The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My Favorite MoCool wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

My Favorite MoCool wines

by Jim Grow » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 pm

After thinking about it a bit, I have come up with a list of fmy favorite MoCool wines from last week-end. Without notes, they are as follows:

Spottswoode 2005 Cabernet
Mondavi Res. Cab. 2005
Coutet Sauternes 1999 (left over from Thru. nite Nolands party)
Pavie Decesse 2000 (my wine-I'm bias)
Pavie Macquin's both the 2006 & 7 (Jane & Julia's wines)
The Champagne Marwan brought to Joels in magnum (???)
bocksbutel of Riesling John T. opened
Lail 2005 Cabernet
Figgins Cabernet that Ol' Willy brought (vintage ???)
Alexander Valley "Cyrus" Cab. in double mag. (what a bottle!!! 1998 IIRC)

I'm sure I have left out some more fabulous wines but that is just what I recall at the moment. Many great wines I missed altogether. What are others favorites?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: My Favorite MoCool wines

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:09 pm

I especially liked the 2009 Sineann Wy'East Vineyard Pinot Noir from Oregon that Jim opened at the campground and saved a bit for me to try. My favorite German Riesling from John Trombley was the 2009 Selbach-Oster "Rotlay" Zeltinger Sonnenuhr. Sticking with the 2009 vintage, I also was enamored with one of my bottles at the Friday night party, the 2009 Alysian Wines (Gary Farrell) Rochioli Vineyard Edgewater Pinot Noir. With Gary Farrell leaving winemaking for other interests, I won't have access to many of these again. (sigh) This was a Russian River Valley Pinot. I also liked another RRV Pinot Noir on the off-theme table at the Saturday picnic--the 2011 Orogeny that Kathy brought. The grapes are more specifically from the Green Valley appellation of Sonoma County, CA.

I missed out on the Spottswoode, Robert Mondavi Cab Reserve, Lynch Bages and a bunch of others. I did like my 2006 Pavie Macquin and Jim Grow's 2000 Pavie Decesse. I didn't get a taste of the 1990 Warre's Vintage Port but did really enjoy a small pour of the 1990 Dow (decanted by Dave Cohen.) Also liked the Sauternes I had but didn't get the specifics on vintage and producer. I liked all three wines I tried from Lorenzo (his Aeronautique winery in Michigan)--a Riesling, a Syrah, and a dessert Cabernet Sauvignon in passito style. I only tried one wine from Jim Lester's Wyncroft Winery, Buchanan, MI as the crowd around the vertical was imposing. Same with Ridge Lytton Springs vertical at the Friday night party--I think I only got to try the 2002 vintage. I might have tried more Bordeaux wines but some of the participants on both sides of the table refused to budge to let others have pours. I had to have Julia B. hand me the 2006 Pavie Macquin to open it as there was no way I could reach it through the crowd. Show a little courtesy folks! After that, when I opened my 1996 Cain Five, I took it around to about three of the picnic tables to be sure some who expressed interest would have a chance to try it. It didn't thrill me though--okay, but maybe more mature than I prefer a wine to be.

Great time as usual! I hope to be back next year for a non-Bordeaux theme.

I was grateful for the coach ride to and from the Friday night party and extremely grateful to the organizers for another superb MO'COOL weekend.

I was able to sample Howie Hart's Gewurztraminer but I'm not sure I ever got around to his BlauFrankische (Lemberger). I had something else in my glass when it was first offered.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:21 pm

I always look forward to the TNs from this event so thanks.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 pm

The Friday night party at Joel and Sally's was an amazement of Rhones and Burgundies. I especially remember a Beaucastel and a Volnay that were outstanding. There were also a pair of Cote Roties that deserve a special mention. I can't forget the Billicart-Salmon 2000 vintage champagne either.

The picnice featured some excellent California wines as well as an 86 Lynch Bages I really enjoyed. I liked the 05 Spottswood and the Mondavi. I also enjoyed all the Pavie Maquin wines. The food prepared by Chef Alan was outstanding! The Duck confitte was amazing! Special thanks to JB, Mike Hughes and the MoCool crew!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 pm

James Roscoe wrote:.... I can't forget the Billicart-Salmon 2000 vintage champagne either. ...

I was fortunate enough to get a taste of the champagne and agree. Hard to forget.

Also, the Lytton Springs min-vertical on Friday night. The 97 didn't suck!

