The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A wine fridge question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

A wine fridge question

by Tim York » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 am

I installed and filled three Liebherr WKt 6451 wine fridges about a couple of months ago.

The manufacturer claims an even temperature throughout the fridge. I set the fridges' temperature at 14°C (57°F). I noticed that bottles of red taken from the top of the fridge were almost at the right temperature for drinking and on checking found the temperature there about 15°C (59°F); not in itself a serious discrepancy. However the temperature on the bottom shelf is as low as 11°C (52°F) in the two fridges which I have tested and I have no reason to think it different in the third.

Would you consider this within the range of accuracy for an even temperature fridge :? or would you suggest complaining to the supplier while the guarantee is still valid?

If I had known this when I loaded the fridge, I would have put the whites at the bottom.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: A wine fridge question

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:30 am

So we've basically got a +/- 3.5 from a mean temp of 55.5. You could certainly ask them if that is within normal/accepted range of uniformity, but given that it is a commercial product I would not expect much more consistency than that.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:45 am

I've noticed the same thing (although I didn't measure it) in my Avanti.

But aside from being particular about the manufacturer's claims, is there any problem with the variation? I don't know how long you want to keep the wines but 59F doesn't seem like a problem for the wines?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:21 am

Our Haier 40 bottle storage unit is set at 57 F and it varies from 54 F to 59 F bottom to top. I keep the sparklers and dessert wines toward the bottom and the robust reds toward the top. I have more than 50 bottles jammed into the thing.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:56 am

I wouldn't be concerned about the temperature variation. If it really bothers you, you could try setting up a small, battery-operated fan to circulate the air continuously.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 am

Rahsaan wrote:I've noticed the same thing (although I didn't measure it) in my Avanti.

But aside from being particular about the manufacturer's claims, is there any problem with the variation? I don't know how long you want to keep the wines but 59F doesn't seem like a problem for the wines?

I not particularly concerned about the temperature variation other than the fact that I would have loaded the fridges differently if I had know beforehand. I noticed that my whites, and particularly Champagne, aged less well in my former passive cellar than the reds and I would have put them at the bottom.

Nearly all my reds at the top of the fridges probably have a longer life expectation than I do myself :( so 15°C - 59°F is not a problem, but 2002 Burgundies currently on the bottom shelf at 11°C - 52°F are likely to mature too slowly.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:17 am

It's also interesting to hear that so many folks have units where it is cooler on the bottom. I guess that makes sense because heat rises, but my Avanti must have the cooler/fan on the top, because the top shelves are cooler than the bottom.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:19 am

The best design is to have the cooler blow air into the top of the unit. But if your unit is properly insulated, most of the time the cooler is off, and at that point the denser, cooler air will settle to the bottom and the less dense, warmer air will rise. If you want to prevent this, you have to keep the air circulating and mixing.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Rahsaan wrote:It's also interesting to hear that so many folks have units where it is cooler on the bottom. I guess that makes sense because heat rises, but my Avanti must have the cooler/fan on the top, because the top shelves are cooler than the bottom.
Rahsaan, I think it also has to do with the racking and how full the cellar is. If you've got wire racking and plenty of empty space, it's easier for the cooler air to fall to the bottom. If it's wood racking and chock full, the air exiting the cooler may have nowhere to go.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:54 pm

wnissen wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:It's also interesting to hear that so many folks have units where it is cooler on the bottom. I guess that makes sense because heat rises, but my Avanti must have the cooler/fan on the top, because the top shelves are cooler than the bottom.
Rahsaan, I think it also has to do with the racking and how full the cellar is. If you've got wire racking and plenty of empty space, it's easier for the cooler air to fall to the bottom. If it's wood racking and chock full, the air exiting the cooler may have nowhere to go.

Yeah, mine is pretty full so I always thought that was the explanation. Although I never really thought much about it because even the 'warmest' bottles are cool enough.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Well I got myself a fridge thermometer - this one:
http://thermometer.co.uk/catering-therm ... meter.html
It seems to work nicely, with a claimed accuracy of +-1C.

Here are some measurements from roughly the middle of each shelf of my two Liebherr WKr4676 fridges, set to 12C.

Code: Select all

Fridge 1   Fridge 2
Top shelf       12.7         12.7
5               12.6         12.1
4               12.1         12.1
3               12.1         11.7
2               12.3         12.3
1               12.8         12.8
Bottom shelf    14.0         13.7
The min/max function showed very little variation on each shelf, usually 0.1C.

I am reasonably happy with the results. But the bottom shelf is a bit on the warm side, which seems to be contrary to what other people get and contrary to what intuition would suggest. It might be because the bottom shelf does not go all the way back and the temperatures were taken closer to the door. More investigations are in progress :)