The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Loire, Bojo, Bdx, Sicily, MSR, & more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Loire, Bojo, Bdx, Sicily, MSR, & more

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:17 am

With sockeye, squash, and salad, the 2011 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Fleurie. Lovely, juicy, ripe, and ready; red fruits with a hint of chocolate, some floral notes, long finish. B+/A-

With grilled shrimp, red lentil dal, and slaw, I opened the 2012 Huet “Clos du Bourg” Vouvray sec. The 2012s are controversial, but I liked the Bourg when I tried previously (much better than the LHL), but no controversy here- corked! So I opened the 2001 Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett. Light, well-balanced, Granny Smith and citrus over a stony base. B+

Saturday I made an Asian slaw and headed over to a pool party. Grilled shrimp, steaks, & asparagus; there was potato salad and lots of nibbles. Many wines were sampled:

Whites
2012 Drouhin St Veran
This is an old fave, but haven’t bought in last couple vintages- hey, I’m an idiot. This was an excellent wine for the price- crisp, clean, pure Chardonnay fruit. B+

2011 Mollet “Roc d’Abbaye” Sancerre
A bit grassy, soft for Sancerre, pleasant but not very long. B/B-

2012 Weimer Dry Riesling
There is a little sugar, but good crispness, clean apple flavors. B
2010 Vouvray 'La Forcine' Bonhomme Demi-Sec
Soft acids, slightly off (rot?) flavors, clipped, not a fan. C+/C

Reds (all served chilled)
2011 Bois de la Salle Julienas
(think I got name right, script and lack of reading glasses left me unsure)
Grapey, simple, but clean and straighforward. B-

2010 Vissoux/Chermette “Poncie” Fleurie
Wow, this showed well. Black raspberry, pepper/spice, earth, lovely balance, nice length. Damn, I think this was my only bottle. B+/A-

2009 Rolet “ Tradition” Arbois
Crispy/crunchy red fruits, earth, a little funk. Higher acids, interesting. B

2012 Konstantin Franck Lemberger
Juicy, fruity, easy, nice fun wine from a grape you don’t see in US (same as Blaufrankisch. right?) B/B-

Some friends came over Sunday night after the championship game, but we didn’t have any German wines. We started with the 2010 Raventos i Blanc de Nit . OK, when I think pink Cava I can’t say graceful and elegant are first things to come to mind, but they come to my mind. Light, fresh, cherries with roses and citrus, very tasty. B+

First course was a caprese salad, accompanied by lemon cucumbers tossed in garlic scape pesto, in honor of Bruce Palling I opened the 2012 Texier “Anahi- L’Indigene Sulfureux” Don’t quite get name, but it does say sans soufre and biodynamic. Not sure why I got this- not a real white Rhone guy nor a natural wines seeker though I do like Texier- but I’m glad I did. Sweet white pit fruits and orange pippin apple, balanced acids, stony finish. Not supercomplex, but quite tasty. B/B+

Main was a mixed grill- marinated skirt steak and D’Artagnan chicken sausage with black truffle, plus zucchini and more Asian slaw.

2001 Ch. Barde Haut (St Emilion)
Pretty black plum accented with mocha, clearly modern styled though not extreme. Nice smooth texture, this is a steakhouse style wine. Huge hit with my friends, I could have used just a bit more character and less flash. B

2012 A. Occhipinti SP68
Fresh, bright, black cherries and spice, sappy edge, lively, fun. B+

Last night cauliflower with pimenton and tomato and leftover dal, and leftover Cava and SP68. No wait, it’s Bastille Day. Must have a French wine, what better than the 2013 Pepiere “Clos des Briords” Muscadet? Zesty, fresh, saline, mineral, citrusy. Doesn’t have quite the breadth & fullness of the 2012, but a tasty wine that might help me save some of my 2012s. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Loire, Bojo, Bdx, Sicily, MSR, & more

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:37 am

Lemberger - yes - same as Blaufrankisch. A friend of mine grows it here in Niagara County for his small winery and sells me enough to make a batch every year. His and mine both seems to exhibit a hint of black pepper. Currently, my 26-gallon barrel is full of the 2013 Lemberger. http://longcliffwinery.com/our-wines/
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2012 Huet “Clos du Bourg” Vouvray sec. The 2012s are controversial, but I liked the Bourg when I tried previously (much better than the LHL), but no controversy here- corked!

Any word on whether these are getting better yet? I opened a 2012 LhL Sec in December and wasn't particularly impressed, so I figured I should just hold on to the rest of the bottles. I saw some people suggest drinking them up quickly before they get worse, but I have a hard time believing that kind of logic applies to Huet, even with the 02 premox scares (unless somehow premox is going to strike so close to release).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks Howie.
No Rahsaan, no other data. This is coming up on time Huets normally start to shut down, I only have a couple 2012s will probably just hold and hope
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 am

Dale Williams wrote:This is coming up on time Huets normally start to shut down, I only have a couple 2012s will probably just hold and hope

Yeah, there is probably no other choice.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:This is coming up on time Huets normally start to shut down, I only have a couple 2012s will probably just hold and hope

Yeah, there is probably no other choice.

Although I made a different choice. I figured that with my limited storage (key) there was no need to hold on to two bottles from an iffy vintage. So I opened one 2012 LhL sec and it was corked, which quickly brought me to my last bottle. There was some pleasure with dinner but overall the wine was still sour and short and not the best effort. Will see what the future holds! (But not from my stash)