The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dave's bday dinner- Etna, Prosecco, and 26 yr old Bojo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Dave's bday dinner- Etna, Prosecco, and 26 yr old Bojo

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:44 pm

So Betsy got home from Maine and we got ready for Dave’s birthday/going away dinner. His aunt and her family came, and his half-brother from Denmark joined us later. We started off with duck breast proscuitto (I need a meat slicer!) wrapped around asparagus spears or melon, with a few melon/mozzarella canapes for the non-meat-eaters. Wine was the NV Sommariva Prosecco di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene Superiore Brut,. Bright, light, zesty, clean, citrus and pear aromas. I think this is a fine value at $15. B/B+
Dinner was lobster/corn/tomato salad (on theory there won’t be $5/lb lobster in CA) with grilled squash, green salad, and melon. Wine was the 2012 Graci Etna Bianco. Full and rich with a good acidic backbone. Floral, pit fruits, good finish. B+
We also opened the 1988 Bloud/Ch. du Moulin-a-Vent “Cuvee Exceptionelle” Moulin-a-Vent (mag). This was very cheap in a CSW offering last year (I think $30 for the 1.5L) and I had low expectations. On opening it seemed tired and quite bretty, but maybe reduction not brett as it cleaned up and the fruit became younger and more expressive. Round, with black cherry, earth and leather. Happy it’s alive, but can’t say it was especially complex, tasted like somewhat generic older Pinot Noir (when Gamay ages do they call this pinosity or pinotsity?). Still, for price I was happy with it for a birthyear wine. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dave's bday dinner- Etna, Prosecco, and 26 yr old Bojo

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 pm

When did the real turnaround in the quality of Beaujolais happen?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Dave's bday dinner- Etna, Prosecco, and 26 yr old Bojo

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:28 am

I think Chauvet met the Gang of Four in late 70s and early 80s. Even before that, I'm sure there were plenty of careful quality oriented winemakers. But about the same time Lapierre and friends were getting serious, the whole nouveau craze started, and much (most?) of Beaujolais was devoted to quick turnaround wine (mostly dreck). I think that was true through most of 80s and 90s. A lot of the people I buy seem to have emerged late 90s.
I'm not familiar with this producer, but as noted, Chambers had a big collection of Beaujolais (mostly 90s) from one source, some of the others were producers I liked, so figured might be worth chancing $30-35 for a mag from Dave's birthyear. Had a 88 Canon in reserve, not needed, but no hurry on those.