The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rieslings and Spätburgunders

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Rieslings and Spätburgunders

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:09 am

2012 Jochen Beurer Stettener Riesling Gipskeuper was easily delicious, a no-brainer of juicy clear freshness that had me convinced from the first sip. Buy more.

2009 Jochen Beurer Riesling Junges Schwaben caused me more problems. There were all kinds of rich, savory, and tactile elements and flavors that are not what I would expect from riesling (of course that's more about my expectations than the wine, I know). This was more in line with a bizarre Germanic muscadet/chablis prismed through riesling. But all of that stuff is interesting. The problem is that the wine is so disjointed and cranky. On another board, people who drink this wine more often are debating whether it is shutting down or just a bad bottle. I can't adjudicate.

1998 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese GK from a 375 opened up over a couple of hours to become the rich golden package of lightness that you would expect to enjoy. And enjoy I did!

2008 Salwey Oberrotweiler Käsleberg Spätburgunder was a light and fragrant spätburgunder that still had enough tension to go well with tagliatelle and oyster mushrooms. Pleasant. And that was fine.

2008 Dr. Heger Ihringer Winklerberg Spätburgunder *** GG was deeper and more complex. Flavor-wise still showing the fairly straight-forward earthy and floral spätburgunder profile, but with air the fine tannic structure becomes more and more evident and this was very nice. The first wine in a long time that my wife has gone back to take repeated pours. (Not necessarily because it was the best wine we've drunk, but it was good and she was in the mood, so it all came together)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Rieslings and Spätburgunders

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Mmm Prum Goldkap!
Decisions are made by those who show up