The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: from the past couple of weeks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: from the past couple of weeks

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:03 pm

2005 Domaine de la Janasse Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvée Chaupin - When I first uncorked the bottle, it had a slight mustiness without any fruit or spice, unlike my other bottles of this. I concluded it must be TCA. I checked back on it after about 30 minutes and it was lovely. Gone were the initial flaws, and the fruit and the CdP spice were there in spades. Go figure.

2006 Domaine Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape Mon Aieul[b]- This is what we were drinking to replace what I thought was originally a flawed bottle of Janasse. Well, this one was just too tannic to enjoy, and I hope the fruit can hang in there for the tannins to soften.

1996 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon[b]- Some recent notes here on aged California Cabs motivated me to open one and I chose a winner. As soon as I popped the cork I enjoyed its spicy red berry fragrance. It had sumptuous dark fruit, good intensity, and a smooth velvety texture, with licorice on the end. Drinking superbly.

2007 EMH Black Cat Cabernet Sauvignon[b] - This was ripe with a soft texture and concentrated fruit of dark cherries and chocolate. Balanced with a long finish and enjoyable.

2012 Arnot-Roberts Ribolla Gialla Vare Vineyard[b] - At first, it was served too chilled. As it warmed it up, it became more expressive with saline and rain water. Mineral dominant with hints of apricot, a wine that needs food.

2007 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vielles Vignes[b] - Most 2007 red Burgundy I've had, have been angular and stern. This one was rounder and easy going, while still maintaining the Bachelet structure, with some nice cherry notes. Time has been kind to this wine and it delivered more than I expected.
Diane
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: from the past couple of weeks

by JC (NC) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Coincidence again. Brian Miller posted on a 2007 Larkmead Cabernet Sauvignon that I have in my collection and Diane posts on the 2006 Mon Aieul of which I have one bottle. I also have a 2005 regular Pierre Usseglio CdP but no other vintages from this producer. I will hold my 2006 for a few more years and hope that the fruit hangs on as the tannins integrate. Thanks for the note.