The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A Gift Comes Back

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

A Gift Comes Back

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:48 am

So...I was invited to an acquaintance's house this weekend for an after-ride barbecue. Years ago, he had loaned me a bicycle crank and I had given him a bottle of 2007 Larkmead Napa Valley Cabernet.
He opened the bottle Sunday, and it was quite lovely. In a richer and bigger style than I might normally prefer, but the bottle age had mellowed the wine very nicely....earthy and rich plum and cassis fruit. Delicious. Thanks, Steve!

Sunday, after another bicycle ride, had a glass of tart, funky delicious Copain P2 (Pinot Noire and Gris!). To be honest, I found it more enjoyable than the 15.1% abv Sherwin Family Spring Mountain Cab at 4x the price I also sampled! :shock:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: A Gift Comes Back

by JC (NC) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 pm

Brian, I purchased three bottles of that same Larkmead and have consumed two. I liked it so well that on CellarTracker I gave it a rating of 92 points in 2011 and 93 points in 2013. In 2011 I found red fruits and red licorice and in 2013 more dark fruits and chocolate. Quite approachable and delicious both times. Sounds like you were finding the dark fruits also. I will probably hold my final bottle until 2017 to see what it reveals at the decade mark.