Most of the Saturday wines are a blur. There was an 82 Bordeaux (forgot the producer) that was quite an experience for me. The first time I've had a wine that old; I could have sat on the deck with a bottle of it for the rest of the afternoon. I envy all who have such wines in their cellars.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

by Joshua Kates » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Just dropped in :)
Follows are my notes/list from both Friday PM and Sat. The latter, along with much else, featured a Napa "Big Boy" 2005 horizontal. Upon its conclusion I staggered over to the bounty of Bordeaux that was being opened. It may already be obvious to many on this board, but my take away was aged Bordeaux beats Napa Meritage "going away," as the horseplayers say. Much greater clarity, definition, complexity on the whole. This is not to dismiss Napa, though admittedly it may seem like that, but rather to suggest that their single varietal offerings, Cab especially, but also Merlot, may be the way to go, IMHO.

Fri PM
Vilmart champers; lovely
98 Ogier Cote-Rotie—way too bretty and acid, over the top; off bottle?
99 Levet Cote Rotie—lovely, light balanced wine, full of finesse, violets, Burgundian, beautiful
96? Chapoutier Hermitage—a little bretty, but then iron, blood, minerality, fascinating wine
2003 Dehlinger—nice nose, red fruits, but for me a little too smooth--almost shellacked surface.
2007 Rhys Horseshoe Ranch Pinot (mine)
Still too young—dark, brooding; at first surprisingly Cali-ish, Santa Maria dark frui;, but pedigree shows after a while, greater complexity, much promise
2008 Williams-Seleym Westside(?), nice full bodied, well-rounded, pretty
1995 Hagelin-Jayer Clos Vougeot: still too young—dusty, roses, red fruit not especially pronounced—acid is there,

Sat

Napa Big Boys (plus first)

CASA LAPOSTOLLE CLOS APALTA COLCHAGUA VALLEY 2005 (mine) Drinking really well, classic bordeaux, complex, long finish, not wildly distinguished, but very correct
Mondavi Reserve 2005 (Strawberry, lighter in style, still too young)
Spottswoode Estate 2005 Dusty (in a stylish way), berries, complex finish, classy—good but not mind blowing.
Lail Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, J. Daniel Cuvée 2005, I thought this was a little off, then opens up--seemed somehow different from the others. Some loved, others had doubt.
Foley Claret 2005 Slight VA on the nose, blows off, substantial, complex, thick, yet Bordeaux-ish--well made wine
Opus One 2005 Still a baby; teeth coating tannins, long long finish. If it comes around, it may be special, but not clear to me it will.
Insignia 2005 (mine) Finish goes on and on, all Bordeaux notes are there, amped up; tannins still quite detectable, with the ribs (served w/rub) remarkable, needed to be balanced
Sullivan 2005 More merlot, olives in the glass surprisingly.
Merus 2005 Huge wine, at first approaching port (15.6% alc); settles down in glass, still rich but more complexity shows. (Something Rossini would have liked with his Tournedos?)

Bordeaux
69 Lagune (tired)
82 **Gruaud Larose—beautiful right now, singing; classic older bordeaux notes, but then some iron, minerality, soars toward the finish, beautiful, balanced wine, I could drink all day.
82**Leoville Les Cases other WOTN; not the depth of the Gruaud, but so pretty, balanced, in a perfect place right now, bright and lively, tannins integrated, but definitely could age
82 Leoville Barton, some thought corked, if so, not greatly, just a bruiser (a little bretty), still needs time but lots of promise
82 Camensac did not show well in this company
86 Lynch-Bages still too young, tannic—plenty of promise
95 Comtesse de la Lalande; maybe a little closed down; not tannic, but was not yet showing a lot, other than its trademark elegance. Did not get up and dance on two feet like some of the previous wines.
98 Grand-Puy-Lacoste, this wine will never drink better than right now; balanced, forthright Paulliac, very tasty. First one tasted after Cali’s and I have to say I preferred it to all of them for its clarity and definition.

Others
1992 Ridge, starting to open, great depth; in this company seemed a little too Cali?
1999 and 1991 Dominus, both slightly sketchy bottles?
1983 Reiussec; I thought drank better than the Coutet, which had something funky in the finish. Just beautiful wine, drinking perfectly.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:55 am

Excellent notes, all! Thank you so much! You have no idea how much it warms my heart that you were all there, and I do hope to see you next year! MoCool is as much about the people as the wines. Looking forward to the "family reunion" 2015!

Cheers,
JuliaB
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:10 am

So where are the photos :D .
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:23 am

I, too, am enjoying the TNs - especially regarding the wines I did not taste.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:16 pm

The food was indeed superb! Especially loved the selection of cheeses, the duck confit, and the fresh tomatoes.