The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: AOC51

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: AOC51

by Saina » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 pm

AOC51 is a newish importer. But to put it bluntly, their wines tend to be pretty awesome. I've previously written about some Graci wines from Etna that they import. But they apparently have lots of other great stuff as well. These wines were opened yesterday at some tasting I wasn't able to participate in, but I was kindly given the remains to try. So do keep in mind that these have had a day of air.

Catherine Bernard Vin de France Rosé de Table 2013
Carignan. At the deep end of salmon pink. Really lovely, fresh, mineral scent, a little bit earthy. Vibrant and nicely acidic though fairly substantial. Very moreish.

Catherine Bernard Vin de Table 2013
A red Carignan. Really nice berry aromas, earthy and savoury but with some lactic, yoghurt aromas, too. Good crunch on the palate, dense and tannic but light on its feet, refreshing and moreish finish. Lovely. So what's the problem with Carignan? Why all the hate? From Treloar's and this, it's a genuinely interesting grape at best.

P-U-R 3 Artiste 2011
100% Mourvèdre. I love Mourvèdre. Alas, I only got to try this after a day open and this hadn't survived a day of air gracefully and though it was perfectly enjoyable and gluggable it didn't show much character of the grape, it was instead a bit raisiny. I have loved some P-U-R Beaujolais, however, and I hope to try some of their other wines in the future to see if they're as brilliant. But if you ever see a P-U-R Beaujolais, please do try it.

Bernard Baudry Chinon 2011
Amazing stuff for what is supposedly a basic wine. There is nothing basic about this. There's a lovely loamy touch to the fruit here - it's a very savoury and earthy style. It has amazingly pure tannins and purity of fruit, too, so it is just amazing fun. I find a lovely touch of good greenness here, too, and I think it is only a good thing with this grape. Lean, mean and green may seem pejorative to some but with this wine it's just a positive. Awesome wine!

Andréa Calek Babiole
A blend of Grenache and Syrah from Ardèche. It smells very "natural" and very nice. It's a sweetly fruity wine, obviously in the "natural" camp. Good structure and liveliness. This is the good type of naturalism: clean, pure, typical, moreish yet different and interesting.

Andréa Calek Chatons de Garde
A 100% Syrah from Ardèche. Meaty, dark fruit with again wonderful liveliness and structure on the palate. Lovely wine and again it seemed like what naturalism ideally should be: not freaky but wonderfully tasty and just different enough that I can still sense the grape but can see the different approach to wine making, too.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: AOC51

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:03 am

Are the Calek wines NV or is that a typo?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:07 am

Not a typo, they are by law NV but their importer told me that they're both from 2012.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi Otto -

Thank you for the notes. I saw Calek's wines in Massachusetts a few years ago, and regret not trying at least one of them (not sure exactly which ones, but think that there was a white and a red).