The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Leitz at Costco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Leitz at Costco

by Charles Weiss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:57 pm

It's a compulsion most of us know. Whenever I'm at Costco I have to check out the wine even though I almost never buy anything. Last weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2012 Dragonstone there (outside of Boston). His Rudesheimer Drachenstein was changed to "Dragonstone" over 10 years ago, as I understand it to allow him to make a wine not limited to vineyard. The plan seems to have worked, both in quantity and successful sales. Good for him, and hopefully for lots of people who might try a German Riesling.

Charles
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Leitz at Costco

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Not quite right Charles. It is still all Drachenstein. It's just a catchy name that sells well. Drachenstein=Dragonstone in English.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:19 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Not quite right Charles. It is still all Drachenstein. It's just a catchy name that sells well. Drachenstein=Dragonstone in English.

I know the translation David.
Thanks for the correction.
I'm pretty sure I recall Terry saying after the name change was made that it was for the purpose of flexibility
I didn't realize the vineyard holding was so big!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

He bought/leased a bunch more of the site. He also uses a leased winemaking facility for the volume of wine which casued some other changes on the label that are in much smaller print.
Decisions are made by those who show up