The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Washburgnaheloiremosel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: Washburgnaheloiremosel

by Andrew Bair » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 pm

2012 Portteus Winery Petit Verdot Rattlesnake Hills
Full-bodied, moderately tannic/acidic, round and slightly fleshy. Shows blueberry and black cherry fruit, with lava, grilled meat, and coffee aromas/flavors. Very good.

2011 Domaine Henri Prudhon et Fils Saint-Aubin Blanc Le Ban
Medium-bodied, rounder/somewhat fatter, almost like a baby Meursault with no oak. Mineral, with notes of apples, lemon, and anise. Good+.

2001 Hexamer Meddersheimer Rheingrafenberg Riesling Hochgewächs
Round, a bit more viscous than expected, well balanced, with apple, tropical, red berry, and lightly citrus notes, and transparent minerality. Less elegant/mineral than I would expect Hexamer’s 2001 MR Spätlese to be, but still quite good for this level of wine.

2000 Lamé-Delille-Boucard – Domaine des Chesnaies Bourgueil Cuvée Prestige
Nose of cherries, leaves, and a bit of bell pepper. Medium-bodied, somewhat earthy/leafy, with cranberry, tobacco, and smoke notes, plus a bit of yellow peach on the back end. Tannins are smooth, but not fully integrated yet. Very good/excellent.

1993 Willi Haag Brauneberger Mandelgarten Riesling Eiswein
From 375 ml bottle. Rather dark orange color. Floral, with some petrol, spice, and coffee on the nose. Expectedly sweet, with good acidity; layered with smoky, lightly slaty, orange and apricot flavors. This would be an excellent wine if not for the finish, which is shorter than anticipated, and seems to slam on the brakes. Even so, it’s still very nice.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN: Washburgnaheloiremosel

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 am

Thanks for the excellent notes, Andrew. I thought the 2001 Hexamer Hochgewachs was really excellent about 9-10 months back, I'm glad to see your note on it (though I think I may have been even higher on it than you).

Best,
Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:24 am

The original release 2001 Hexamer MR Kabinett, Spatlese & Auslese are just starting to come into their own.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:19 pm

Interesting to see Portteus wines make it to Massachusetts. They're a very decent winery. The wines aren't very consistent, except that they're consistently rustic vs. elegant, but when they're good they can be amazingly good value. I've never seen the straight PV, sounds like something that would a winery-only purchase. Did you buy it here, or someone bring it to you?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Interesting to see Portteus wines make it to Massachusetts. They're a very decent winery. The wines aren't very consistent, except that they're consistently rustic vs. elegant, but when they're good they can be amazingly good value. I've never seen the straight PV, sounds like something that would a winery-only purchase. Did you buy it here, or someone bring it to you?

Hi Jenise - I bought the Portteus Petit Verdot at a local retailer here (Lower Falls Wine in Newton). Haven't tried any of their other wines before - are there any in particular that I should keep an eye out for?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Andrew Bair wrote:
Jenise wrote:Interesting to see Portteus wines make it to Massachusetts. They're a very decent winery. The wines aren't very consistent, except that they're consistently rustic vs. elegant, but when they're good they can be amazingly good value. I've never seen the straight PV, sounds like something that would a winery-only purchase. Did you buy it here, or someone bring it to you?

Hi Jenise - I bought the Portteus Petit Verdot at a local retailer here (Lower Falls Wine in Newton). Haven't tried any of their other wines before - are there any in particular that I should keep an eye out for?

The inconsistency I mentioned makes it hard to recommend anything, and I don't have a locally available option for trying their lineup. But I can say that the 2012 vintage, which is coming into the marketplace now, is one of the most classic WA vintages in a long while and Portteus' wines from this vintage should show very very well.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Jenise wrote:
Andrew Bair wrote:

The inconsistency I mentioned makes it hard to recommend anything, and I don't have a locally available option for trying their lineup. But I can say that the 2012 vintage, which is coming into the marketplace now, is one of the most classic WA vintages in a long while and Portteus' wines from this vintage should show very very well.

Thanks for the advice, Jenise!