The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Parker's point

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Parker's point

by JuliaB » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:14 pm

I learned two surprising things in this article: Parker's current appearance, and the system by which he assigns "points".

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/robert-m-parker-jr-on-rating-wines-his-new-magazine-and-bordeaux-1405594900-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwNzExNDcyWj
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: Parker's point

by Mark S » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:28 pm

"I will drink no wine before its time..."
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks for sharing JB Ya! His getting older and looking more like “Grizzly Adams”

Salute
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwwww....

by TomHill » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:03 am

JuliaB wrote:I learned two surprising things in this article: Parker's current appearance, and the system by which he assigns "points".

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/robert-m-parker-jr-on-rating-wines-his-new-magazine-and-bordeaux-1405594900-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwNzExNDcyWj

Awwwwww...Julia. If one of us guys linked to a KarenMcNeil article and commented how fetching she looked in her new hairdo...all you women-folk around here
would rip us for our sexist comment!!! :-)

It was an interesting article....the GrizzlyAdams look not-withstanding. Thanks for the link.
Tom

Sorry, Julia...just couldn't resist. In epee...we call it "easy target".
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Waaaaaaaaaaait a minute! I just said RP's appearance was "surprising"; no judgement. It was our friend, Victor, who made the "Grizzly Adams" connection. (Although I admit, I thought it). :P

JB
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Awwwww....

by Lou Kessler » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:42 pm

TomHill wrote:
JuliaB wrote:I learned two surprising things in this article: Parker's current appearance, and the system by which he assigns "points".

Awwwwww...Julia. If one of us guys linked to a KarenMcNeil article and commented how fetching she looked in her new hairdo...all you women-folk around here
would rip us for our sexist comment!!! :-)

It was an interesting article....the GrizzlyAdams look not-withstanding. Thanks for the link.
Tom

Sorry, Julia...just couldn't resist. In epee...we call it "easy target".

I was at a 4th of July party that Karen always attends also, and she looked great as she usually does. She was also helping pour a great deal of good wine. If these comments make me a sexist, so be it.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 am

I see Parker claims to be able to reproduce his score to within 2 or 3 points (and I think I have heard that from other people too). But he thinks that is a consistent performance. Now if he worked on a true 100pt, or even 50pt, scale I would agree, but in practice his scale is so compressed that 3pts seems very significant to me.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:10 am

Assume that a wine has a "true" score in the Parker point system of 89. If Parker can evaluate scores with 2-point accuracy, that means that on any given day he might evaluate the wine as low as 87 or as high as 91. And that a score of 88 versus 89 isn't significant. On the other hand, I've heard wine merchants joke that in the marketplace Parker's scoring is a 5-point system. If the score is below 85 you can't sell the wine and no wholesaler will buy it. If the score is 90 or over, you can't obtain the wine and the price is so high hardly anyone can buy it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm really not a raging anti=pointer. But like others I am not comfortable with the false precision. I note he says there are 90 points and then "10 points for how much the wine can improve and where it will go from here." Really? Some of his 100 pt wines include 2 19th century Yquems, various 1945 and earlier Bdx 1sts, 1921 L'Eglse Clinet, couple of 100 yr old Aussie stickies. Those wines get 100 pts with 10 full pts for potential improvement?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Dale,

Perhaps there is some flexibility? I know that would mess with the false precision argument, but it is possible.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

NoNoNo...

by TomHill » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 am

Dale Williams wrote:I'm really not a raging anti=pointer. But like others I am not comfortable with the false precision. I note he says there are 90 points and then "10 points for how much the wine can improve and where it will go from here." Really? Some of his 100 pt wines include 2 19th century Yquems, various 1945 and earlier Bdx 1sts, 1921 L'Eglse Clinet, couple of 100 yr old Aussie stickies. Those wines get 100 pts with 10 full pts for potential improvement?

Dale,
When Parker (or whomever) awards a wine 100pts; it's not a perfect wine (usually) now, but a perfect wine when it reaches its peak.
He predicts it will be perfect (say) 20 yrs down the road..but now it's (probably) only a (say) 96.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:02 am

Taking that system to a notably older wine is absurd, and obviously not intended by Parker, though I am sure yopu get plenty of jollies out of making it sound that way.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Uhhhhh??

by TomHill » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Taking that system to a notably older wine is absurd, and obviously not intended by Parker, though I am sure yopu get plenty of jollies out of making it sound that way.

David,
If you read the descriptions of any of the 100-pt scales, be it Parker/WS/WE/CGCW/etc; they always state the numerical score
reflects the wine's score at its peak, whenever that may be. Has nothing to do w/ my jollies...I'm just parroting what those folks say.
Because these folks who award these scores are professionals and have vastly more experience than mere mortals, they have the talent/ability
to unerringly predict when these wines will peak.
As my 6'th grade teacher, Miss Rickey, used to say: "You can look it up on the InterNet".
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Uhhhhh??

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:03 pm

TomHill wrote:As my 6'th grade teacher, Miss Rickey, used to say: "You can look it up on the InterNet".

My Aunt Achronism used to say the same thing, back in the day!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TomHill wrote:As my 6'th grade teacher, Miss Rickey, used to say: "You can look it up on the InterNet".

My Aunt Minnie used to say be good or the Kaiser will get you. :evil: What the hell do you young whipper snappers know about threats to a mortal being?
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

My Aunt Minnie used to say be good or the Kaiser will get you. :evil: What the hell do you young whipper snappers know about threats to a mortal being?

PS Get the hell off my lawn!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:PS Get the hell off my lawn!

Is someone channeling Alan?

BTW has anyone seen Julia and Parker in the same room?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:15 pm

I received this today from the Wine Curmudgeon blog, and thought his comments appropos here:

http://winecurmudgeon.com/james-garner-on-wine-writing/

R.I.P. James Garner! I always liked the guy.

JuliaB
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Assume that a wine has a "true" score in the Parker point system of 89. If Parker can evaluate scores with 2-point accuracy, that means that on any given day he might evaluate the wine as low as 87 or as high as 91. And that a score of 88 versus 89 isn't significant. On the other hand, I've heard wine merchants joke that in the marketplace Parker's scoring is a 5-point system. If the score is below 85 you can't sell the wine and no wholesaler will buy it. If the score is 90 or over, you can't obtain the wine and the price is so high hardly anyone can buy it.

-Paul W.

Paul,

You're off just a bit but the point is correct. Nobody will buy a wine under 90 and retailers can't get wines rated above 95 (by Parker) so there's a de facto 5 point window.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Hmmm.....

Heading for this, perhaps?

no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:30 pm

I believe Orson advertised one of the inexpensive CA jug wines. Parker has more class than that. :wink:
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:I believe Orson advertised one of the inexpensive CA jug wines.

"We will sell no wine before it's time." - Paul Masson
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Sam Platt wrote:"We will sell no wine before it's time." - Paul Masson

This notorious outtakes tape is classic. Orson or RMP? :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:19 pm

The Mighty Carson Art Players did a skit on the Tonight Show once called "Commercials We'd Like To See". One of the commercials started with Orson Welles (Johnny Carson suitably padded out with pillows) giving his famous line, "At Paul Masson, we will sell no wine before its time." The scene then cut to Carson as a skid row bum, propped against a wall, holding a wine bottle in a paper bag. He intently stared at his watch for a moment, then turns toward the camera, exclaims, "IT'S TIME!!" and starts swilling from the bottle in the paper bag.

-Paul W.
Next