The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Older Calif Rhones..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Older Calif Rhones..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 pm

After 6 old Zins went down the drain, I finally scored:
1. Domaine de la TerreRouge Calif RTW ("sophisticated blend of southern RhoneVlly varietals") Plymouth 1989: Med.light color w/ some bricking; some cedary/pencilly/oldRed slight oxidized light blackberry/strawberry some smokey/Rhonish/roasted/rustic slight briary bit alcoholic fairly complex nose; soft slight tangy/grapefruity/metallic light strawberry/Grenache bit Rhonish/smokey flavor w/ light/bitey tannins; med.long light Rhonish/smokey/toasty/oak slight strawberry/Grenache/briary bit metallic/tangy finish w/ light/bitey/astringent tannins; starting to show its age but still a pleasure to drink; speaks mostly of aged Grenache.
2. Qupe Syrah CentralCoast (12.5%) 1990: Med.light color w/ little bricking; beautiful smokey/pungent/Rhonish/roasted/espresso/pencilly strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/spicy complex old Calif Syrah lovely nose; fairly tart/tangy/grapefruity quite smokey/cedary/pungent/toasty/roasted/Rhonish/pencilly/cedary some blackberry/blueberry/Syrah complex flavor w/ light/angular tannins; quite long some blackberry/blueberry/Syrah strong cedary/pencilly/smokey/pungent/bit Rhonish/coffee finish w/ light/sharp tannins; still has plenty of fruit left and has developed that classic Lindquist smokey/Rhonish complexity they tend to show w/ age.
$11.00 (Kellys)
1. The Qupe is BobLindquist's basic Syrah. At one time it carried a Calif appellation when he was using a bit of old-vine Lodi Carignane..but he did that for only a few yrs. This CC Syrah is a blend of PasoRobles and SBC Syrah. I find his basic (now) SBC Syrah ages amazing well.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two Older Calif Rhones..(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 pm

You have written so many good notes on the Qupe Syrahs that I decided to sign up for their club. Alas they do not ship to CT. So no Qupe for me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: WTN: Two Older Calif Rhones..(short/boring)

by Shaji M » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:15 pm

TomHill wrote:After 6 old Zins went down the drain, I finally scored:
1. [b]Domaine de la TerreRouge Calif RTW ......
Tom

I have known Terre Rouge wines to show well with age especially his better Syrahs. What's the "RTW" Tom?
-Shaji
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

That Be...

by TomHill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:54 am

Shaji M wrote:
TomHill wrote:After 6 old Zins went down the drain, I finally scored:
1. [b]Domaine de la TerreRouge Calif RTW ......
Tom

I have known Terre Rouge wines to show well with age especially his better Syrahs. What's the "RTW" Tom?
-Shaji

That be RedTableWine. I suspect the alcohol was up there and Bill didn't want to put it on the label,
so just put TW.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:56 am

David M. Bueker wrote:You have written so many good notes on the Qupe Syrahs that I decided to sign up for their club. Alas they do not ship to CT. So no Qupe for me.

Well that's a bummer, David. I would guess that Qupe has standard distribution in CT, though.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Well...

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:02 am

TomHill wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:You have written so many good notes on the Qupe Syrahs that I decided to sign up for their club. Alas they do not ship to CT. So no Qupe for me.

Well that's a bummer, David. I would guess that Qupe has standard distribution in CT, though.
Tom

Yes - at egregious prices.
Decisions are made by those who show up