The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Ridge East Bench Zinfandel 2012

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TN: Ridge East Bench Zinfandel 2012

by Saina » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:26 pm

It's rare to find anything US here so considering my past positive experiences with Ridge, I had to buy one Ridge East Bench Zinfandel 2012 to try when it became available. There seems to be something missing in this wine that made those other Ridges so palatable. Or maybe it's more a case of there just being too much here: it's a big wine with 15% abv (that's Alko's lab's figure, the bottle says 14,5%), it's spicy and not just spice from the grape but seemingly from oak; it's very sweet, almost jammy, and the finish is hot. There are some positives, too: the fruit seems a little bit more toned down than in most Zins we've seen here and there's adequate structure. At least on day one this is almost there, but doesn't quite make it. I'll post again if tomorrow's portion makes a significant turn for the better. If only we had Geyserville or Lytton Springs I would choose those any day over this.

So why didn't this get to the same level as the other Ridge Zins I've had? Is it that Zinfandel really does need a bit of other grapes (this is 100% Zin, IIRC the other two were mostly Zin but with about 20-25% other grapes)?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: TN: Ridge East Bench Zinfandel 2012

by Tom Troiano » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:07 pm

This isn't one I regularly buy (I've bought every vintage of Geyserville and Lytton since 1985) but I think its just too young. My guess is that it will be much better in 4-8 years.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:27 pm

I've always thought this wine was the weakest link in the Ridge portfolio. It never comes close to the other zin related wines that are widley available (Geyserville, Lytton Springs).
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi Otto,
Ridge’s East Bench Vineyard is their only single variety site; East Bench Zinfandel is produced from vines planted in 2000 and 2001 (first commercial vintage 2006).

Salute
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:44 am

John S wrote:I've always thought this wine was the weakest link in the Ridge portfolio. It never comes close to the other zin related wines that are widley available (Geyserville, Lytton Springs).

Ditto--never had an East Bench that matched my expectations for anything Ridge.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am

Victorwine wrote:Hi Otto,
Ridge’s East Bench Vineyard is their only single variety site; East Bench Zinfandel is produced from vines planted in 2000 and 2001 (first commercial vintage 2006).

Salute

What exactly do you mean by this as there are 2-3 other Ridge Zins that are often/always 100% Zin?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:08 am

Tom Troiano wrote:
Victorwine wrote:Hi Otto,

Salute

What exactly do you mean by this as there are 2-3 other Ridge Zins that are often/always 100% Zin?

I think he means it is the only vineyard planted exclusively to zinfandel.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Rahsaan wrote: I think he means it is the only vineyard planted exclusively to zinfandel.

That surprises me but I won't argue.

Perhaps the other 2-3 100% Zins from Ridge aren't from a single vineyard.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Pagani Ranch is a blend of grapes from a single site.

The Paso Robles is 100% zin, but a blend of sites.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Pagani Ranch is a blend of grapes from a single site.

The Paso Robles is 100% zin, but a blend of sites.

David,

I'm not sure we're communicating here. Pagani is not 100% Zinfandel. The non ATP Ridge wines that are sometimes/often/always 100% Zinfandel are:

East Bench
Heart's Desire
Dusi
Paso Robles

What I was/am questioning is the statement the East Bench is the only (Ridge controlled) vineyard planted 100% exclusively to Zinfandel.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Ah. Got it.

I gave up on ATP wines. Not enough bang for the buck.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:29 pm

On the Ridge website there is an interactive map of their estate vineyard sites (I believe Tom Hill pointed this out to us). It shows each estate vineyard of Ridge and if applicable the name of each parcel (sub-vineyard – especially if they are segmented or historical) and the number and name of a block. Each block could be planted to a single variety or a blend of varieties. As noted by Rahsaan the East Bench vineyard (as of now) is exclusively planted to Zinfandel, So if Ridge designates a wine as East Bench it could only be 100% Zin. I’m not saying Ridge cannot produce a 100% Zin from Geyserville vineyard or Lytton vineyard (as noted by Tom they do) but they could also produce a “traditional blend” with the same designation.
Looking at the label of a Heart’s Desire it has a Geyserville designation (the grapes were sourced from the Heart’ Desire Zin Block of the Geyserville vineyard -Old Patch?). I notice they have a Heart’s Desire Zin Block in both Lytton and East Bench vineyards; it wouldn’t surprise me if we see a Ridge Heart’s Desire Zin with a Dry Creek Valley AVA designation (Lytton and East Bench are in the Dry Creek Valley AVA, Geyserville is in the Alexander Valley AVA) or just a Ridge Heart’s Desire Zin (a “blend” from all three estate vineyards).

Salute
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 am

Victorwine wrote:On the Ridge website there is an interactive map of their estate vineyard sites (I believe Tom Hill pointed this out to us). It shows each estate vineyard of Ridge and if applicable the name of each parcel (sub-vineyard – especially if they are segmented or historical) and the number and name of a block. Each block could be planted to a single variety or a blend of varieties. As noted by Rahsaan the East Bench vineyard (as of now) is exclusively planted to Zinfandel, So if Ridge designates a wine as East Bench it could only be 100% Zin. I’m not saying Ridge cannot produce a 100% Zin from Geyserville vineyard or Lytton vineyard (as noted by Tom they do) but they could also produce a “traditional blend” with the same designation.
Looking at the label of a Heart’s Desire it has a Geyserville designation (the grapes were sourced from the Heart’ Desire Zin Block of the Geyserville vineyard -Old Patch?). I notice they have a Heart’s Desire Zin Block in both Lytton and East Bench vineyards; it wouldn’t surprise me if we see a Ridge Heart’s Desire Zin with a Dry Creek Valley AVA designation (Lytton and East Bench are in the Dry Creek Valley AVA, Geyserville is in the Alexander Valley AVA) or just a Ridge Heart’s Desire Zin (a “blend” from all three estate vineyards).

Salute

Thanks!!
Tom T.