The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Recent Stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Recent Stuff

by John S » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Here's a few wines I've tried recently. The Rivesaltes was a really interesting and unusual wine, with the Pithon and Pillot also being great wines.

• NV Domaine Forca Real Rivesaltes Hors d'Âge - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Rivesaltes (7/16/2014)
    This bottle hid in the cellar for 6 years. Upon finally being caught, it was a light copper colour. Mainly oxidation on the nose, but there's some nuts, orange and butterscotch as well - quite a funky, unique and attractive nose. There's a little oxidation on the medium bodied palate, but it adds rather than detracts; there's quite a lovely, off dry mix of nuts (walnuts and almonds), orange marmalade, and a lovely smooth, rich texture. Quite sherry-like, this is really quite a unique, fascinating wine. I've never seen another 'hors d'age' wine from Rivesaltes, but if you don't mind oxidation and like unusual wines, give this a try if you ever see it! (A-)
  • 2006 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/16/2014)
    Medium gold in colour. Ripe stonefruit and tropical fruit in the nice nose, like mango and pineapple. A fairly ripe, rich sweet style as per the vintage (almost an auslese style), but not cloying. There's honeyed pineapple, ripe pears, apricots and a nice layered texture and finish on this medium-full bodied wine. The wine is just starting to come together, but will have lots of life left. (A-)
  • 2002 Domaine Jo Pithon Coteaux du Layon Saint-Lambert Les Bonnes Blanches - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon Saint-Lambert (7/10/2014)
    It's a lovely golden/copper colour, with an outstanding botrytis-based nose of orange, honey and stonefruits. There's a nice plush texture on the full bodied, sweet palate, with a nice layering of fruit that others have mentioned: there's orange, honey, lime, mango, apricot, cardamon and cloves. Sorry it's the last bottle! (A-/A)
  • 2005 Paul Pillot Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Le Charmois - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (7/2/2014)
    Found this in the cellar and thought I might have waited too long, but I was happy to be wrong. A beautiful white burgundy ready now, with lots of butterscotch, ripe fruit and integrated oak with a long finish. (A-)
  • 2003 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/30/2014)
    Didn't take notes, but this 2003 had a bit more acidity than usual - not sure if it was added or not, but it was well integrated in any case. Nice mix of citrus and stonefruit, off dry but not too sweet, medium to full bodied, drinking very well now but will last too. (B+/A-)
  • 2006 Tenuta De Angelis Anghelos Marche IGT - Italy, Marche, Marche IGT (6/29/2014)
    Hazy notes from last week. The first night it wasn't showing much at all, but it really improved the second night. It seemed to speak of its place more, showing more concentrated, cordial-like flavours of cherry and raspberry and earthy notes. Could still use more time, I think, and I'd decant before trying now. (B+)
  • 2006 Westrey Pinot Noir Oracle Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (6/25/2014)
    Hazy notes from last night.Popped and poured over an hour. The vintage really showed here. This was far more ripe than I usually associate with the Westrey style. Not really my style, as I thought it was a little awkward and too big for its own good. Not hot, just too ripe, some baked fruit and not enough complexity for me. I'd drink up soon. (B)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN - Recent Stuff

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:24 am

Nice, 2 Mosel that we could all appreciate..if we could have found them :lol: .

BTW..I hear one can find Zilliken in Vancouver?>

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 3#p1504453