The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Quivira DryCreekCuvee '88..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Quivira DryCreekCuvee '88..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:24 am

Tried this little gem last night:
1. Quivira DryCreekCuvee DryCreekVlly (40% PS/35% Grenache/25% Zin; 13.5%) 1988: Med.dark color w/ little bricking; bit earthy/dusty/OV some vanilla/Am.oak/toasty/smokey/ozone some peppery/earthy/PS slight raspberry/Zin slight spicy/herbal fairly complex quite attractive nose; bit tart/tangy/metallic some spicy/raspberry/Zin/peppery/PS/strawberry some vanilla/Am.oak flavor w/ light/bit astringent tannins; med.long light spicy/raspberry/Zin bit peppery/PS/strawberry some tangy/metallic bit toasty/smokey/oak finish w/ light/bitey tannins; still has good/bright fruit and cruising right along nicely into spinsterhood; quite a nice fully mature red.
1. The founder of Quivera was, I recall, banker BillHambrecht. His founding winemaker was none other than DougNalle. It was then purchased by Hank&Holly Wendt. Around 2006, they sold it to finiancial guy PeteKight. He also purchased TorbreckWnry. He eventually fired winemaker/partner DavidPowell...which left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. I believe HughChappelle is the present winemaker at Quivira. I've not tried any of their recent wines and find no compelling reason to do so.
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: Quivira DryCreekCuvee '88..(short/boring)

by John Treder » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for the history, Tom. I fell out of love with Quivira after the Wendts sold it.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:59 pm

It's a pretty place, but in a world of limited money and unlimited wines, this place is falling off my buy list.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE their neighbors, Preston Family. I know some here say that Lou Preston is now phoning it in, but I find his Syrahs and Zins quite tasty.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:05 am

I really liked their wines in the late 90s and very early 2000s, but we stopped buying after their wines sort of stopped being exciting. There was a sameness about them. Wonder how they fare now! Thanks for the note Tom.
-Shaji