle had aged surprisingly well. In the past I have usually used Gruet as fodder for Kir, but we drank this one straight up. The contents were emptied quite quickly between just my wife and I.

Note: The cork was noticeably difficult to extract from this bottle. I struggled with it for a couple of minutes and was about ready to grab a cork screw when it finally came loose. I’m wondering if the tight seal helped significantly in preserving the contents over the years?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Gruet Demi-Sec NV

by Sam Platt » Fri May 23, 2014 11:15 am

Thanks Robin!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Gruet Demi-Sec NV

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2014 11:19 am

Sam Platt wrote:Thanks Robin!

De nada!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Haven't posted on this thread because I don't quite understand the ethics. Why is it OK for a poster to post a wine purchased at a close out price, and not OK for a poster to post on a great value from Trader Joe's?
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Thu May 29, 2014 10:56 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Haven't posted on this thread because I don't quite understand the ethics. Why is it OK for a poster to post a wine purchased at a close out price, and not OK for a poster to post on a great value from Trader Joe's?

It has nothing to do with ethics.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 am

Thomas G wrote:It has nothing to do with ethics.

FYI ethics has to do with what is right and what is wrong, which is what my question dealt with. I can't see why one person can post on a wine that was a close out that nobody could take advantage of, and another poster was forced to move a post on a purchase at Trader Joe's. I can see where a ten or twelve dollar Barolo or Barbaresco at TJs, though may be tasty, would be unfairly compared to better examples of those wines. However a 2011 Tommolo Montepulciano d'Abruzzo at $6.99 can be compared with other Montes that are three or five dollars more, and IMHO is a much better wine that others I have tasted. If a Monte is not an obscure enough grape, that may be true for board participants. Go out on the street and ask ten people what a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is and you won't get many answers. And this is a value that anyone, in this country at any rate, can take advantage of.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:21 am

Cour Cheverny 2011 - Domaine Le Portail - Alc.12.5% made from the white variety Romorantin - (<€10 guess). The appellation is in the Loire valley not far from Orléans.

One of delights of the French wine scene is the number of small appellations using local grape varieties which impart original flavours in well adapted terroirs. This light/medium bodied bone dry white is a case in point. It was aromatic, fresh and lively with a particularly mouth-watering acidity, quite complex white fruit with citrus elements predominating and a hint of fine honey as the long finish faded. The back label claims it can age gracefully but I wouldn't give it the chance as it is so lovely as it is. Very good and QPR!.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:
Thomas G wrote:It has nothing to do with ethics.

FYI ethics has to do with what is right and what is wrong, which is what my question dealt with. I can't see why one person can post on a wine that was a close out that nobody could take advantage of, and another poster was forced to move a post on a purchase at Trader Joe's. I can see where a ten or twelve dollar Barolo or Barbaresco at TJs, though may be tasty, would be unfairly compared to better examples of those wines. However a 2011 Tommolo Montepulciano d'Abruzzo at $6.99 can be compared with other Montes that are three or five dollars more, and IMHO is a much better wine that others I have tasted. If a Monte is not an obscure enough grape, that may be true for board participants. Go out on the street and ask ten people what a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is and you won't get many answers. And this is a value that anyone, in this country at any rate, can take advantage of.

Obviously whoever asked the post to be moved doesn't like Trader Joes and that's it. Please don't attempt to turn it into a moral issue.
PreviousNext